My final callout... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My final callout...

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    Paul, the "1" should represent the last number in the Squadron designation, an example would be VF-101, the "M" should represent the "maintenance" department in such a USN/USMC squadron .... Mike :salute:
    He is with VFA-22 "Redcocks" flying the F-18/F and is primarily involved with hydraulics.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post
    He is with VFA-22 "Redcocks" flying the F-18/F and is primarily involved with hydraulics.
    I've added wings to my forthcoming FSX native B-58 Hustler. I'm certain you can't see them from the pilots cockpit without sticking your head out the window, but there's no way I want to have that sort of discussion rumbling on for years!

I choose to spend my time looking forward not back and I think Bone should do the same, keep with the hobby, his point has been made and I'm sure noted by the various modelling groups that frequent here.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    Paul, the "1" should represent the last number in the Squadron designation, an example would be VF-101, the "M" should represent the "maintenance" department in such a USN/USMC squadron .... Mike :salute:
    Totally OT here, but the "1" represents the squadron modex, as Paul mentioned, he is with -22, who are the 100 series in CVW-17. Back in the days when most of the guys on this forum were in the Nav, the 100/200 series were the F4/F14's, 300/400's were A7's. A plane captain would have a brown cranial with "1P" on the back and maybe some reflective tape shaped into the squadron's mascot/color scheme.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I'm reminded of an aircraft package that came out early in FSX that didn't include a 2D panel because the vendor didn't believe it was realistic or necessary. A lot of dissatisfied customers, and lost potential customers, didn't agree.

Given the exclusivity of FSX overall, and that it is a product with a shrinking customer base, it probably makes good business sense to just include things such as wing view and 2D panels up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Totally OT here, but the "1" represents the squadron modex, as Paul mentioned, he is with -22, who are the 100 series in CVW-17. Back in the days when most of the guys on this forum were in the Nav, the 100/200 series were the F4/F14's, 300/400's were A7's. A plane captain would have a brown cranial with "1P" on the back and maybe some reflective tape shaped into the squadron's mascot/color scheme.
    I made 3 cruises during my tenure...1980 to 1990, and besides the colors of the cranials, we never had those identifiers that I see on pauls. Can someone enlighten me when they started to do that? just for my own curiosity.

Ours were labeled with full squadron identifiers plus work centers..
    FSX Miramar XO, RAZBAM Flying Club founder, Team member, crud crew, beta tester, and all around good guy!

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    That's what crew chiefs are for.

Anyway, it's just a sim, right?. I go to spot view for that sort of thing.
    Wrong Frank old buddy. It's just a game. In a simulator the whole cockpit/flight deck moves up and down. My simulator only does that when my young grandson lifts the lever on my swivel chair or after the 6th Stella Artois.
    MickeyD

Line sevice tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Domingue View Post
    No. In the real world there is a man on the ground and the pilot watches him. Through hand signals he directs the pilot to activate control surfaces, speed brake, tail hook, etc. a lot of things the pilot cant see. The pilot never takes his eyes off the man outside his cockpit and gets the OK on systems and a good to go from him/her. This person is the only link the pilot has to anything unexpected happening outside his aircraft that could become a hazard. There is a special name for the person who does the preflight check in the navy but I forgot what it is.
    I comfirm what you said Paul,that person was me at one time.
    MFC-27/migbait