Is Anyone Actually Flying?

Thread: Is Anyone Actually Flying?

Is Anyone Actually Flying?

Just curious. There's a lot of posts about new add ons which I always think is great, but not hardly anything anymore about anyone actually flying somewhere.

I still fly multiplayer almost every night with the guys on the SOH MP server. And I've got an around the world flight in the JBK Boeing 307 Stratoliner that I'm working on by myself. It started in Memphis TN and I just landed in Bagdad, Iraq a few minutes ago. Trying to decide whether to go to Tehran or Kuwait next. Here's a pic from a couple of days ago.

Attachment 84114

So where are you going?
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Hey Willy, I do a lot of local flying and "spot flying". Rarely do any cross-country stuff. Tried the SOH online flying a few times but never could hook up with anyone. Haven't tried that in couple of years.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Well, yes. Err, sort of.

I haven't done any multiplayer flying for a long time. Now that I have FSX, I still flying a lot to get familiar with all the changes (as compared to FS9) and the new addons. There's a lot of catching up to do. Anyways, like Duckie, I fly mostly local around Washington State, testing my navigation and flying skills (or lack thereof).
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Hi all, I do a lot of short hops as I don't have a lot of time at the moment. Also no new add-ons for me to mess about with as I also don't have a lot of spending money - but I do fly most add-ons I bought.

That doesn't stop me from looking for the next gem.

I usually find it in freeware.

We are lucky to have so many freeware offerings in this hobby!

My latest freeware addons - Rick Piper's Jet Provost which I dug up again, Keith Paine's Provost which inspired me to resurrect the Jet Provost, Milton's Grizzly and his new Hudson!

Rick Piper's Chipmunk and Tim Conrad's Bronco are my favorites for sightseeing.

I fly these almost every day - sometimes just for 5 minutes.

My daily dose of dreaming ...

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Just curious. There's a lot of posts about new add ons which I always think is great, but not hardly anything anymore about anyone actually flying somewhere.

I still fly multiplayer almost every night with the guys on the SOH MP server. And I've got an around the world flight in the JBK Boeing 307 Stratoliner that I'm working on by myself. It started in Memphis TN and I just landed in Bagdad, Iraq a few minutes ago. Trying to decide whether to go to Tehran or Kuwait next. Here's a pic from a couple of days ago.

Attachment 84114

So where are you going?

Willy,
    I was shooting traps on the Big E off San Diego yesterday in a Hornet yesterday!

Dave

maybe we should organise a fly-in amongst ourselves, set a day and a place, then can meet up as and when with one-another and fly on out for a burger somewhere else...

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic

Attachment 84114

So where are you going?

What you mean you can fly the things, you've all been very quiet on that. I thought it was a big painting by numbers game.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Hey Willy, I do a lot of local flying and "spot flying". Rarely do any cross-country stuff. Tried the SOH online flying a few times but never could hook up with anyone. Haven't tried that in couple of years.

Steve
    We meet up around 9pm US Central almost every night and anyone is welcome to fly along. Right now, we stopped in Spokane WA last night and will be back and forth between Canada and Washington state for a couple nights before heading on north towards Alaska. As far as aircraft, we've been cruising along at about 175GS, We try to keep our flights down to about an hour at that speed. Like I said, anyone is welcome.

Normally I don't fly that much. I do some testing and I take aircraft up to check the repaints I'm working on. However I have installed a lot of freeware stuff for Hawaii in FSX and did quite some exploring. With the type of aircraft I fly you will need a lot of time to hop between the islands....

I need to figger out how to fly online on the SOH multi-player server again. I had a lot of fun on the old Netwings server when it was still there.....

Cheers,
    Huub

Still flying, mostly in FS9. In the Great Southern Land, mostly along the eastern coast. VOZ Scenery is the best, and I usually stick with Australian registration numbers. But lately, I have been spotted in a Russian Su-27. In FSX, I just pick and choose.... Love romping around in Flying Stations' superb Westland Wyvern. Somewhat homely looking, but a great plane, none the less........ BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Yep, I'm still flying in the cyber skies of FS 9 too. I had to start a new FS 9 installation a few months ago and I'm slowly getting it set up for the Silver Wings and Cold War period of aviation history. I've been working on England for a few weeks and have taken several tours of the recently produced as well as some older RAF airfields.

I sure am appreciative of all the fine planes, helos and airfields that have been produced by our fraternity (many here at the Outhouse) for the MS series of flight sims over the years. My enjoyment of the flight sims really depends on the work of others so once again... Thanks!

I've posted some of these shots in other threads, but they show what my flights have been recently.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Since my flight PC died, I haven't flown a real flight in over a year. I have FS9 installed on this machine, but not being a game machine, it doesn't run well. I keep it installed for reference, and to view new releases. I'm hoping to have a new computer this fall, and I'll be putting FS9 back in, along with a planned install of P3D.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I try to get at least one hour of flight per day.Often turns out to be more.
    "Nothing lower than a grounded pilot":costum:

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I try for about an hour every day as well, sometimes a little longer. There are times I'm limited to getting something off the ground to see how it's working, after installation or tweaking, or to test a new texture. But now and then, I can complete an entire flight, and in something to make it exciting as well . . . Attachment 84174

With my work schedule, I rarely get to fly anymore, but I keep up with the downloads. When I get a chance, I'll go for short, local sightseeing hops, usually around San Diego, Ca. especially to try out a new aircraft or repaint. Never tried online MP flying.

Don
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Keep saying I need to finish rebuilding FS 2004. My flight PC's operating system croaked and I upgraded to Windows 7. Still tracking down add-ons. Been distracted by other games.

Multi-player can be fun. When Transload was active, we used to get together every Saturday night for about a two hour flight. We'd have a flightplan set up prior to takeoff for everyone to download. Then everyone would connect to the flight server and Teamspeak, take off, and set the autopilot. Then we'd all sit back and just shoot the breeze. About twenty minutes after we needed to start descending, someone would say "Um... We need to start heading down!" Then it became a contest to see who could put the most grease on their landings. Once everyone was parked, we'd get some screenshots, then get set to do it again the nest week.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

All I do is land

I jut setup my FS9 Sim so that I have a scenario to land in a difficult airport under impossible weather conditions. For example, I am in a BA Boeing 747-200 landing at Toncontin under heavy summer rain. I start 20 miles away at 10,000 ft. If I can walk away from it, i pat myself in the back. Its actually a lot of fun.
    Sid

I do more panel upgrading (bitmaps and such) repainting and scenery work it seems than I do flying anymore. I used to spend about 3 to 4 hours a day flying back during the time that Lago was up and in it's heyday. After they sank out of sight, I continued to fly on Multiplayer with Netwings and even took over the hoplists for about a year. . .changing them out every month so that there was always something new to fly. Since then though, the newness has worn off I guess. Flying has become pretty boring. I try to talk myself into getting on and flying a local area flight or overseas, but I usually end up doing something else instead.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I just re-installed my Captain Sim 707 back in FS9. I also installed an Inertial Navigation System into the panel so I have been playing with that. Did a fairly successful trip from O'Hare To Denver so I may do another training flight before trying LA to Honolulu or NYC to London.

9 pm Central?

We meet up around 9pm US Central almost every night and anyone is welcome to fly along. Right now, we stopped in Spokane WA last night and will be back and forth between Canada and Washington state for a couple nights before heading on north towards Alaska. As far as aircraft, we've been cruising along at about 175GS, We try to keep our flights down to about an hour at that speed. Like I said, anyone is welcome.
    Willy, I am still doing my flight around the outside states of the Lower 48 in the B-307, in small chunks as I don't get too much time. Made it across the upper states from Boeing Field, Seattle, up and all the way over to Portland, ME. Now down in lower VA on my way to SC. I keep getting sidetracked to fields that interest me, too.

I've wanted to try multiplayer for a long time, so will you guys put up with a rookie one evening? If there's some prep I should read/do first, just point me at it. Thanks!

Attachment 84508

Heck, we were all rookies at one point or another! The people who show up on the server that we have problems with are the ones who show up obviously misbehaving just because they can. Just hit enter to bring up the chatbox and we'll go from there!

I made it to Agra, India today in the Stratoliner with an eye to checking out the Taj Mahal. Landed in a 1/2 mile visiblility fog and let's just say that I'm going to need a new tail wheel before continuing on to Calcutta. At least it didn't explode or anything ugly like that. Hopefully someone will have a B-17 parked around there that I can steal... er.. obtain the parts off of.

Heck, we were all rookies at one point or another! The people who show up on the server that we have problems with are the ones who show up obviously misbehaving just because they can. Just hit enter to bring up the chatbox and we'll go from there!

I made it to Agra, India today in the Stratoliner with an eye to checking out the Taj Mahal. Landed in a 1/2 mile visiblility fog and let's just say that I'm going to need a new tail wheel before continuing on to Calcutta. At least it didn't explode or anything ugly like that. Hopefully someone will have a B-17 parked around there that I can steal... er.. obtain the parts off of.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

As for the spare wheel, look to the wisdom of Kelly's Heroes when they faced the German tanker:
    "Make him a deal."
    "What kind of a deal?"
    "A deal-deal. Business is business. Maybe the guy's a Republican."