Here by popular demand is a short Tutorial on how to tune the Engine Output of a CFS Aircraft.

The Straight Line Performance of an Aeroplane is very dependent on the amount of Thrust (and therefore Engine Power) that is available at each altitude. Fortunately, this is not terribly difficult to do for Combat Flight Simulator using a simple AIR file editor. The only other necessary tools would be a means of measuring the effects of our changes to the AIR file variables.
The best set of measuring tools that I have seen are the gauges included in Jerry Beckwith's Test Panel which can be found here:

http://mudpond.org/gauge_index.html

For those who might be wondering, I will not make any claims that this method is a perfect solution. There are limitations to what CFS can represent. I also do not know enough to be able to generate my own AIR file Propeller (511 & 512) Records, so they will be "borrowed" from other stock aircraft.

One of the greatest limitations of CFS is that it cannot represent multi-speed superchargers. Aircraft can only have a single speed supercharger which means that we will be trying to make our power curve best fit the aircraft's actual power curve. Typically this means that the aircraft will have a smooth power curve plotted against altitude rather than a sawtooth curve that dips at the supercharger shift points.

The Subject Aircraft will be a Focke-Wulf FW 190D-9. Since I haven't built such a model yet, My FW 190A has agreed to be the stand-in for now. Most of the specifications are quite similar between the two aircraft and I happen to like the look of it.

- Ivan.