It pays to be well liked at work

Thread: It pays to be well liked at work

It pays to be well liked at work

As I have posted before, I work at a plant that processes and packages fresh fruit and veggies for grocery store chains and restaurants. Daily, we package enough food to feed between 2.5 and 3 million people.....that's a lot of food!

The majority of the workers are immigrants from various Latin American nations....Mexico, El Salvador, Dominican Republic and the like. The English language is in the minority for sure. I speak a little Spanish....not enough to carry on full conversations with folks, but enough to communicate the basics....how many boxes or pallets of kiwi, avacado, cucumbers we have to run, how many boxes or pallets we have left to go before we are done with a certain item. Sometimes my conversational Spanish is just enough to make me look like an idiot...but the Spanish speakers do appreciate my efforts to speak to them in their native tongue and my efforts to learn more of the language.

Language barrier aside....I have been well received by Spanish speaking workers. I know most of them by name, and most of them know my name....they either call my Tim, Timoteo (the Spanish form of Timothy) or Gringo Loco (loosely translates as Crazy White Boy). Most of the time they call me Tim or Timoteo....one gal (a real hottie from the Dominican Republic) speaks very good English...she calls me Timothy...she says she likes my name a lot....two of my American female co-workers say that Bioalma...the Dominican Republic hottie....likes more about me than just my name.

Well...there are advantages to being this well liked by my co-workers and supervisors. Today, the line I was on was packing broccoli. 680 boxes of broccoli..each box holding 8 1-pound boxes. As the 50 pound boxes of broccoli were being dumped on the tables, and as the broccoli was being cut down to fit onto the trays...a lot of small pieces of broccoli pile up. These small pieces are tossed into blue 55 gallon barrels, and in turn those blue barrels are dumped into a large blue dumpster, which in turn is emptied into one of 3 farm trucks...along with all the other rejected/scrap fruit and veggies from the various lines and departments...and all that rejected fruit/veggie mix is trucked to a handful of hog farms in our area and used to feed pigs. I like to say that I turn brussel sprouts into bacon...which in my book is cooler than turning water into wine...no offense to Jesus or anything.

Well...I decided that I was in the mood for some nice steamed broccoli florets.....so I grabbed a pink packing tray bag and loaded it with about 5 pounds of those small broccoli pieces. When Chris, the weekend supervisor came by....I told him my intentions and he said "go for it". Later, Adolpho...the senior line leader...brought over two nice cucumbers left over from when Line 2 was packing cukes. And again later he brought over two very nice large peppers...one red and one yellow....and added them to my goodie bad.

Later in the afternoon, there were 8 large boxes of cabbage that needed to be taken to the scales, weighed, then put into the cooler. The lead tow motor driver was up to his eyeballs in work, all of the pallet jack drivers were more than busy....so the lead tow motor man pointed me out to Chris....and told him that I am tow motor and pallet jack certified and that I could do the job. Chris came to me and asked if I was comfortable driving a tow motor.....I told him that I am comfortable driving anything with wheels. So off the production line I go, onto a nice yellow tow motor and take on the task of getting those half ton boxes of cabbages weight certified and stored into the proper cooler.

After I had left the line, the line switched to running and packing Roma tomatoes. As I was doing the cabbage work, the department finished up for the day....did their clean up....as I was heading back to pick up the last box of cabbage...I asked one of the gals on the line if my goodie bag had been saved. She looked at me, smiled, and said "Yes, Timoteo....I moved your bag to the side and added a pack of Roma tomatoes for you." And sure enough....after I parked the tow motor and got it plugged in....there was my goodie bag...with the additional pack of 10 fat, juicy red Roma Tomatoes.

Yeah...being liked by your co-workers and supervisors....it has its rewards. Now, I'm off to the kitchen to steam up a nice big meal of broccoli florets, seasoned with lime juice and freshly ground black pepper, and sauteed peppers. Maybe grill up a chicken breast or two to go with all that tasty veggies

Tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It is great to be liked at work because there are so many benefits to it.. The place I used to work for I was considered the nice guy amongst the customers and was often told that I was much nicer than the guy that owned the place and that I was more understanding when it came to problems, always listen to the customer is what I say.. In turn I used to get tips from customers just because I was pleasant and was often asked by new customers if I was the owner and the other guy was the employee. They often remarked how bad his attitude was and how he shouldn't run a business. It just pays to be nice to other people and show them the respect they deserve.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Charter Member 2016
    Sounds good, Obio -

I notice you left out that part about inviting Ms. Hottie to the kitchen for a snack. . .

"Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

SOH-CM-2023
    Tim:

Just be careful about which tomatoes are getting steamed up. It's expensive if you pick the wrong ones !!

Members +
    A nice story...in these uncivil times its nice to remember ,or know of the general niceties of people.....but we know that ain't necessarily so!...Its a dogs world! is not an idle expression...some ,if not all work places there is a fierce competition going one!..Booby traps all over ,designed to knock you off..A strong desire to earn more,control more,be heard more...The rules of which are the rules of Warfare....Milking cows all ones life is gratifying, Cows are friendly ..But in the Cities? the Financial,Advertising,among union officials?Board meetings?used car salesman??
    Collecting debt from delinquents,Enforcing Plant regulations,arbitrating disputes,...It may not be so lovey dovey.all requires a stern stuff!!....For for a family man,the provider of his family,he is charged to supply life!..Be it colleges for kids,vacations for his family, marrying his daughters off,having a chic wife,the nice car,and the better neighborhood....A man has to be a river to his people..and his family will say..Keep flowing Dad.Keep flowing...In my youth,going of to work was a morning ritual.,Staring at my self in the mirror,getting my mind in gear..Fixing my War Face,which was a great smile,with great teeth,hair well groomed,fingernails clean and polished.Smelling good!..Then putting on my armor,the chain mail shirt,the gauntlets,the great helmet on my head,and that broad sword around my waist.All from Brooks Bros..The days events dictated what other weapon to carry,The Mace? Axe, or Ball and chain?.the better brief case?.My warhorse warming up in the garage,A fine Lincoln steed!,Before I saddle up,I a kiss to my fair haired maiden,tell her to hold down the castle,Pat the dog on the head,put out the garbage, get the newspaper,Wave to the neighbor,lecture the kids to be good and smart, as they get on the school bus,And I'am told ,not to forget to bring home the fresh fruit..And to pick up our daughter from ballet class! Then I Sally forth into the great battle of trying to make a living....Others are doing the same,and the melee starts in the office at 9AM promptly.....How many dragons will I dispatch today..and will I get a raise,authority,status,and War trophy's...And a good welcome home from the family??..Once the kids are put to bed,My Fair haired Maiden and I,enjoy the fruits of a satisfying day, on that fine couch,I relate the details of today's battle to her as ,modestly as I can, sparing her gentile ears of the blood and gore,,she says darling yer just wonderful,and I say..I ARE!! That and some fine wine!......Heaven!!...Winning is everything,losing is not!,If you lose ,your family suffers,Their life is diminished,Can not have that happen..The Family is Ones Holy Grail!..... Deus vult! <label for="rb_iconid_24"></label>........HAPPY EASTER ALL!!!

Good on you Obio.

It costs nothing to be nice, but often the rewards couldn't be bought.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdflieger View Post
    Good on you Obio.

It costs nothing to be nice, but often the rewards couldn't be bought.
    Amen!
    One of our contractors that I worked with was somewhat of a "throwback"....A individual's word & a good ol' fashioned handshake went a long way with him.....