What can you really see? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can you really see?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    I hope Cliff or another F-105 pilot reads this thread and clears things up. I cannot be sure what Cliff said, so hopefully he's still around here. Whatever his answer is, it's good enough for me.

It might just be easier for you to keep the belief that you can't see any part of the wings from the cockpit, and that the helmet is so bulky that a pilot just wouldn't bother turning his head either way, because it would be too uncomfortable.

I don't actually want to bother with the real discussion topic because it doesn't interest me all that much at the moment. What I really want to know is how/ where did you get to sit in an F-105? I do well if the museums I've been to let you sit in a Cessna.

Of course, with FSX the interior and exterior models are separate.

You could edit the model.cfg so that the interior references the exterior model, load the plane into FSX, move your eyepoint so it is where the pilot's head is and then have a look around yourself. If you can see the wings in this position then you can ask the question as to why the developer left out the wings in the interior model.

Personally, when developing a plane I work with the exterior model (which includes the full cockpit rather than a cutdown version of one) and then when that is done I convert a copy to the interior model, deleting any parts/polygons not visible in the pilots position.

The planes I fly, various 747 models, I really can't see the wings! Only if I move my head all the way against the side glass can I see the winglet on a 747-400. The Dash eight 47 one in a similar position can barely see the tip. The Dreamlifter.... no.

Interesting to see by moving one's head position about inside and even outside the cockpit how much of the exterior is actually visible (modeled) from the VC. Pollys, it's about pollys and frame rates.

T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    The planes I fly, various 747 models, I really can't see the wings! Only if I move my head all the way against the side glass can I see the winglet on a 747-400. The Dash eight 47 one in a similar position can barely see the tip. The Dreamlifter.... no.

T
    Same with the plane I fly. I can see the winglet and the last 3 feet of the wing if I put my face up to the side window. Just sitting in the seat and rotating my head, I can't see any of it. I'm pretty sure you understand where I coming from here, Tom. Cheers.

EDIT: Just in case there's someone who might wonder why you would put your face up to the side window. When taxxing, I do regularly have to put my face up to the side window to make sure the wing tip clears an obstacle. The ramp areas in the airline world are jam packed full of ground equipemt, and even though we have marshallers to guide us into the gate, it is akin to threading the needle, and there are sketchy moments when a marshaller is waving us in and it is prudent to take a look for yourself. I've stopped many times when it was clear the marshaller was making a misjudgement.

In the Whale that wingtip must be about 150 ft away, the ability to accurately judge the distance to an object accurately is restricted. A few times errors have been by folks made and wing walkers do not seem to be as reliable as they might. We had one of our guys, a check airman with a new IOE student clip the tail of an RJ which wasn't all the way into the gate, on the students side.....

Cheers: T

Charter Member 2015
    If Airbus can stick a little camera in the tailfin of their A380,surely sticking cameras in the winglets of any airliner couldn't be that difficult?
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    We had one of our guys, a check airman with a new IOE student clip the tail of an RJ which wasn't all the way into the gate, on the students side.....

Cheers: T
    Look closely, and you can see a B-767 winglet stuck in the hacked up tail of an RJ. I know both of the guys this happened to, and I flew with the FO not long after the incident. He regaled me with the story of what it's like to get smacked in the butt by a heavy, and the cascading list of failures that showed up on the CAS. I've flown this plane many times since it got repaired, and she fly's pretty much the same as before the incident. I was kind of expecting her to be a bit of a sidewinder, but the plane fly's as good as any other.

I borrowed the first pic from airliners.net, and the second two I got from the FO this happened to.

Now that's professional! The paint matches.....

T

LOL! Looks like they are both Delta? A possible dispute between pilots at the company's expense?
    -JB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSUL46Jdudw

Grounds ops were what made me the most nervous.Saw many a accident.I know in old 90s money just about any ding,scape or nudge cost a minimum of a million bucks.I can only imagine the cost+downtime today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMyR8U7xJO0 Ive seen this type incursion many,many times. Checklist and rapping with the girls.

Members who have read this thread: 1