Vietnam Veterans Recognition Day

Thread: Vietnam Veterans Recognition Day

Vietnam Veterans Recognition Day

I was unaware of this, but in an E-mail I just received, I can now report that in many states and cities across this great land that tomorrow, the 29th of March, is Vietnam Veterans Recognition Day. Here's a link:

http://www.uwvc.org/events/2013-viet...cognition-day/

I guess we've come quite a way since then. I recall the snickers and insults at the airport when returning home from my tour and I also remember being proud of my service and that I was more than just a little put off by the attitude of the country against its soldiers. While I wasn't what you would call a "Lifer" at the time, I did go on to serve 42 years in the military and in many ways, I really learned my military trade and grew up as a man in that distant land.

So for all of you VN vets here at the Outhouse: Keep the faith brothers.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Hear, hear and raise a beer ! :salute: :USA-flag:

Thank you all....

I too was totally unaware of this important day. About freaking time that the veterans of that era receive the recognition and honor that they deserve. For me personally, every day is Veteran Appreciation Day.....I very rarely pass up the opportunity to give veterans a salute, a hand shake, a "Welcome Home" and a heartfelt Thank You. Yesterday, when I got home from work, the neighbor guy's Dad was sitting out in his truck....waiting for his wife to come out of the house.....I noticed the Combat Veteran plates on his truck....and the Bronze Star on that license plate. I gave him my show of respect and my thanks for his service. He told me that on the day he was drafted, there were 19 young men from his hometown (5 of whom he graduated from high school with) in that small courtroom hallway....answering the call of their nation. All 19 of those young men came home from Vietnam.....12 of them with Bronze Stars, all of them with Purple Hearts, 2 with Silver Stars. Of those 19.....16 are still alive today.....3 having died of natural causes within the last handful of years. Those 16 men, many years older now then when they stood in that small room on the day they reported for the draft, still get together at least twice a month for dinner and beers.

Oh...my neighbor Shawn....he was wounded in Iraq, has a Purple Heart. His brother saw action in Afghanistan and has a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star.

+++++++++++++++++

To all the Vietnam Veterans here on Sim Out-House........

Welcome Home

and

Thank You

Tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks everyone - I APPRECIATE it!!!

I can remember coming home and getting temp. assigned to my home town as a recruiter - HELL the people would hardly look at ya, never mind talk to ya!!

Unfortunately I would have to say it hasn't gotten much better.. A couple of years ago I got this notice from one of the associations (I can't remember if it was the VFW or the American Legion or whomever) saying they had "reviewed my records" and I was now ellegible to join! NEEDLESS to say they can 'stick' that invitation where the sun don't shine - they should have realized that 35 years sooner!!!!

I really think it's neat what everyone tries to do (and has done) for the WW2 vets and the current guys / gals coming home today however it feels like most everyone has either forgotten or has tried to forget about the Vietnam and Korea conflicts...

Anyways, that's my thoughts...

Bill

Thanks all. I remember the nasty stares I recieved when I returned from Okinawa in early 1972. The ugly stares from some of those around me will always remain in my memory. USAF 1969-1973

I try to give a smile, handshake and thanks to our vets that I see on the street today.

Thanks to all of you.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Members +
    My younger brother came home..He came home into an America he did not leave.At the Airport were the Freaks, Flower Children,The Pot Smoking Anti Americans.Whos hero then was Charlie Manson.Jeering at him, burning the American Flag,and draft cards,calling him baby killer,pig,Spitting at him,...My brother was shocked and confused..Were it not for the fact our family totally supported his effort and patriotism, he may have gotten Very confused...But he learned fast..He would not wear his uniform in that world of a changed home! Those were the best of times and the worst of times,We walked on the moon,.The Tet offensive,Charlie Manson,Jane Fonda,John Kerry throwing his medals away,,the whole of HOOLAVOOD,the SICK comedians,Woodstock , Age Of Aquarius,Hippys Drug polluted R@R..Many of these types are running the country today..Today Americas Worst Generation,except for the kids who volunteer to fight our wars..Never have so many owed so much for so few....They are now also getting the Purple Shaft award..What with budget cuts..Who gets shafted first??? Why The Vets and their Family's...YUCK!!

The Treatment of American Viet Nam Warriors,all services,was ,and still is a black stain on America!....Next time any see a Nam Vet Thank him,for that matter A Koren Vet, for he too is forgotten and suffered almost the same as Nam vets did,..I know!!...GOD BLESS AMERICA:salute:

Well said guys. Beana, your point is well taken and that's a shame as it now affects my son, currently serving with the Rangers.

A friend sent me this link several years ago, and it might be apropos to post it here. I volunteered to be a gunner with the Air Cav and this really sums up my experience with the duty before returning to the Infantry.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qH2vbYs6ebc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Keep the faith brothers.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Benjamin Franklin

Hi All. I am proud to have served as an Airfield Defence Guard with 2 Squadron RAAF at Phan Rang AB in 1970-71. We did the night patrolling outside the base perimeter.

I am especially proud that our unit was a part of the 35th TFW USAF and we shared 2 unit citations.

After the war, well, Australian Vets received the universal response of the middle digit. We now have Vietnam Veterans Day on the 18th of August. This day celebrates the actions of Delta Company 6RAR at Long Tan in 1966. The story is worth googling..

Sorry if I'm rambling but most people forget about Australia's contribution.

Happy Vets day to my Yank mates and all others who served and are serving
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members +
    Sorry Mate,I do not think many forgot at all.They left their mark in blood on our mutual enemies BUTT!...Cheers..Vin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyAy13C0vAQ

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Jagdflieger for your note, I'm not sure we're doing anything here in Brunswick, GA but I'll be thinking about that day nonetheless. I was in during the war but was kept stateside by the AF, helping to train the fighter pilots at Luke AFB that went overseas to fight over the north and support the guys on the ground in the south. My hat is off to all those who did go and did their country's bidding. :salute:

Well here is one dumb American who was aware of your contribution.:salute:

And a shoutout to Rich who had his copilot shot in the head while flying an H43 up North. And to Dean who got his arm stuck in a bridge during an NVA mortar attack.

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog22 View Post
    Hi All. I am proud to have served as an Airfield Defence Guard with 2 Squadron RAAF at Phan Rang AB in 1970-71. We did the night patrolling outside the base perimeter.

I am especially proud that our unit was a part of the 35th TFW USAF and we shared 2 unit citations.

After the war, well, Australian Vets received the universal response of the middle digit. We now have Vietnam Veterans Day on the 18th of August. This day celebrates the actions of Delta Company 6RAR at Long Tan in 1966. The story is worth googling..

Sorry if I'm rambling but most people forget about Australia's contribution.

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog22 View Post
    Hi All. I am proud to have served as an Airfield Defence Guard with 2 Squadron RAAF at Phan Rang AB in 1970-71. We did the night patrolling outside the base perimeter. I am especially proud that our unit was a part of the 35th TFW USAF and we shared 2 unit citations. After the war, well, Australian Vets received the universal response of the middle digit. We now have Vietnam Veterans Day on the 18th of August. This day celebrates the actions of Delta Company 6RAR at Long Tan in 1966. The story is worth googling.. Sorry if I'm rambling but most people forget about Australia's contribution.
    We had an Australian unit stationed with us at Ubon, Thailand. One night in the airmen's club, I traded shirts and covers with one of the fellows. He got my jungle fatigue shirt and black beret. I got his khaki shirt and bush hat. I don't know what ever happened to the shirt but, I still have the hat. Needless to point out but, we were both pretty deep in our cups....LOL. We also had an Australian pilot go along with us one night on a Blind Bat mission. I also got to spend a week in Australia on one ocassion. Many happy memories of how great everyone was down there.

RD

R & R in Australia

I took my R&R from VN in Australia. Had a great time with a four day hunting trip up in the Blue Mountains and good food and beer in Sydney. I loved every minute of it. The Australians, no matter where I was, were the best of hosts.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Benjamin Franklin

May the sacrifices made by our Vietnam vets never be forgotten.......:salute:
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Attachment 84051

I recently learned that a member of my American Legion Post had written a book about his experience in Vietnam. He was selling it at a recent event we had at the Post for Wounded Warriors in Action, so I bought a copy. I read it cover to cover the next day (since I was a bit hungover from the previous days activities ). He told me that a lot of books about Vietnam are written from an officers perspective and that he wanted write from a Private's perspective.
    At the Post we have a flak jacket in a lighted display case that one of our members (Vietnam door gunner) donated to the club and we have all the Vietnam vets sign it. A copy of the book has been placed in the case with it.
    If anyone is interested in reading it you can buy it at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/1966-Year-Hors.../dp/1608442020

I'm totally embarrassed that I missed this one!
    That being said, I've always believed that I can't thank enough all my veteran predecessors for paving the way to where things are today....

Don't feel bad Panther, I totally missed it too and I am a Viet Nam Vet. Phu Bai 70-71.

Beard
    More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!

Blog Entries

Phu Bai's allright...

Quote Originally Posted by BurningBeard View Post
    Don't feel bad Panther, I totally missed it too and I am a Viet Nam Vet. Phu Bai 70-71.

Beard
    I was there too... and missed it too.... lol I arrived there in '69 on April Fool's Day! Very good year for me... Saved a lot of lives with the 85th EVAC... nothing but good memories. Having been able to contact a single individual from the unit it seems they never have reunions... pity... You must have been a real young guy! I was an ancient 30 year old CPT... now going on 76 but still strong...

Yep, I turned 20 over there was, arrived as a PFC left country as a SP5. Odd, it was not mentioned on a veterans group I get all sorts of stuff from (8thRRFS). Those guys are usually on top of that sort of thing.

Beard
    More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!