N3306TX's Wild West Excursion
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N3306TX's Wild West Excursion

N3306TX's Wild West Excursion

Departing KBFI in Carenado Beech Baron 58 to KORS. Hoping the real-life thunderstorms of much needed rain happening at the moment in Texas don't interfere.
    N3306TX

Down safe at KORS.

Distance: 74.1 nm
    Flight Time: 27:15
    Fuel Used: 80 lbs (13.3 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...CymRpHWgbW3V0w

A little breezy departing KBFI, but otherwise a nice early morning flight.
    Attachment 85414
    Attachment 85413

Departing Seattle area
    Attachment 85415

On base for runway 16 at KORS
    Attachment 85416

On final for runway 16 at KORS
    Attachment 85417
    N3306TX

Departing KORS in Carenado Beech Baron 58 to KHQM.
    N3306TX

Down safe at KHQM.

Distance: 112.2 nm
    Flight Time: 00:44:35
    Fuel Used: 108 lbs (18 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...vXX9yEWg67YiPs

Departed KORS with no problem. Approaching cruse altitude, I could see there was ominous weather ahead. I entered into it just after crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca and approaching Olympus National Park. Within a few minutes, the engine started losing power. Pitot heat-check, fuel vent heat-check, stall warn heat-check, carb heat-h'mmm where is that switch? After frantically searching for a minute or so and losing power and altitude over mountains, I finally resorted to the shortcut key "H". (Thanks DarkCharizma-I read your earlier post!).

Now that the ice plug is out of the carburetor, I climbed back to original cruise altitude. But groundspeed was slow, since I was fighting strong headwinds all the way. Soon, the clouds started breaking revealing the breathtaking scenery below me. Dropped down to make the approach to Bowerman following the Hoquiam River southbound on a right base then turning west onto final with a 10kt crosswind from the left.

Attachment 85422
    Attachment 85421

Approaching ominous weather
    Attachment 85420

Mount Olympus off my right wing
    Attachment 85419

Turning right-base to final at KHQM
    Attachment 85418
    N3306TX

Onward to 4S2. Departing KHQM. Hope weather allows me to catch a glimpse of Mt. St. Helens.
    N3306TX

Down safe at 4S2.

Distance: 126.6 nm
    Flight Time: 00:43:28
    Fuel Used: 115 lbs (19.2 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...f1XL4AG1oZtfjo

Not a bad flight but just couldn't find the sweet spot for ground speed. The higher I went, the worse it got. After passing Mt. St. Helens, I started stepping down the altitude trying to find a comfortable altitude but was also aware of the terrain I was flying over in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Soon, I spotted the Columbia River and once across it, dropped down into a straight approach for landing on runway 7 at 4S2.

Attachment 85436
    Attachment 85435

Passing Mt. St. Helens. On the horizon is Mt. Ranier (left) and Mt. Adams (right
    Attachment 85434

Short final into runway 07 at 4S2. Watch the trees on approach!
    Attachment 85433
    N3306TX

Heading north toward KEAT from 4S2
    N3306TX

Down safe at KEAT.

Distance: 117.1 nm
    Flight Time: 00:39:45
    Fuel Used: 91 lbs (15.2 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=CF1n9desLwMouG2 E6TQ8oljI0s

Finally, got a little push from the wind on the backside for a change. The landscape is different on the east side of the Cascades and I was so involved looking around at it, I almost had to nosedive into KEAT. The Wenatchie Valley looks nice and green and looks like agriculture is abundant here.

Attachment 85447
    Attachment 85446

Different perspective of the volcanoes. Passing Mt. Adams with Mt. St. Helens (left) and Mt. Ranier (right) in the background.
    Attachment 85448

On left base for runway 30 at KEAT coming in over the Columbia River and the green valley.
    Attachment 85449
    N3306TX

Going to try to get one more in today. Departing KEAT to KSFF.
    N3306TX

Down safe at KSFF.

Distance: 118.0 nm
    Flight Time: 00:37:29
    Fuel Used: 83 lbs (13.8 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...jxUJTNtCMK9jvs

This was my best flight so far in the trip. Not only for sightseeing, but for speed and fuel economy. Had a nice tailwind that allowed me to cut back on the mixture and still average over 190 kts across the ground.

Attachment 85454
    Attachment 85453

Heading east toward Spokane. The large lake in the background is Banks Lake.
    Attachment 85452

Approaching KSFF after passing Spokane International (KGEG) on the left and Fairchild AFB (KSKA)
    Attachment 85451

On right downwind to KSFF
    Attachment 85450
    N3306TX

Sunrise departure from KSFF eastbound to S27. Rolling...
    N3306TX

Go gett'um buddy!

Lookin' good Mike!

salt_air

Down safe at S27.

Distance: 124.8 nm
    Flight Time: 00:44:45
    Fuel Used: 105 lbs (17.5 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...EN3mbnSDaE5uc4

Sunrise departure out of KSFF. Partly cloudy skies until around Noxon Reservoir, when it started raining. On descent, rain quit and skies opened up to beautiful weather with winds out of the south. Intercepted highway 2 around little Bitterroot Lake and followed it northeast through the valley over the Smith Lake Waterfowl Production Area. Abeam Lone Pine State Park near the intersection of Hwy 2 and Hwy 93, I made the turn towards the southeast to find the airport and make an approach to runway 13. A little breezy on landing with winds 190 at 13.

Attachment 85527
    Attachment 85528

Ready for sunrise departure out of KSFF.
    Attachment 85522

Nice light diffraction as I traverse in and out of clouds.
    Attachment 85523

Good Morning, Sunshine!
    Attachment 85524

Picking up rain around Noxon Reservoir
    Attachment 85525

Airport in sight and setting up approach for runway 13 at S27.
    Attachment 85526
    N3306TX

While laid over at Kalispell, I called in to update the boss on our progress. He said I had some urgent messages from someone named Ms. Murphy Monroe. Apparently my passenger has reported to her that I have violated something called a "soft" ceiling of 10,000 ft in a few flights...namely KORS-KHQM and KEAT-KSFF. KHQM-4S2 is also in question and will probably need re-flown as well since the violation occurred not from terrain issues but from searching for favorable winds.

I certainly remember from the briefings a hard ceiling limit of 12,000 ft on our specific course but apparently didn't remember anything about the "soft" ceiling. I suppose in my valiant effort to get as much flying in as I could while I could, I certainly didn't follow the briefing correctly regarding altitude restrictions. I tried explaining that we were flying VFR and at proper altitudes for VFR flying depending on our heading and we still didn't violate the "hard" ceiling. Ms. Murphy Monroe didn't care. H'mmm, I guess she must be the FAA...it's always the pilot's fault.

I'm thinking there may be some other ploy by my passenger to re-fly these flights. After all, these violations occurred in airspace over some unique terrain in the northwestern US. I hung up the phone and embarrassed, hung my head down in shame. After all my years of flying, how could something like this happen? I suppose it's from juggling too many things while trying to please Ms. Murphy Monroe.

Anyway, I'll be re-posting the three re-flown flights and will update my score sheet. But for now, I'm heading over to the Blue Canyon Kitchen & Tavern at the airport here for a nice dinner and drinks! I am on an expense account, right?
    N3306TX

RE-FLY of KORS-KHQM due to altitude violation of soft ceiling. Departing KORS.

EDIT: Not going to be my day it seems. Computer lockup. Aborted duenna so tracking wouldn't show flight still in progress. Then crashed two times on start due to AP being on. Restarting flight for third time. Hope it's a charm.
    N3306TX

Re-FLY of KORS-KHQM completed.

Down safe at KHQM. Score sheet updated.

Distance: 112.2 nm
    Flight Time: 00:39:53
    Fuel Used: 95 lbs (15.8 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...cBN5daWOcEchDM

Attachment 85554
    Attachment 85553
    N3306TX

RE-FLY of KHQM-4S2 started.
    N3306TX

RE-FLY of KHQM-4S2 completed.

Down safe at 4S2. Score sheet updated.

Distance: 126.3 nm
    Flight Time: 00:41:39
    Fuel Used: 103 lbs (17.2 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...hexSAgp4jzQnwU

Attachment 85561
    Attachment 85562
    N3306TX

RE_FLY of KEAT-KSFF due to altitude violation of soft ceiling. Departing KEAT.
    N3306TX

RE-FLY of KEAT-KSFF completed. This should complete the re-flys for the soft altitude violation.

Down safe at KSFF. Score sheet updated.

Distance: 117.8 nm
    Flight Time: 00:36:39
    Fuel Used: 82 lbs (13.7 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...SIwy9lFSJwcFc8

Attachment 85564
    Attachment 85565
    N3306TX

Back on track again (hopefully). Need to get to Bozeman as a high wind warning is predicted for tomorrow. Departing S27 to KBZN.

EDIT: NOT back on track. I think me and my computer have had it for the day. About 1/2 way through the flight I hit some key combination and FSX "disappeared". Gone and nowhere to be found. Not in the task list, but in the process list. But, I think it was still flying as duenna seemed to be tracking. After 10-15 minutes of trying to figure out what the "h" went wrong, I finally gave up and rebooted the pc since I definitely had no control (or patience) left.

I think Ms. Murphy Monroe is getting me back. Murphy is definitely playing havoc with my computer and has been for a while now. I swear my next pc will probably be a MAC as I'm fed up with Windows and all its quirks, security issues, lockups, crashes and constant updates that continually degrade performance over time.

I'll be re-starting from S27 whenever I can get back around to flying.
    N3306TX

Departing S27 for KBZN.

After some problems a day or so ago, I thought it best to have the local FBO Red Eagle Aviation take a look at the plane. Late yesterday, the mechanic called and said he couldn't find anything wrong, but dumped the fuel and put in a fresh load. Since KBZN was under high wind warnings it was best that my passenger and I stay at the Aero Inn for the night and plan a sunrise departure the next day if weather permitted. A check of the weather shows winds calm at KBZN, but here it's hazy with a breeze out of the northwest. That shouldn't delay our departure.

Ready to roll toward KBZN at S27.

Attachment 85708
    N3306TX

Down safe at KBZN.

Distance: 192.6 nm
    Flight Time: 01:08:51
    Fuel Used: 159 lbs (26.5 gal)
    Tracking: http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...XNw1Pkf5E72tcg

A little hazy on take-off out of S27 but once above the haze, it was a beautiful morning for flying. No advantage from the winds however, as most of the trip had wind right on the nose. This banker I have as a passenger is a strange dude. He's been fairly quiet for most of the trip until about halfway, I hear him open his briefcase and then this insane laughing coming from the back of the plane. You wouldn't believe what he was doing!

Attachment 85721
    Attachment 85723

Climbing out of the haze after departing S27
    Attachment 85722

Above the haze and watching the sun come up.
    Attachment 85718

It was a beautiful morning for flying.
    Attachment 85719

This banker dude must be bored.
    Attachment 85720
    N3306TX

ROTFLMAO
    -Mike

Departing KBZN to KJAC
    N3306TX