spokes2112 Gold Class, High Route - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spokes2112 Gold Class, High Route

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    When my Dad brought home his new Buick in 1952, it had wire bumper "feelers" that would warn as you approached the curb. Maybe Cessna should fit its twins with such "feelers" for poor visibility landings?
    LOL! - Got the "static wicks" installed just to let me know when a wing is going to touch on landing.. They leave sparks if I'm not level LOL!

Onward with the new wicks to Grand Canyon (KGCN)
    Roman

No sparks from the wicks LOL - Made it to Grand Canyon. Finally, numbers look half decent..

Flight Time - 1:10:06
    Fuel Used - 368.0 lbs

Tracking - http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...cmYULFnEtS5s1o

Attachment 87435
    Attachment 87436

A hazy morning leaving Telluride -
    Attachment 87437

"Magnificent Desolation" -
    Attachment 87438
    Attachment 87440
    Attachment 87439
    Attachment 87441

Today in 1927 history was made -
    Attachment 87442
    Roman

Off to VEGAS, BABY! (KLAS), from Grand Canyon (KGCN)
    Roman

Whew!! Made it to Las Vegas (KLAS) ! Winds were NOT what was forecasted.. Had to lean out just to make it, being a race I didn't plan for a large contingency whatsoever, maybe 1 go around is it... Loaded up with 208 lbs, ended up with 5 lbs left!

Flight Time - 0:45:06
    Fuel Used - 203.0 lbs

Tracking - http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...BQjnQ4HuVSapVA

Attachment 87445
    Attachment 87446
    Roman

Cutting it short, time to finish up Off to Furnace Creek (L06) from Las vegas (KLAS)
    Roman

At Furnace Creek (L06) , going to have a quick turn around - refuel, use the facilities, get a $200.00 breakfast and some more coffee.

Flight Time - 0:28:45
    Fuel Used - 146.0 lbs

Tracking - http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...QkQgT83E96m9ZY

Attachment 87716
    Attachment 87717
    Roman

On the way to Reno (4SD, KRTS) from Furnace Creek (L06) to most likely lose all the cash made in Vegas!
    Roman

At Reno (4SD, KRTS) safely. Going to pop a few quarters into the FBO's slot machines then onward and upward.

Flight Time - 1:13:14
    Fuel Used - 417.0 lbs

Tracking - http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...0qfekKgRrNdSok
    Roman

Off to Tahoe (KTVL) from Reno. (4SD, KRTS) It looks like I'm going to be "Tail-end Charlie" in this class. Something seriously wrong with this bird.. Did not use "auto-mix" and did leaning for the whole race (exhaust valves shot!) and still "Flyon" in the C414A got better speed and fuel use (Bigger, Heavier, slightly higher rated engines 310 vs 285, same base model TSIO-520s -xx) and I have 2 legs to go! Oh well, I like this bird and just picked it right from the start without studying others, didn't look back after picking it. Did a boatload of testing and thought it would be somewhat competitive, definitely not a winner, boy was I wrong!! Oh well, it's been a fun route.

Attached is my fuel testing I did the 2 weeks before the start.

Attachment 87724
    Roman

Made it safely to Tahoe (KTVL) barely,,, stepped aside for one moment when I got back was just a few hundred feet above the lake heading DOWN! A quick pull back saved the day.

Here's a cool little story I enjoyed on this flight - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22671667

light Time - 00:15:28
    Fuel Used - 82.0 lbs

Tracking - http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...bYJjF2oxKD3kiY

Attachment 87725
    Attachment 87726
    Roman

Finished watching most likely the best Indy 500 EVER!! So,, I guess it's time to wrap it up.. Headin for San Carlos (KSQL) from Tahoe (KTVL).
    Roman

Well, that ends it... Arrived safely at San Carlos (KSQL) Cocktails on me. :ernae:

Thanks everyone for putting on this event, it was a fun route, plenty of eye candy throughout!

Flight Time - 00:42:00
    Fuel Used - 253.0 lbs

Tracking - http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...acH4SR13zoQsxE

Attachment 87753
    Attachment 87754

Attachment 87755

Attachment 87757
    Roman

Congratulations, Roman. Really enjoyed reading your tidbits along the way.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    and still "Flyon" in the C414A got better speed and fuel use
    As a rookie here, that's nice to get singled out like that ...no condescention meant there whatsoever, right?

Wow...you old timers here make great first impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by flyon View Post
    As a rookie here, that's nice to get singled out like that ...no condescention meant there whatsoever, right?
    I don't get why your shorts are in a twist.

Roman is merely comparing similar planes... but with enough differences that there should be a difference in speed and fuel. I (or anyone else) could have flown the 414 and the comment still stands... he's not singling you out "per se".

Roman saying the 414 should have more drag, more weight... very close in thrust and indicated he was trying to lean manually for best economy (I gather)...

If same Flight Sims (I didn't bother to check) -- if anything you should be taking it as a compliment that you out-flew him.

Wow...you old timers here make great first impressions...
    Not very impressive this sarcasm... better if this had been handled in a PM.

flyon -

Roger that, no condescension meant at all. Just was comparing similar aircraft, the only 2 with similar characteristics (Twin, TSIO-520s etc..) . Back in Aspen I already noted what kind of bird this was. Guess I should of did more homework at the beginning and tried different aircraft before going with the 340 straight off. Could've went for the Lancair but there were 5 pilots already in that fine plane. Only wish Mother Nature was a little bit more unforgiving during the times I was flying. Kinda wishing for more IFR conditions, only had 2, the 1st leg and Telluride. It was a great route though, plenty of nice scenery to look out the window at. Thanks to all that set this up!

Anyhow, nice flying & congrats on your first race! :salute:

Roman
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post
    I don't get why your shorts are in a twist.

if anything you should be taking it as a compliment that you out-flew him.

Not very impressive this sarcasm... better if this had been handled in a PM.
    First and foremost Rob, feel free to move this post (or delete it if you wish) as you see fit -this certainly isn't the place to have this discussion...

Yes, my shorts are kind of in a bunch, but not for my most recent post here -and btw, I didn't out-fly anyone here imo sir.
    I never dreamed of out-flying anyone -I knew that going in. Spokes simply caught a bad break in my view.

In the meantime (as per your suggestion for pm's), I have sent Roman an apology for my post here in his thread last night.
    I misunderstood his point, and I as a rookie here now stand ashamedly corrected.

I am also going to send you a pm soon. It will explain why my undies are "in a twist", as you put it...
    It will have something to do with this post.

In the meantime (as per your suggestion for pm's), I have sent Roman an apology for my post here in his thread last night.
    Good man. That takes moxie.

I sincerely doubt anyone here hasn't posted something where they misunderstood or would have taken it back.

I think we all here would say "it's a good thing" to see a good resolution.

PM to me not necessary (I'm just a peon here).

Glad you are here and participating.

-Rob O.

Edit: There are mis-placed objects that one runs across from time to time in FSX (none on this Roundup that I am aware that stand out... maybe the fence too "high" @ Oxbow). E.g. Tower on the runway at a UK airport.... Glideslope shack on a taxiway @ Sitka. Sometimes I'll use an airport editor to correct (with google maps). Sometimes I just leave it... like a scratch on a nice piece of furniture (gives "character" : ).