I think I have started my Western Roundup! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I have started my Western Roundup!

I Used to Pilot for Northwestern...

Well, it guess I have discovered the benefit of flight planning the GPS, even if you don't use it.

Coming out of Lee Vining and skimming the tree tops over Tioga Pass, I set my course for WSW. Unfortunately, it should have been SW, as when I came out of the mountains I was too far North and ended up landing at Sonora Airport (O22) instead of Mariposa.

I think I will refly this leg...
    i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz (OC), 8GB DDR3 1600 memory, Windows 7. All home built.

Fast motorcycles, vintage cars, good bourbons, and alas, vintage cigars I had to give up...

Quote Originally Posted by Howellerman View Post
    Well, it guess I have discovered the benefit of flight planning the GPS, even if you don't use it.

Coming out of Lee Vining and skimming the tree tops over Tioga Pass, I set my course for WSW. Unfortunately, it should have been SW, as when I came out of the mountains I was too far North and ended up landing at Sonora Airport (O22) instead of Mariposa.
    You poor guy... great honesty... don't worry about it.

Maybe Bry (Rosier) will share some stories about how he's witnessed me do that too...

Take comfort... even happens to the "pros". Check out who was on-board. :mixedsmi:

http://tbo.com/list/military-news/ai...n-error-614036

From my visit to the office. Ms. Murphy smiled with distracted amusement:

"Tell the young man that there is not problem. He wants to post the authentication of his flight from O24 into O22. He may then take off from O22 to complete a short hop to O68. And to San Francisco thereafter. O22 will serve as an unplanned intermediate stop."

"And one more thing. Let the fellow know that once he gets over water, Honolulu is not much farther..."
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Good you got just the smile...

I hear she did something more like Lt. Cmdr. Data when I made an extra (unplanned) stop with the Duke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwxgml0Q3A

Over Water!

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post

"Tell the young man that there is not problem. He wants to post the authentication of his flight from O24 into O22. He may then take off from O22 to complete a short hop to O68. And to San Francisco thereafter. O22 will serve as an unplanned intermediate stop."

"And one more thing. Let the fellow know that once he gets over water, Honolulu is not much farther..."
    Thank you, Miss Murphy - I will do just that!

And yes, I will definitely watch the compass when out over the water...

Fast motorcycles, vintage cars, good bourbons, and alas, vintage cigars I had to give up...

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post
    Good you got just the smile...

I hear she did something more like Lt. Cmdr. Data when I made an extra (unplanned) stop with the Duke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwxgml0Q3A
    I imagine that Miss Murphy's reaction your pro move was more of a bemused chortle...

Still miss that show - the best of the bunch, IMHO.

Flightus Interruptus

Thanks to the efforts of Mister Moses and support from the Great Ozzie, Miss Murphy has given me a "buy" on my landing at the Sonora (O22) versus Mariposa (O68) airports. Now I just have to depart Sonora, land at Mariposa, and the flight is complete.

I was hoping to do that tonight, but I just spent two day installing a new range. This involved hammers, chisels, saws-alls, wiring, lots of dust, everything, and I am butt tired.

So, here is my flight data from my Wrong Way Corrigan excursion.

Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: 7WgHKUugDGrouFmkn9fhqXyN58E)
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...Fmkn9fhqXyN58E

I dunno, guys: when the rules were laid down it sounded like Miss Murphy was a pretty stern school marm.

She seems more like a person who know what needs to be done, but has a heart... (and a sense of humor). Thank you!

A Short Layover in Sonora

Well, this was interesting...

First things first:
    Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: vzlmKMnuEviN2rCxzNwZ1DICbQ)
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...2rCxzNwZ1DICbQ

Since my poor flight planning took us to the wrong airport (O22 in Sonora versus O68 in Mariposa), I offered to treat Salesboy to dinner and drinks. Did you know there are tequila bars in Sonora? Did you know that there are ... ladies of leisure at these bars? Well, Salesboy definitely cannot handle his tequila, and was no danger to the ladies, and after I thanked them for helping me pour him into a cab, we stayed the night in Sonora. After a rip-roaring morning of praying to the Porcelain God, followed by lots and lots of coffee and breakfast (followed by more prayer sessions), we got loaded up for a late evening flight south to our real destination, O68 Mariposa.

Pretty time of day for a flight, and Salesboy was quiet. All was good.

Fini - and that was a lot of fun!!!

First things first:
    Tracking-URL: (Flight-ID: gcHXBrPnMp3hqm4yfFNOsQQQ4)
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...hqm4yfFNOsQQQ4

Had kind of a heart-stopping beginning. Took off in the same aircraft as the night before, with the same light fuel load. Oooooh. Once I realized this in the air I took it easy on the fuel flow, calculating in my head and on the screen, and figured, no sweat. But, something to watch in the future: make sure you have enough fuel to make the flight (had 8% left in tanks on landing - kind of close).

I have had an absolute blast doing this! I did not crash, although I came close, and have discovered that I enjoy the "purpose" of flying: Flight planning, fuel management, etc. Looking forward to repeating some of the more colorful (ORBX) legs using the RealAir Duke and Legacy.

Thank you all! Mister Moses, Paul, the Great Ozzie, and finally, Miss Murphy.

John K Howell (aka Howellerman)

Congratulations on a job well done.
    -Mike

Congrats!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members who have read this thread: 0