Rookie status??

Thread: Rookie status??

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

Rookie status??

I have entered this race and have nominated all 3 divisions but will be starting the High Route once I sort out a couple of problems with the Duenna and P3D settings.

The question I am asking is this. As I have never taken part in an event like this would I be counted as a rookie. Ii meant to ask when I posted my entry.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

A Rookie you will be, Pat.

How is the P3D system working with the Duenna?

--M
    -Mike

Still getting reds on the Realism and yellow on the weather. Going to make more adjustments today and do a flight and post a result so the committee can decide if I am allowed to continue.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Still getting reds on the Realism and yellow on the weather. Going to make more adjustments today and do a flight and post a result so the committee can decide if I am allowed to continue.
    Yellow on the Weather is OK if not using MS Weather. You said you were using Active Sky... although your Duenna returns a value of '0' (mine returns a '2').

Pat... Looking at your Duenna txt file (http://fs-duenna.com/flights/logs/RZ...hZhystvUng.txt) I see that:

REALISM/CrashDetection: 'True' (NOT GOOD)

Why I have no idea the "not good" as 'True' the proper flag.

I did see in the prepar3d sdk that there is an "OnCrashAction" that occurs in response to a crash. From http://www.prepar3d.com/sdk/sdk%20overview.html :

----------------------------------------
    In Prepar3D.cfg, in the [Realism] section, the following settings determine what happens when the user aircraft crashes. Care should be taken in multiplayer scenarios, particularly using the shared-cockpit, that the settings are identical on all computers -- otherwise there will be unpredictable behavior.

CrashDetection True=Detect user aircraft crashes and respond according to the setting of OnCrashAction, False=ignore all crashes by "bouncing" the aircraft back into a safe flying state.

OnCrashAction In single player mode: 0=reset the flight from the beginning (the default), 1=end the flight, 2=leave the user aircraft in the crashed position. In multiplayer mode for options 0 and 1 a client will simply be returned to the briefing room, and the host will be left either in the crashed state (for missions), or the flight will be reset (for free flight). Option 2 works the same as for single player mode -- the user aircraft for both host and client will be left in the crashed position.
    ----------------------------------------

I would go into the prepar3d.cfg and under the Realism section and try changing the OnCrashAction variable from 0 to 1 or 2 and see if that makes any difference.

-Rob

Thanks Rob. All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Pat

Tried those settings you suggested Rob but they did not work. Not sure where the FSX Legacy switch is.Another problem surfaced in a trial flight last night. I was flying in the vicinity of Mount Rainier when the engines shut down and I crashed. When this happened I was at about 12500ft and assumed it was because of icing in the carburettor. I reloaded the flight at Olympia and searched the instrument panel but could not find any levers or switches for carby heat. There are switches for pitot heat.Are these in the Duke?

Cheers
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Tried those settings you suggested Rob but they did not work. Not sure where the FSX Legacy switch is.Another problem surfaced in a trial flight last night. I was flying in the vicinity of Mount Rainier when the engines shut down and I crashed. When this happened I was at about 12500ft and assumed it was because of icing in the carburettor. I reloaded the flight at Olympia and searched the instrument panel but could not find any levers or switches for carby heat. There are switches for pitot heat.Are these in the Duke?
    I found this but not sure if it part of the migration tool (located here: http://www.flightsim.ee/) "To run Prepar3D in Legacy Mode, navigate to Start menu Programs list, then to Lockheed Martin and Prepar3D, and click on Prepar3D Legacy Mode."

Sorry to hear about the Duenna stuff... I am at a loss (anyone else suggestions?). You might try emailing the author or posting on his forum. (http://johannesmueller.com/fsforum/v...88236b22046112). I am not sure if John (the author) is still active there.

Could have been carb heat necessary then. Or could have been mixture if you do not have "automixture" enabled. If you press "H" you will get that "carb heat" plus it activates the Prop Heat & L&R Fuel Vent Heat. L&R Pitot Heat switches are right next to L & R Fuel Switches.

Thanks Rob. Will have to search for the start menu in Windows 8.

Cheers
    Pat

Let's see what we can do.

First, the Duke has TIO-540 engines - thus fuel injection, thus no carbs to ice. The Mt. Rainier problem would therefore seem to be either a fuel issue (does it require changing tanks? or selecting them in some combination?) or (rarely) an electrical issue - no power to/thru the mags (some a/c default to Generators Off after start and so the battery would drain). Did both engines quit at the same time? There may be an icing issue (would be something like the 'ram air intake' problem a few Mooneys suffered), but there should be a switch for a heater if that's the case. I'd be thinking fuel/electric. Next, if it happens again, don't panic! set up Best Glide Speed (~80-100 kts - check the Pilot handbook) clean, and descent. below 10K try a restart, after you check fuel quantity, pumps, electrical switches and tanks selectors. If all else fails, a deadstick landing is possible. Save the gear and flaps for the last possible time - remember there may be no power and so it would be manual gear extension and no flaps. In the event, this would then allow you to just 'spilt the leg' as covered in the rules with no crash.

WX & Realism settings: If Duenna reads P3D as if it were FSX then yes, the yellow WX would be OK in Active Sky. However, Duenna does check the setting for "Download Winds Aloft with real world weather" so you have to have that set in the sim (FSX is under Options/Display/Weather) and/or in Active Sky. I'm not sure about the precise combo in the two programs - someone better-versed may be able to help.

Additionally, in the Realism settings in the Sim, where you set the 'sliders' for realism, it is often not enough to drag or click the bar to the right - it sometimes does not hit the extreme end of the range. You should click on the right arrow beside the slider ( a couple of times) to make sure it gets the hint. Then, when you have saved it all, close Duenna, close the sim and go to the folder where P3D saves the "Previous Flight" (FSX has 3 Prev Flt files - the .flt, the .wx and .FSSAVE) - delete all three. Then restart P3D, select a flight and get it loaded, then start Duenna. You may still get the same errors - unless P3D is vastly improved over FSX there is a quirk that sometimes takes a couple of Close/delete/restart cycles (a few people have found a reboot of the computer helps. Basically, Duenna wants to see everything correct as soon as it starts. If not it nags and holds a grudge until you get everything set and clean.

If you get it all to work, maybe Ms. M can get you a coupon for a free prop wash at one of the FBO's and you can write a book on "Racing P3D". Fame, fortune follow those who persevere.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Well it has finally happened. I was on the verge of throwing in the towel when I was struck with an idea. Why not send an email to the creator of the RTW Duenna.

So this afternoon (my time) I sent a very nice, polite email to John asking if he had any intention of upgrading the Duenna to P3D standard. I pointe out to him the problems with the weather and realism settings. I explained there may not be much can be done with the realism settings but could Duenna be updated to read addon weather such as Active Sky or REX.

Within a couple of hours he has replied explaining that he did not intend to do any upgrade at the moment as he does not have P3D. But he did come up with a suggestion that may work. I did what he suggested and viola! I have all greens.

It is a very simple workaround. If any p3d users want to know what it is just PM me and I will explain what to do.

If the committee members like Mike or Willy also wish to PM me I will run it past them also to see if it is allowable. Mike may even run it past the veritable Ms Murphy for me also.

I am now off to do a test flight from YWOL to YSTW.

Cheers
    Pat

Sad news fellas. After 2 weeks of chasing my tail trying to get the Duenna to work in P3D and contacting John himself who came up with an idea to get it to show all greens I have to declare myself a non starter.

I had succeeded in getting all greens on the Duenna but now health issues have intervened. As I have mentioned before I am a diabetic and subject to hypo episodes. They are not real bad ones as I know the signs of when they are about to hit and can take something containing sugar.

Unfortunately for some unknown reason I have had 9 episodes since last Sunday and am frightened if I start a flight and one comes on I will ignore it to complete the flight with disasterous results. If they keep up next week it will be off to the doctor and a possible stay in hospital while they adjust my dosages.

Anyway good luck fellas and happy flying.

Cheers
    Pat

As a fellow diabetic I understand completely.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.