re. FSX cleanup

Thread: re. FSX cleanup

re. FSX cleanup

If you're like me and have installed planes, boats, etc. to test, and then deleted them:
    go to your folder where the REAL active fsx.cfg is, then under folder Simobjects delete any folders with objects you no longer have installed.
    Basically it logs the time you have used each. (you can check if you're in the right place, each folder should only have entry - 'state.cfg')
    Deleting entries I know I no longer have (leave AI vehicles alone unless you're into AI).

This sped up my aircraft select process screen a lot.

Good info and sounds right and totally forgot about those. I have a hangar folder I use to keep non-active models I don't fly everyday, sadly this is filled with a few payware models as well. Unfortunately I have tons of military AI.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Thanks a lot for this trick!
    So can I delete all the folder without the file state.cfg inside?

Hi Paul

I have a dumb question: where do I find FSX.cfg ???? ;=(

Italo

Quote Originally Posted by italoc View Post
    Hi Paul

I have a dumb question: where do I find FSX.cfg ???? ;=(

Italo
    it's in C:\Users\your pc name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

I never even noticed that sub-folder 'simobjects'...and I'd done squillions of add-ons. Cleaning them up there certainly made things quicker...
    Thanks for the tip...

One other thought, not specifically for FSX but for PC tuneup in general.
    I'm running Windows XP 32 bit, once a year (or whenever I remember, just remembered) I go to start, right click on my computer,
    choose properties, advanced, performance settings, advanced, virtual memory, select no paging file, and reboot.
    When restarted, repeat above but when get to virtual memory select Custom size - minimum 2048 and maximum 4096 for each drive listed, and reboot.
    This should result in fresh empty defragmented virtual memory file(s) to be built again as you use things which I suspect XP does not address in it's defrag program.
    Can't hurt, seems to help.
    Any thoughts?

Oh, and get a virus checker (I use the freeware Adaware) that has a gaming mode so you can turn it on/off before/after FSX so it's not scanning your hard drive(s), sending popups, etc.