ERS Bell 222A Released
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ERS Bell 222A Released

ERS Bell 222A Released

After nearly three years of development, the Bell 222A for Microsoft Flight Simulator X is now available for download! It has been a long development process and we are happy to finally be able to make the 222A available to the community.

More information and a link to download the 222A can be found on our website.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Looks great; thanks!

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Fantastic!!! :salute:
    Cheers,
    Dave

Thanks so much for this 222 ! Mike

You just made my easter break EVEN BETTER!

thanks and well done
    Roshane"Python" Samarasekara

Who said Kiwis can't fly?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i5 3570K @ 4.6ghz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | G.Skill 16GB Ares | EVGA Nvidia GTX 660 SC | Coolermaster X6 Heatsink | Corsair C70 Case | Seasonic 620W PSU

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is nice. I read the manual so that I could attempt repeat attempt to spool it up. There are about 3 or 4 Shift + (X) to go thru for the start up
    (This puppy won't start with the conventional CTRL + E routine. I could get the main rotor blade to spin 2 maybe 3 rotations then it would poop
    out and after many repeated attempts, my patience pooped out as well. I had to install it to a dummy folder so that I could manually delete
    all the effects and other related files as this doesn't come with uninstaller.

Thanks but no thanks. Again, nice helo and wish I could of had better luck with the startup but I guess it just didn't work out. Check JB Hi Fi Catalogue and Lenovo Catalogue.
    Too bad there wasn't a youtube video on the startup.

Glad everyone is enjoying it!

Quote Originally Posted by richoday View Post
    It is nice. I read the manual so that I could attempt repeat attempt to spool it up. There are about 3 or 4 Shift + (X) to go thru for the start up
    (This puppy won't start with the conventional CTRL + E routine. I could get the main rotor blade to spin 2 maybe 3 rotations then it would poop
    out and after many repeated attempts, my patience pooped out as well. I had to install it to a dummy folder so that I could manually delete
    all the effects and other related files as this doesn't come with uninstaller.

Thanks but no thanks. Again, nice helo and wish I could of had better luck with the startup but I guess it just didn't work out.
    Too bad there wasn't a youtube video on the startup.

Due to the limits of the FSX flight model, you have to start the throttles out at 1% when engaging the starters, then roll the throttles up to about 50% for the engines to continue to spool up.

It is intentional that the helicopter is to be started by hand (without the use of Ctrl+E).

Still a bit of a learning curve, but my real world Helo flying has been useful - Great Job with this addon ! Mike

Charter Member 2012
    Im interested in buying but can someone please post some screenshots of the cockpit and the external model in daylight!? Im not going to risk it from what i have seen so far! I need to make a comparison between this and the excellent 222 from cera sim.

Please help.

Barnes: It is freeware, so no risk at all!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

By the way, am I the only one hearing the Airwolf theme when even just reading 'Bell 222'...?

Blog Entries
    Most current screenshots are located here

Bear in mind that this will be a continued work in progress. I could have spent more time on the bird, but I have other priorities at the moment including my commitments with Milviz and the upcoming Bell 407. I will provide periodic updates and in the end, I am planning on doing all new visuals for the exterior and most importantly, the virtual cockpit.

Startup is simple.

1.) Once loaded, the helicopter/engines will spooldown. it is imperative that the pilot panel is loaded up once to ensure rotor will engage during engine start

2.) Open overhead panel (Shift+4) and turn on fuel valves

3.) Open collective control (Shift+7) and increase throttle to 5%

4.) Open co-pilot panel (Shift+2) and enage engine starters (one at a time)

5.) Once either engine is started, push starter button again to disengage. Open overhead panel and turn on the generator and invertor for the started engine. Repeat process for the second engine

6.) Once both engines are running, throttles can now be increased to 100%. Be sure to activate both hydraulic switches before takeoff

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    Most current screenshots are located here

Bear in mind that this will be a continued work in progress. I could have spent more time on the bird, but I have other priorities at the moment including my commitments with Milviz and the upcoming Bell 407. I will provide periodic updates and in the end, I am planning on doing all new visuals for the exterior and most importantly, the virtual cockpit.

Startup is simple.

1.) Once loaded, the helicopter/engines will spooldown. it is imperative that the pilot panel is loaded up once to ensure rotor will engage during engine start

2.) Open overhead panel (Shift+4) and turn on fuel valves

3.) Open collective control (Shift+7) and increase throttle to 5%

4.) Open co-pilot panel (Shift+2) and enage engine starters (one at a time)

5.) Once either engine is started, push starter button again to disengage. Open overhead panel and turn on the generator and invertor for the started engine. Repeat process for the second engine

6.) Once both engines are running, throttles can now be increased to 100%. Be sure to activate both hydraulic switches before takeoff
    or you can......

7.) As it spools down upon load up, you can quickly hold down the CTRL + E keys and it will spool up again. Least it worked for me.

Until more definitive and lucid instructions come along that's the way I start it.

I understand the press SHIFT + (Your fav number here) and push this and press that, but I see legions of buttons and numbers and indicators
    that are just barely labeled as to what the sam hill they are. How about some pictures with red arrows pointing to just what it is that I am
    supposed to push and press. Some of the Devs for the Tube liners are more intricate to start up yet they provide some pics or other instructional
    info (visuals) that will aid in a successful startup. Appreciate it. It is a nice helo and I think it is wonderful that this is freeware but
    it don't do me any good to wonder aimlessly from the different Shift + (number) screens looking and frantically trying this, that and the other
    hoping for a different outcome!!! Bottom line here, Looking for visual aids to assist with the directions in the manual.

Total loss of power

Thank you for a wonderful model, I seem to be having a few problems keeping the engines running and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I follow the start up procedure to the letter, run the engines up to 100%, ensure all switches are made, then as I'm about to take off I lose all power. Rotor rpm drops away and engines shut down. I think I'm making a basic error but I'm not sure what. I would be most grateful for your advice.Thanks.

This seems to be an ongoing problem that either needs a lot more explanation or fixing. I had problems also getting the #1 engine to spool up and stay running. So, thinking that maybe parameters from a previous flight were mucking things up I setup a cold&dark default flight with the default Cessna...all switches off. Loaded that up and switched to the Heli. . .engines spooled down and I loaded the Pilot Panel. . .next the overhead and turned on both fuel valves. . .next the collective and set #1 to 5%. . .opened the copilot panel and engaged the starter for #1 engine, engine spools up, sounds like it's about to catch and then "nothing". . .it spools down and all is quiet. I observed that through the entire spool up, the rotors never moved is there a rotor clutch/brake that's missing from the startup sequence?

As others have mentioned. . .I appreciate the gift, beautiful Heli and I'd love to fly it, but the startup is either missing something from the sequence of switches and buttons or something is missing from the explanation.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    Still a bit of a learning curve, but my real world Helo flying has been useful - Great Job with this addon ! Mike
    Ok Flyboy, with your realworld experience what is it in the sequence for startup (after reading my previous post please), that the rest of us aren't comprehending?. . .I should add here before someone asks the obvious question. . .yes there is fuel in the Heli!

Current System Specs:

Just a quick update, got everything started and let it run for a minute or so, used the autopilot to hover to 30 feet, then transitioned to forward flight, at this point it was looking good and I managed a circuit of KNSE. As I was coming in it happened again, lost all power and control. Would love to figure out whats wrong?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    This seems to be an ongoing problem that either needs a lot more explanation or fixing. I had problems also getting the #1 engine to spool up and stay running. So, thinking that maybe parameters from a previous flight were mucking things up I setup a cold&dark default flight with the default Cessna...all switches off. Loaded that up and switched to the Heli. . .engines spooled down and I loaded the Pilot Panel. . .next the overhead and turned on both fuel valves. . .next the collective and set #1 to 5%. . .opened the copilot panel and engaged the starter for #1 engine, engine spools up, sounds like it's about to catch and then "nothing". . .it spools down and all is quiet. I observed that through the entire spool up, the rotors never moved is there a rotor clutch/brake that's missing from the startup sequence?

As others have mentioned. . .I appreciate the gift, beautiful Heli and I'd love to fly it, but the startup is either missing something from the sequence of switches and buttons or something is missing from the explanation.
    Falcon,

Share your feelings. Wish there had been cold and dark or CTRL + E start up options or at least some visual aids to accompany the directions.
    Even Natops manuals come with pictures (illustrations).

I see a lot of people viewing this thread, some of which have already mentioned that they have started the Heli and are flying. Please take the time, if you are reading this to share any insight. Did you follow the sequence as outlined in this thread or did you deviate from it in any way to accomplish engine start? Did you add a step from previous knowledge where you might have had a similar problem? I know what the developer is saying is the correct sequence and it doesn't take a licensed pilot to follow the steps so what is it that we're missing?

Current System Specs:

@falcon409 The way I managed to get it flying was follow the steps as per start up instructions. Then when both engines are started gradually increase engine RPM TO 50%. once this is done you will see a visible change in the rotor speed and the noise will increase. I then powered up to 100% engine RPM and was then able to take off. Shortly into the flight however as i was saying the power was lost.

Forgot to mention when it goes silent as if powering down just ignore that as it is still running. Or at least mine was.

Quote Originally Posted by therealjambo View Post
    Forgot to mention when it goes silent as if powering down just ignore that as it is still running. Or at least mine was.
    Thanks, I've followed the sequence exactly as outlined here and also via the manual (can't believe I actually read the manual). As you state when the engine sounds like it's winding down. . .well in my case it does. When it goes silent, it's because nothing is running. I appreciate the need for realism, but at the end of the day, I want to be able to fly and unless something changes by the end of the day today as far as a remedy for the inability to start this helicopter. . .free or not it will be gone. I have several other Helicopters that I fly regularly so I won't be out anything.

Current System Specs:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ok,

With the help of my son, we managed to get this thing started. Found some of the fuel gauges and other thingy bobs and wiffle valves to start it up.

Still would of been nice if some visual aids were included in the manual. Maybe I can do what they should of done. I think I will make uninstaller for this
    as well = make installer/uninstaller.

Quote Originally Posted by richoday View Post
    Ok,

With the help of my son, we managed to get this thing started. Found some of the fuel gauges and other thingy bobs and wiffle valves to start it up.

Still would of been nice if some visual aids were included in the manual. Maybe I can do what they should of done. I think I will make uninstaller for this
    as well = make installer/uninstaller.
    Ok. . . .and what did you do differently to get it started. . .I also found all the necessary gauges, I have from the start. . .but watching them doesn't start the engine. . .it only confirms what I already know, which is that it won't start with the procedures outlined in the manual. If I've loaded the 2D, there's fuel in the tanks, fuel switches on, battery on, throttle set to 5%, start switch for #1 active. . .based on what the manual tells me, it should start and it does not.

Current System Specs:

Here's what I found about starting the engines. I opened the collective panel and set the values on each engine to "1", as the book said. Then hit the starter button. Then tried to advance the throttles using my CH Products throttle lever. That doesn't work. Helicopters are strange. Started over. I hit the starter button, waited a couple seconds, then started clicking the green up arrow on the collective panel for the engine being started. I just slowly clicked and clicked until it was up to "50". Engine started. Repeat with other engine.

Then I tried to take off, using my throttle levers on the CH unit. Engines seemed to die, but came back after I brought the levers back. Then I went back to that collective panel and ran the two values up to "100". Now I could take off and fly around.

For about 30 seconds! First my radios went dead, then the engines... I did have the batteries and generators on.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 3