Flyon's Western Roundup
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flyon's Western Roundup

Flyon's Western Roundup

I am starting the event @ 00:40 in the Cessna 414A, from KBFI Boeing to CYPS Pemberton.
    In the Gold class on the High course with FSX default weather, GEX NA, UTX USA, and UTX Canada.

Landed at Pemberton. Started out a bit cloudy, but finished up with a nice clear night sky.

When logging into the Duenna, I wasn't sure what team I was to use, so I used SOH. Hope that's OK.

Attachment 85462

Attachment 85460

Attachment 85461

I fixed your logbook entry. It showed you last flight took 54 hours, instead of 54 minutes, hehe.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Thanks for fixing up my boo-boo Paul.Typing and/or trying to type at 01:45= not a great combination for yours truly here...lol

Departing Pemberton CYPS, en route to Castlegar CYCG. Cessna 414A Blue N749W, FSX.

This rookie's out. By the looks of it, I'm the first to go red Duenna here in this event. Nice...

Attachment 85584

Attachment 85585

Regardless of what the Duenna says, I didn't crash. "Aircraft Overstressed" is more like it. The default FSX wx engine sucks too.

Not the first. I believe I was first to overstress crash yesterday. And you are not out, just refly the leg without penalty.

Rookie Mulligans. As a rookie, you pay no penalty for your first four (4) crashes.4 For crash landings, you simply accept the leg as a valid leg with the time and fuel indicated on the Duenna. For other crashes, you repeat the leg without penalty. Bail-outs are free. However, altitude violations are subject to penalties.

Thanks Robert. To see that I wasn't the only one to over stress an engine is a bit reassuring. A slight consolation, if you will.
    I simply think that the FSX wx is way too unstable, even for "clear" conditions.

That stated, I would like to ask the rules committee for a platform change.

I wish to go to FS9, and use REX. If that's possible, then I will refly that last leg and move on from there.

The FS9 plane is the same as what I used in FSX, but with a different paint scheme.
    It is this (as shown in Duenna): "[P2] Cessna 414A_fix10". The plane's number is "N414JP".

Attachment 85605

I know the rules say this is not allowed, since the race has already begun.
    If the rules committee decides this move isn't possible, then it's no big deal -I simply figured I would try and ask anyways. Thanks.

flyon, I just ran your case past Ms. Murphy. She pointed out that the rules allow anyone to submit another "new" entry as the Cessna 414A with FS9 and REX weather. The only consequence is that it would not be eligible for the Blue Ribbon. That would mean going back to Seattle and recommencing. Not an awful chore.

Ms. Murphy tapped her pencil on the glass surfaced desk, wrinkled her brow, and gave it a thought. "As a rookie, flyon's just getting started. Let's see what we can do to get him flying right…"

"As requested, he may switch to FS9 with REX real time weather. He may continue from CYPS rather than from the beginning. And tell the young man that he wants to watch his airspeed gauges."

It sounds as though you are having trouble flying the route in FSX and would feel more comfortable in FS9. Fine. Because the aircraft is essentially the same as before, the original prize-eligible entry will stand. (The differences between FS9 and FSX will be minimal for this particular aircraft.) You may pick up from Pemberton (CYPS) and re-fly your CYPS-CYCG route. That is to say, you don't have to also re-fly the KBFI-CYPS leg that you have already completed. Note that your previous failed attempt at CYPS-CYCG will cost one of your four "free crashes" that you get as a Rookie.

Glad to see you in the air again.
    -Mike

Thanks for running my case past the good lady Mademoiselle Murphy, Mike. And please relay my appreciation to her for letting me fly on (no pun intended...lol) using the FS9 414A version instead of the FSX version.

Also relay to her that the "watch the airspeed gauges" advice is 'very sage advice' at this point, and a great suggestion on her part:

I had my barber pole set at 240-241, or somewhere like that. The plane redlines at close to 250, and @260 is pegging it:

Attachment 85684

(another rookie mistake: not having the "Reference" tab open in the shift-F10 window...)

Flying over mountains that reach over 11,000 feet, and me skimming them at 12-13-14,000 -that's just asking for trouble. No wonder I was getting those microbursts.
    If I would have cut back my barber pole to say 200-210-220, my plane might have taken those wind hits much better, instead of pegging the airspeed indicator every time those wind blasts occurred.

No wonder I overstressed after four of those bursts. Stock weather or not, that's too much stress on any plane.

Anyhow, I will continue on as advised. It won't be tonight, but I will resume the event soon.
    I have no problem accepting the penalty, nor did I have any problem having to redo the flight from Boeing Field if the commish felt it was necessary, for the integrity of the event.
    Truth be told, I'm happy enough just to tag along and fly with you guys here.

It's been a great flight plan so far (even after just 'two legs in' for me), and the area we are in is simply amazing scenery-wise to fly around in.

Thanks again Mike, and thanks again to the rules committee.

I'm leaving CYPS Pemberton, and I'm off to Castlegar CYCG.

Crashed. Number 2. 22 seconds in.

This time it was a legitimate crash into the trees at the end of runway 06. I barely got off the runway, and that was by only using pitch control.

My joystick went south. I tried to re-calibrate it, but when doing so, it wouldn't even sync up with the in-game calibration.
    It means it must be time for a new joystick. The Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X has finally gave out, after two years.

I have a Saitek x52 for a backup, but I'm not real high on it -guess I better get used to it now, being I have no choice in the matter.

Equipment problems on my end. First, my FSX gave me fits, compliments of a dumb REX update. Now it's a joystick problem. When it rains, it pours.

For now, I'm out of the event. If I can figure something out, I'll re-apply to fly here and finish it out.

My apologies to the rules committee, and to all the others here for all these distractions I caused in the past couple of days.

No worries flyon. These things happen. Remember the old saying, when you fall off a horse, get back on him. Same goes with flying. Hope you continue the event.

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    No worries flyon. These things happen. Remember the old saying, when you fall off a horse, get back on him. Same goes with flying. Hope you continue the event.
    Thanks Robert. It's now time to get back on that horse, with "new" x52 in hand...

Departing Pemberton.

Hang in there, Steve.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by flyon View Post
    The default FSX wx engine sucks too.
    "My advice to you... sign-up for paypal and start spending heavily..."

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Hang in there, Steve.
    Thanks Mike.

Direct distance: 206.8 nm
    Flight time: 00:55:43
    Baton time: 00:55:45
    Average GS: 221.6 kts

Aircraft gross weight: 6162.8 lbs
    Fuel weight: 1097.8 lbs

Landing Aircraft gross weight: 5956.7 lbs (-206.1 lbs)
    Fuel weight: 891.7 lbs (-206.1 lbs)

Empty weight=4365.0 lbs

Everything went good on this flight. Kept my speed down and enjoyed the scenery for a change (who am I kidding? I was watching the gauges too closely this time around...lol).

One problem though (like what else is new...lol): I kind of messed up.

Before this flight, I did a practice run around Pittsburgh to make sure everything Duenna/the joystick was on the up and up. I set it to 'private' n my test page. The problem is, I forgot to uncheck it when I did this flight.

Hopefully my screenies and the txt files below can help me out of my latest jam:

Attachment 85946

Everything good. I can see the promised land ( ) in the not too distant...

Attachment 85947

Safely on ground, and off the runway :ernae:.

Now the screenshot of what I seen from Duenna. Note the red arrow pointing to the unchecked box:

Attachment 85950

Now my screenie from my Duenna output folder:

Attachment 85951

If the pics don't help, the txt file can verify I finished the leg.
    My apologies once again to Mrs. Murphy and the committee. Someday (or year...lol) I'll figure this stuff out...

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post
    "My advice to you... sign-up for paypal and start spending heavily..."
    Now that's a great pic there. D-Day was the man, was he not? :icon_twi: One of my all time fave movies there. In my Top 5 of all time for sure.

At one time I hated this Saitek. Or should I say my last pc hated it...lol.
    It worked out rather nicely here tonight though. Guess it's a keeper.
    I miss the Hotas X big time though. Imo that was a great 2 piece joystick for the price. I still might go and buy one just to have it before they quit making them for good.

I hear ya on the spend-spend-spend. My youngest watches me fly on here. I even let her take the stick once in a while.
    Her last flight on my flying pc was in a payware Robinair DR400 (spend-spend-spend...lol). She did great.
    She's 9, so she still needs to learn some basics (kinda like dad, huh?...lol), but now she wants a joystick on her pc.

The point is I think it's cool as **** she wants to fly on a pc. Too cool -there's worse things out there for kids to do these days...

Thank goodness for plastic -I simply can't let wifey run amok with it alone now, can I?
    (Anyways, something tells me spend-spend-spend are words that I'll be used to for a long time on anything FS related...lol).

Hopefully, I get a day off tomorrow with nice real weather in these parts before getting pounded with work at the shop this weekend.
    I intend to do some yard work, and sneak in a flight or two while "on break"...lol

I got a lot of catching up to do on legs here -see you guys on the flight line...

Departing CYCG West Kootenay Regional Castlegar BC en route to KSFF Felts, Spokane WA.

Landed safely at Felts.

Direct distance: 98.1 nm
    Flight time: 00:30:54
    Baton time: 00:30:56
    Average GS: 189.8 kts

Takeoff Fuel weight: 1097.0 lbs

Landing Fuel weight: 977.3 lbs (-119.7 lbs)

Attachment 86001

Taking off from Castlegar, heading south.

Attachment 86003

On final into Felts.

Attachment 86004

Parking at Felts, enjoying the scenery.

Attachment 86005

Attachment 86002

Departing Spokane Felts KSFF , en route to Hells Canyon, Oxbow OR12. The banker wants to go do some river rafting now?!?

Landed safely at Oxbow OR12.
    Direct distance: 162.3 nm
    Flight time: 00:57:13
    Fuel used: 175.0 lbs

A shaky flight for me, to say the least. Flying through clouds a lot of the time.
    No speed gauge for most of this flight (which made things interesting...), but had all the other gauges working properly. Go figure.

Attachment 86139

Takeoff was good, after a fried chicken lunch (Mr. Banker bought btw. It tasted good 'cause it tasted free...lol) over at the KFC across the runway:

Attachment 86140

50 nm out. I know Hell's Canyon is out there in front of me somewhere...

Attachment 86149

With no functioning speed indicator, I had to stay below the clouds. I knew the descent into Oxbow would come swift once I cleared the mountains, and I didn't want to overspeed/overstress in the process.
    Getting close, but it's like flying in one big bowl of soup up here -nasty:

Attachment 86150

No pics of the landing, unfortunately. It was hard enough to keep this bird on the runway. Let's just say I had a lot of bounce in my step...lol

Attachment 86153

Attachment 86155

Leaving Oxbow OR12, en route to Hailey ID KSUN.

Quote Originally Posted by flyon View Post
    No speed gauge for most of this flight (which made things interesting...), but had all the other gauges working properly. Go figure.
    Your pitot tube iced over and froze up. Turn on the pitot heat to keep it unclogged and open.
    N3306TX

Quote Originally Posted by n3306tx View Post
    Your pitot tube iced over and froze up. Turn on the pitot heat to keep it unclogged and open.
    Yes it certainly did! Thanks TX!

Members who have read this thread: 0