RFN F-8E Crusader - WIP - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RFN F-8E Crusader - WIP

That looks just like one of the F-8 aircraft that was on my WestPac cruise 1970 on board the Hancock!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

There is nothing yet, is there? I checked the site....

Cees

Blog Entries
    Oh, heck yes!!!

Talk about a project long in the making. But boy, will this be worth it.

Sylvain, I see the F-8E modelled here. I think it's safe to assume (je peunse!) that you'll do an F-8E (FN) given the contributors and the focus of RFN, yes?

Any other models you have in mind?

Again, thanks so much for this fantastic update.

dl

ps - If you need any reference material, I kept everything most of my notes and materials that I used to help with the Alphasim project - just say the word, and I'll help in any way I can.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 88B3AAAD-C2F2-4DB8-92DD-B2991D73A4C4.gif  

Hi,
    With such project since the release is not done everything can change... (lol)
    But yes the versions we're working on are focused on the French Crusader, F-8E(FN), which is in between F-8E and F-8J (to my own opinion closest to J one).
    With the team we're finalizing a French F-8E(FN) and a US F-8J with a unique virtual cockpit for both, which will be a mix of different French layouts (configurations before the last F-8P upgrade).
    The reason is because we would like to release quickly a first package, even if it isn't fully accurate, and to model different VC for US F-8E and F-8J in a 2nd step, taking into account also simers' feedback.

Regarding previous versions (A, B, D), it is fully open as I don't know how much these versions are different from the US F-8E from performances and cockpit layout point of view...
    Regards,
    Sylvain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparouty View Post
    Hi,
    With such project since the release is not done everything can change... (lol)
    But yes the versions we're working on are focused on the French Crusader, F-8E(FN), which is in between F-8E and F-8J (to my own opinion closest to J one).
    With the team we're finalizing a French F-8E(FN) and a US F-8J with a unique virtual cockpit for both, which will be a mix of different French layouts (configurations before the last F-8P upgrade).
    The reason is because we would like to release quickly a first package, even if it isn't fully accurate, and to model different VC for US F-8E and F-8J in a 2nd step, taking into account also simers' feedback.

Regarding previous versions (A, B, D), it is fully open as I don't know how much these versions are different from the US F-8E from performances and cockpit layout point of view...
    Regards,
    Sylvain
    Thanks Sylvain,

That's a great and understandable approach. The reality, is even apart from the (FN) cockpit, the American cockpits are noticeably different, particularly around the Mk 11 Mod 7 gunsight versus the AN/APQ-94 scope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f8 cockpits.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	73830

Performance-wise, they were a bit different, the D being the fastest of the fighter versions due to the cleaner, hump-less (over the wing) design than the E's AGM-12 Bullpup electronics, and the absence of the IRST ball. Of the fighters, arguably the prettiest of the family, but not quite as well known as the E and E-FN. At least the J doesn't have the ugly IRST ball ... lol, plus it's BLC allowed noticeably lower landing speeds than all the predecessor models.

The RF-8G model would be lovely. Dean's was ok in most respects, but the way the hump was modelled was a real disappointment. He had constraints from the old fighter AS model, so it was understandable to a point. So even if it shared a VC with the E or J, that model would create a huge buzz.

Anyway - it's great to see some Cru models of whatever variety emerge. Hoping these also work in P3DV4.5 - any comment on that issue?

Merci bien, mon amis!

dl
    Last edited by delta_lima; February 3rd, 2020 at 14:49.

Hi DL,
    Thanks for sharing!
    You'll find a screenshot of the current VC which is a mix of standard F-8 instruments, French specific one (like armement panel) and late layout choice (like late VHF com panel), but I hope that, if it's not really accurate, it will do the job with a nice "Crusader's feeling"! I have some NATOPS manuals but it's not easy to check deferencies between all the version's layout, so if you have som material that explain that, I'm really interested!

The BLC feature is important because it higly impacts flight performance modelization and also C++ dll coding: it's the reason why we choose firstly the "J" version instead the "E" one.
    Regarding RF-8G, yes it's open, and I can discuss with Dean how we can adress external mdl and VC one (I don't know which one would be the more complex to modify for a RF-8G version).
    Last, the model is fully compatible with FSX and P3D v4.5 (mdl and dll), but I didn't work on PBR so textures are, so far, limited to ambiant, specular and bump maps.
    Regards,
    S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crusader_RFN_VC_Feb2020.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Looks fabulous, Sylvain!

Yes, I recognize a few "petit chose francais" in there .... Well, even if that's where you left it, it's already amazing.

I believe I have some diagrams for the various panels. If you are starting with a J VC, let me focus on that and send you what I can on that one.

To be clear, and in all fairness. Dean did a great job on most of the model. I believe in his desire to be responsive to some very strong input he got from one member to address a change from the fighter model, but constrained with what couldn't be easily remodelled, the attempt to add in the hump aft of the cockpit was an unfortunate one. That RF- hump extended up and onto the movable wing section, but he tried to model the whole hump with both slopes fully forward of the wing. The result was a way too pronounced camel hump that would, in my view, have best been left untouched, as that slight inaccuracy would have been far more unobtrusive than what became the final product. But he did a decent job on the ventral parts, squaring off the fuselage where it needed, etc. To a discerning eye, the RF is it's own distinct "beast", and the differences are quite significant. Again, I know he put in a lot of time, and it was a labour of love, and some I appreciate that.

I'll post more when I go through my materials at home tonight.

Best,

dl

Looking foward to flying it thanks Sylvain.

YYYYEEESSSS!!!
    (still) can't wait for this beauty...
    Cheers,

Stéph.

That's a beautiful model. Thanks for the previews and update.

That's a stunning VC!

Cees

Wow, was thinking about this project a few days ago wondering whatever became of it - very happy to see its still ongoing
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Beautiful work Silvain!! That looks awesome!! It already feels like a lifetime ago I was working in the RF-8G! I still have hopes of finishing the real project properly, but it looks like RFN really do have the job done perfectly already. Keep up the excellent work!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Eager to get my mits on this beauty!!

Priller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Beautiful work Silvain!! That looks awesome!! It already feels like a lifetime ago I was working in the RF-8G! I still have hopes of finishing the real project properly, but it looks like RFN really do have the job done perfectly already. Keep up the excellent work!

Don't worry, Dean - I still put flying time on your your RF model on a regular basis ...

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Un modèle extraordinaire....

C´est un modèle de de très haute qualité - formidable!

Je me réjouis par avance à l'idée de mon premier vol dans la nouvelle Crusader...

Merci beaucoup en avance et meilleures salutations à tous les créateurs..

RS

Blog Entries
    Hi Sylvain and team.

I've pm'ed you - I've got some good quality J model cockpit pics to send you, as promised.

I hope these help.

Apologies to those this was an actual update ...

Best regards,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Apologies to those this was an actual update ...
    Daily builds.

Vidéo

Hi,
    Here is a quick footage done by Michel (who did trap on Clemenceau and Foch in a former life).
    http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....--P3D_TEST.mkv

APC system helps a lot to maintain the right trafectory, but it is not so easy when it's me who fly! (lol)
    Look at the working mirrors !
    Regards,
    Sylvain

Quote Originally Posted by sparouty View Post
    Hi,
    Here is a quick footage done by Michel (who did trap on Clemenceau and Foch in a former life).
    http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....--P3D_TEST.mkv

APC system helps a lot to maintain the right trafectory, but it is not so easy when it's me who fly! (lol)
    Look at the working mirrors !
    Regards,
    Sylvain
    Hello Sylvain,
    many thanks for this video!!!
    Excellent trap by an ex-Cruzeman...
    Cheers,

Stéph.