Re-install or not?

Thread: Re-install or not?

Re-install or not?

I bought FSX preinstalled on a new customised PC. Previously, I'd built my own FS9 PCs.

Unfortunately, the builder (who should have known better) installed FSX in Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
    Even when I run everything as administrator and have UAC disabled I get the feeling that the program doesn't run as well as it should.

For example, the graphics are disappointing, even with Kosta's tweaks. This is most noticeable with REX and other weather programs but addon planes and sceneries show lots of jaggies. I also have difficulties running some addons via Simconnect from a client PC. By and large I get good frame rates. I get far better graphics in FS9 using a 4 year old Q9650 homebuilt PC with a less powerful graphics card - REX is beautiful, runway textures very true to life, and hardly any jaggies!

I've been told that FSX does not run well when installed in Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Can anyone confirm this? Should I go to all the trouble of uninstalling and re-installing?

Thanks!

John
    i-7 IvyBridge @3.5GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 670 4MB, NEC 1900 x 1200, Windows 7 x64.

I have my FSX installed in that same directory, and haven't had problems like yours (although I am currently having unrelated difficulties with FSX scenery

Install in the Program files would not be related with performance, just maybe your ability to handle files or install/uninstall addons. Having UAC off will probably resolve such issues.

Since you mention jaggies, it seems that you may not have configured you Antializing settings properly. Kostas tweaks mentions settings in the Nvidia inspector to take care of this.

If you wish you may also try Nick's guide here:
    http://www.simforums.com/forums/sett...opic29041.html

Your computer definitely seems to be capable of producing top quality graphics in FSX.

I assume that 1GB of RAM in your signature is a typing error?

Installing and configuring Nvidia Inspector is highly desirable.
    Have you ticked the anisotropic filtering and antialiasing boxes in your
    FSX Display settings?

Comparing FSX to Fs9 is like comparing Crysis to Pakman.

Thanks very much to all.

I ran Nvidia Inspector. All is changed. The graphics are sensational.
    Anti-aliasing in the program is unchecked. Trilinear filter enabled.

You guys saved me a bunch of trouble.
    Many thanks again.

John
    PS Re.RAM. Maybe a typo but more likely just plain careless. 8GB on board.