End of an era

Thread: End of an era

Charter Member 2011

Unhappy End of an era

Well thats thats, they've finaly decided they are going to hand over responsibilty for uk SAR to a private firm. I know Irelands SAR is private and does pretty well for itself, and our seakings are falling apart, but its still sad to be seeing them going

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-helicopt...e.html#ftxNF2u
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Hopefully it will improve SAR rather than just trim costs, but it's still sad to see that era come to an end.

Are they going to charge for a rescue? Better carry your Amex else they let you drown. That'll do nicely sir. It's all about money these days.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CWOJackson View Post
    Hopefully it will improve SAR rather than just trim costs, but it's still sad to see that era come to an end.
    it'll be damn hard to imporve the SAR as it is now, being run by the RAF has made it an impeccable service. It is all about cost cutting at the end of the day, cheaper to sell it then it is buying new helicopters to replace the seakings and paying the crew. Its extremly likely all the crew (mechs/backroom staff/aircrew) involved with the SAR squadrons will be made redundant and passed out of the RAF along with all the others there trimming at the mo.

Are they going to charge for a rescue? Better carry your Amex else they let you drown. That'll do nicely sir. It's all about money these days.
    they havent said, I'd be surprised if they did though.
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

What'll happen to Prince William? No more photo ops flying his beeg chopper.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Charter Member 2011
    ah they'll just put him in a chinook, even bigger chopper!!

although to be fair Prince Will is actually an active member of the RAF SAR, and does fly rescue missions regularly, so its not really fair to bash him really

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post

ah they'll just put him in a chinook, even bigger chopper!!
    I was surprised at how many of them you fly over there. Some of them have to be getting a little long in the tooth as well.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Eh eh Don't be giving the USCG and the Canadian SAR any idea's.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Eh eh Don't be giving the USCG and the Canadian SAR any idea's.
    Some of them deserve to be charged!

Nothing like having most of your assets out looking for some overdue fishermen, only to find out they're sitting in a marina getting sloshed and never bothered to let their families know.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Will they be giving out air miles on credit card usage?
    Matt

Charter Member 2015
    Since the Irish SAR service was privatised (following the tragic Irish Air Corps Dauphin accident in Tramore,Co.Waterford) the Irish Coastguard have provided an exemplary service. They have recently passed 1000hrs on the new Sikorsky S92. The rest of the venerable S61N fleet are due to be replaced by the end of the year,IIRC.

I'm sure that a number of the current RAF SAR crews will eventually end up flying for their civilian counterparts.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

And Bristow do have a decent record (IIRC) operating choppers.
    Nothing lasts forever.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    And Bristow do have a decent record (IIRC) operating choppers.
    Nothing lasts forever.
    i never said it was going to make the thing worse etc, just sad to see the bright yellow seakings going

There was a report on ABC this morning that Prince William is considering leaving the SAR presumably to allow more time for his forthcoming "daddy duties" as well as his "Royal duties..."
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Members who have read this thread: 0