Milviz P-38J/L "Red Bull" Redux - Released - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Milviz P-38J/L "Red Bull" Redux - Released

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Gman, OUTSTANDING work!!!
    Thank you sir. :salute:
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I must echo the same sentiments - your modifications to the textures look excellent, Gman! Much better with the correct flat/flush rivets in use (Howard Hughes would be pleased). ; )
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

and I forgot to add my compliments too! Major improvement, well done!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Thanks for this great little hotrod guys Nice hangarmate for the Civil P-51.

Cheers
    TJ
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. My wife's father flew the P-38 in the South Pacific so I have given this particular aircraft a bit more attention than I have put into some of my others. I'll wait for Milviz to finish their improvements, then I'll revamp my skins from there.
    I sure do like the new flight dynamics, great job. Did you guys tweak the sound sets too? The cockpit is appropriately quiet, and the engine sounds (turbo-superchargers) outside seem much more...well...stimulating. Nice.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country
    I'm having troubles with ground handling........I'm set to auto-rudder, but she won't turn ?!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I'm having troubles with ground handling........I'm set to auto-rudder, but she won't turn ?!
    Seems to be turning with differential brakes which is probably realistic.

I just bought this baby and it is goregous model. BUT. Have other found this to be very FPS intensive model? I get locked 30 fps with pretty much everything else (except in the worst hubs with high AI settings, like short moments in FSDT KLAX or so), but with RB P-38 FPS is fluctuating mostly between 23-28 FPS even in the normal scenery and when I tried this in ORBX England I got sometimes figures under 20 FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrunt View Post

I just bought this baby and it is goregous model. BUT. Have other found this to be very FPS intensive model? I get locked 30 fps with pretty much everything else (except in the worst hubs with high AI settings, like short moments in FSDT KLAX or so), but with RB P-38 FPS is fluctuating mostly between 23-28 FPS even in the normal scenery and when I tried this in ORBX England I got sometimes figures under 20 FPS.
    Very interesting. I did some testing on my HP EliteBook 8530p, and she was amazing with frames. Granted, I was using Vanilla FSX (no scenery/weather addons).

All the best, Diego

Testing along with Diego, I never noticed an FPS drop...unless I was in a high density area. And to be honest I try to test all aircraft in the stock PNW area with Clear skies, in order to get a good example of how it's going to play out. that way I've eliminated weather related FPS issues, and introduced a fairly robust stock area of FSX. But I've not encountered that problem with this bird. The F-86 on the other hand is a highly detailed model and so I get a couple FPS drop with that one, but nothing too bad.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

23-28 with Orbx (and all that glass in the VC) not a surprise... and not that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    23-28 with Orbx (and all that glass in the VC) not a surprise... and not that bad...
    With ORBX it is more like in the 20's or little more and on regular scenery it is around 23-28 FPS. Weather was pretty cloudy, so graphical load was quite high and with clear weather FPS improved somewhat. It is just that compared to other birds I fly, I suffer some FPS hit with this baby, but if this sounds something to be expected then that's it :salute:

I will check that if there is some setting that seems to particularly take the hit when I have time.

Chapel Hill, NC and the Texas Hill Country

I can get it to turn with brakes......I just figured the nose-wheel was connected to the rudder pedals. Like you, I'm set at 30 fps, average in the mid 20's but when flying this model it drops down to 16-17 fps, even in un-populated areas.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....

It's about learning

to dance in the rain.

This plane uses differential steering. No pedal control on the steering...

It's optimized for differential steering....Colin beat me to it! But yes, if you can afford it, I like rudder pedals with toe brakes. gives you another dimension to the experience.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by krazycolin View Post
    This plane uses differential steering. No pedal control on the steering...
    But if anyone would like to link it to rudder and cheat a bit and dont have nice set of braking rudder pedals and ground steering is hard. Very easy to change

Open aircraft.cfg file of the P-38. Then scroll down till you see the section for [contact points]

then see the first line (Contact Point.0 is normally the centre gear), then the 8th value will be 180 or 0 for differential steering (counting from 1 and not zero). change this value to 60 (or any value between 45 and 90) will give you steering with rudder (personally I like 60 - experiment with this value to find what is good for you).

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN EXAMPLE: DO NOT USE THESE LINES INTO P-38 Purely to illustrate how to change

example below of aircraft with differential steering
    point.0=1.0, -37.0, 0.0, -1.00, 1575.0, 0.0, 0.75, 180.0, 0.22, 2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 (the 180 value sometimes is also 0 (zero)- 180 and 0 give same effect)

example of same aircraft with rudder steering
    point.0=1.0, -37.0, 0.0, -1.00, 1575.0, 0.0, 0.75, 60.0, 0.22, 2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

Also make sure the 6th value is set to 0.
    In this example, parameter 6 = 0.000 (center gear) and parameter 8 = 60.0 degrees deflection.

I do not own this plane but have used the above method on many a plane that do not have rudder steering and will do so till one day I can afford nice set of rudder pedals with braking.
    until then this work a treat for me.

dumb question time..

I just picked this up last night. Great a/c.

With all the modern instrumentation I was looking for where to set the Nav1 for an ILS approach. Is this possible?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

The downside to many aircraft that have tricycle landing gear is that there is often little or no rudder authority (control) on the ground, so differential braking and engine power are used for ground handling.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Blog Entries
    I get locked 30 fps with pretty much everything else (except in the worst hubs with high AI settings, like short moments in FSDT KLAX or so), but with RB P-38 FPS is fluctuating mostly between 23-28 FPS even in the normal scenery and when I tried this in ORBX England I got sometimes figures under 20 FPS.
    25-30 FPS with Extreme PC tweaks enabled, ORBX, REX real time weather and also over Blue Sky Scenery with the sliders turned up. I drop into the teens at an airport with lots of eye candy. Bear in mind that these are 4096 skins with layers of bump, bump alpha, spec and spec alpha...graphics dependent maybe, but worth the expense. One could drop down to 2048 and gain performance, but I'm ok at average 27 FPS with the detail turned up....
    Thomas Jefferson

Bernt Stolle did the Flight Dynamics for this one, but I have done any number of similar era aircraft. To my knowledge no WWII era fighter of bomber had nose wheel steering and virtually no taildragger of any size had tail wheel steering (some P 40 models may have had some sort of TWS). The most realistic implementation would be with both pedals and dual throttles. Pedals allow modulation of the brakes on either side. Dual throttles allow one to largely control the direction through differential thrust. Differential braking as set up in this plane (same as in F7F and A26) sends any braking to the wheel in proportion to the amount of rudder applied, ie. full rudder left would apply all the brake force to the left wheel. To reiterate, the P-38 did not have nose wheel steering, all direction control was through differential braking, differential thrust, and at higher speeds, rudder.

Hmm, is there going to be an update already for P-38? Package seems to be the same at least so far. There was a following announcement in the Avsim frontpage from today:
    The Beechcraft Baron B-55- Light GA Twin Series from Military Visualizations has a Service Release to enhance RXP 3D GNS 430 / 530 support and user assigned radio stack versatility.

Additional updates for lighting were included with items suggested by MV clients to round out the Service Pack . Owners of the B55 are instructed to download their Beechcraft from the original point of purchase as it becomes available , the update is now ready for download on the Military Visualizations Product Page for clients who ordered it from there.

Also released this Weekend is an update for the P38 RedBull Redux , this Service Pack modifies the RXP GNS 430 / 530 Integration as well and in addition further enhances systems controls with extra mouse options.

The Update is available from the Milviz P-38 Civilian Redbull Redux Product Page now and from the original point of purchase as it is made available by the distributors
    Nice to see B55 updated too

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I just picked this up last night. Great a/c.

With all the modern instrumentation I was looking for where to set the Nav1 for an ILS approach. Is this possible?
    I repeat my question. Where does one set the Nav1 for an ILS approach?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Did you read the manual on the avionics system? And just to be sure, we don't provide support here. You will have to go to our forums, register (providing proof of purchase) and then post...

The changes in the P-38 were extremely minor and wouldn't be noticed except by those who use RXP... and even then...

I've looked on the product page of the P38, but I can't find anything that leads you to an update. What am I missing.

Thanks

It's a full installer. Just download and go.

Members who have read this thread: 55