En Saga

Thread: En Saga

Charter Member 2016

En Saga

We need more good music like this in the world today. This is, I think, my favorite piece of music of all time - stirs my blood, gets me going, makes me excited about life. Somehow, too, this music got associated with dinosaurs, deep time, and the wonders of the ancient world. I am (or will be) a geologist very soon - in fact as I post this, I've just returned from two days in the mountains of southern Utah with my sedimentary geology class. I loved every minute of it! - and something about this music...
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ww1jFZLZNEA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

It is a little long, but, believe me, it is worth it!

I am really thankful on this Easter Sunday that I have a Savior that cares enough to have lived for me - and to have broken the bands of death and been resurrected that we may follow and join him in heaven, resurrected in glory, perfected in his wonderous atonement.
    And I am so very thankful that the Lord has given us such a wonderful world, with caves and mountains and canyons, seas, plains, rivers, reefs, and this beautiful ocean of air in which to fly, these beautiful rocks to study, this amazing thing called Science with which we can learn so much about his creation! And I am so very, very thankful that he allows his children here on earth to create, to learn, and to grow. I don't know where I'd be without the artwork and the music of the great composers like Sibeleus, who wrote En Saga - and more famous pieces like Finlandia, which you may already know him for.
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Charter Member 2016
    a note regarding the youtube video - I prefer the Herbert von Karajan recording, but I cou'dn't find it easily on youtube - this recording posted is a little older, but still good.
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    I've been a Sibelius fan since junior high, but when it comes to Mama Nature, I lean towards Vivaldi, Grofe, and Copeland. I've spent most of my life as an oboist, except for three years in Vietnam, where I switched to a chromatic harmonica. Like you, I am a naturalist, geologist, cave surveyor, white-water river guide, astronomer, and life-long pilot. It truly has been an interesting journey...... and classical music has played a major role.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Sibelius' music captures the essence of Suomi/Finland. The beautiful music truly captures the feeling you get from traveling within this beautiful country.
    Matt