Catapult Hook-Up Question

Thread: Catapult Hook-Up Question

Catapult Hook-Up Question

For cat launches in FSX I was wondering why some aircraft snap into launch position when you hit Shift+I, but the cat doesn't arm and the hold-back doesn't engage. I've fixed it a couple times by swapping out the [launch_assistance] entries in the aircraft.cfg file but I was wondering if there's a trick or some calculation that gets the right settings so the plane locks into the cat every time.

Imho 2 things are inportant for your aircraft:
    1) [launch_assistance] offsets
    2) correct positioning of the aircraft on the cat against the shoe

This is a generic calculation of the offsets I use for jets with nose gear attachpoint:

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot= X1, Y1, Z1
    launch_bar_lug = X2, Y2, Z2

X1 = Nosegear lateral pos
    Y1 = zero
    Z1 = Nosegear vertical pos + 1.4

X2 = Nosegear lateral pos +1.5
    Y2 = zero
    Z2 = Nosegear vertical pos + 0.4

Hope this helps, Henk.

Henk,

Might you have the text for adding the catapult ability to a tail dragger? The A-1 Skyraider or any of the WWII aircraft for instance?

Thanks!
    Jeff
    I pass gas!

I have no experience with taildraggers but I guess you could try to set up an attachpoint slightly in front of the main gear. Maybe this is worth a try:

First, look for one of the main gear offsets in [contact_points], which could be: point.1= 1, 2.0, -6.0, -7.0,.....

Using the same logic as I explained yesterday, you would set up the [launch_assistance] like this:

launch_bar_pivot= 2.0, 0.0, -5.6
    launch_bar_lug = 3.5, 0.0, -6.6

In FSX, you would have to position the aircraft with the main gear lined up just behind the cat shoe.

Henk, thanks for your response. Actually it was the occasional tail-dragger that was giving me problems. I'm going to try your numbers based on the location of the main gear (vice nose gear) and see how that works.

Henk's formula works great. So does Aircraft Container Manager if you have an FS9 version of the aircraft (and if it's a portover) -- ModelConverterX probably does the same for FSX version? One of the first things I copy to the aircraft.cfg file is his formula to get things set up.
    :ernae:

I wish ModelConverterX had the same features as Aircraft Container Manager does for FS9 and CFS2, unfortunately it doesn't. Or... I wish the clever gentleman who came up with ACM originally would have upgraded it to work with FSX-native aircraft models. Would make it a lot easier to work with contact points, launch assist, tailhook, lights, and other cfg file entries.