Getting Started

Thread: Getting Started

Getting Started

Is there a specific order in which the swap from FSX to P3D should be accomplished? Should tweaks to the P3D.cfg file be accomplished last, after all other payware aircraft, scenery, environment, etc are moved over or does it matter? Are Portovers still usable in P3D or is that no longer possible? I'm giving P3D one more opportunity to prove itself before I accept the fact that my rig will not run it as well as FSX (. . .and FSX isn't all that great as far as FPS goes) visually, it's great compared to FS9 (almost anything would be), but blurries, stutters and low FPS have brought me back to try P3D one more time.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Is there a specific order in which the swap from FSX to P3D should be accomplished? Should tweaks to the P3D.cfg file be accomplished last, after all other payware aircraft, scenery, environment, etc are moved over or does it matter? Are Portovers still usable in P3D or is that no longer possible? I'm giving P3D one more opportunity to prove itself before I accept the fact that my rig will not run it as well as FSX (. . .and FSX isn't all that great as far as FPS goes) visually, it's great compared to FS9 (almost anything would be), but blurries, stutters and low FPS have brought me back to try P3D one more time.
    Ed, I would do the basic install then install all the addon scenery and aircraft. The Prepar3d.cfg file can be altered after that. I update mine with the Jesus 'Bojote' Altuve every now and then. With the current Nvidia drivers I seem to be getting a few stutters myself. Don't remember that happening in the past. Still P3D is fantastic for just about everything. Hope this helps.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Thanks Tom!

Current System Specs:

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Yep. I would get it all working first, do the tweak thing with the P3D config, 'then' start bringing in everything.

I just copied over contents of folders from FSX to my P3D folders. I was sure not to overwrite P3D files though. P3D 'works' files need to stay 'P3D' and not FSX as they have improved alot of things.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Jesus 'Bojote' Altuve.
    Err, please explain what this is?

Thanks, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Err, please explain what this is?

Thanks, NC
    NC, this is a fantastic tweaking tool that has improved my performance in FSX and P3D tremendously. You can find it HERE!!

Is it advisable to start with a fresh cfg file. . .in other words, save the current FSX.cfg to an outside folder, start FSX and let it build a fresh config file and then use that to run the tweak tool on. . .or is there any advantage to using the current FSX.cfg and just saving a copy of it for later use? Also, purchased a new graphics card (GT630), not what I would choose if I had money, but the best I could do for now. I've seen a 10fps increase over the 9600Gt, much of that I credit with the fact that the 9600 had 512RAM, the GT630 has 2 gig.

Current System Specs:

Ed, I always save the default FSX and P3D config files just in case. Once the tweak is done I use that exclusively in FSX and P3D.