Alpha F-8 Crusader improvements
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alpha F-8 Crusader improvements

Banned
    Blog Entries

Alpha F-8 Crusader improvements

I gleaned some additional nuggets of info over at Simviation on improvements on the Alpha F-8 Crusader and thought I'd share:

In the aircraft.cfg change these lines

[General]
    atc_type=
    atc_model=

to

[General]
    atc_type=crusader
    atc_model=F-8J

Then ATC will call you crusader

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To make it carrier ready also add these lines after the tailhook section

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 15.4, 0.0, -2.17
    launch_bar_lug = 15.8, 0.0, -2.23

Link to simviation to a zip file with essentially same info: (F-8 Vought Crusader Package Updates) <<<< Zip file contains new Aircraft.cfg with above changed incorporated
    all you have to do is copy (overide your aircraft.cfg file) keep backup of original if you want to. Plus a few new thumbnails are supplied.

http://simviation.com/1/browse-Military-57-0

Thanks Rich, all good stuff.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rich,

Also changed the reheat/AB effects - I don't find bright yellow blow torch-type effects particularly realistic, and instead prefer a more understated effect such as the AS F-105 is nicer - deeper orange, not so in your face:

Attachment 83239

Fixed position of the AB effects, and commented out the silly FS9 contrails to this

[lights]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    light.0 = 4, 23.00, 0.00, 2.00, fx_vclight
    light.1 = 6, -22.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_F105_exh1
    light.2 = 9, -32.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_F105_AB
    //light.3 = 7, -11.46,-17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
    //light.4 = 7, -11.46, 17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen

If you don't own the AS F-105, there are other suitable freeware effects out there - indeed, the Rollus F-8 has a really nice three-part burner - but I just haven't bothered to upgrade my AS Crusader since it doesn't fly too much anymore. If people really want that effect on the AS Crusader, I can play with it....

Regards,

Callsign...

....actually Rich, rather than "Crusader" for the atc id...you'd actually want a tactical callsign for max realism. For example, for VMF-323 (who was a Marine Corps squadron flying the F-8), it would be "Snake XX", where "XX" is a two digit number. VF-111, would be "Sundown XX".

These represent unit static callsigns used in peacetime-- things get more complicated during war. The best story I ever heard about the use of callsigns to win was a Gulf War story...apparently, during DESERT SHIELD (pre-war), we were bestowed KC-135s and KC-10 sorties with callsigns that were the names of oil companies (Citgo XX, Sunoco XX, Mobil XX, Gulf XX, etc.). At the same time, for fighter units, we were using callsigns like "Jaguar XX", "Python XX", "Tiger XX". The Iraqis decided to take advantage of this when DESERT STORM kicked off, and go after our tankers....Unfortunately for them, we swapped callsigns with the beginning of the war! Don't know if the story is true, but it sounds like something we'd do to win (back then the US had a policy of winning wars it was engaged in...).

Ah well, just my .02 cents.

Kent

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Thanks Rich,

Also changed the reheat/AB effects - I don't find bright yellow blow torch-type effects particularly realistic, and instead prefer a more understated effect such as the AS F-105 is nicer - deeper orange, not so in your face:

Attachment 83239

Fixed position of the AB effects, and commented out the silly FS9 contrails to this

[lights]
    light.1 = 6, -22.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_F105_exh1
    light.2 = 9, -32.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_F105_AB
    //light.3 = 7, -11.46,-17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
    //light.4 = 7, -11.46, 17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen

If you don't own the AS F-105, there are other suitable freeware effects out there - indeed, the Rollus F-8 has a really nice three-part burner - but I just haven't bothered to upgrade my AS Crusader since it doesn't fly too much anymore. If people really want that effect on the AS Crusader, I can play with it....

Regards,
    Looks good however, I don't have the AS F105. Thought I could find it in their FS9 freeware version but no luck. Any suggestions on other AB's to borrow from that would get same
    effect you got?

Blog Entries
    Hello Rich,

Pity - I have used that effect on all my AS Phantoms, and like-engined turbojet aircraft - it's really nice. Other nice effects I've borrowed are the Razbam F-102 AB (used on my F4D Skyray), and the AS F-104 used on a few others (AS XB-70, etc). Not knowing which of these or other payware a/c you have, I limited my focus on freeware. Had a hard time, since many of the freeware reheated engines are modern turbofans (F-14D, F-18, etc) and the effect just looks different from the old reheated turbojets - and/or are modelled for FSX in a way that doesn't easily adapt to old FS9 portovers like the AS F-8.

I ran out of time - so if you can live with blue instead of orange, here's what I did using the Rollus F-8 effects. Effect looks like this:

Attachment 83259

The aircraft itself is readily available from Simviation and/or Avsim. Edits I made to the lights section are as follows:

[lights]
    light.1 = 9, -30.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_crusaderF_BURN_ONE
    light.2 = 9, -36.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_crusaderF_BURN_TWO
    light.3 = 9, -36.50, 0.00, 0.10, fx_crusaderF_TORCH_FLAM
    light.4 = 9, -25.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_crusaderF_GLITTER

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    ....actually Rich, rather than "Crusader" for the atc id...you'd actually want a tactical callsign for max realism. For example, for VMF-323 (who was a Marine Corps squadron flying the F-8), it would be "Snake XX", where "XX" is a two digit number. VF-111, would be "Sundown XX".

These represent unit static callsigns used in peacetime-- things get more complicated during war. The best story I ever heard about the use of callsigns to win was a Gulf War story...apparently, during DESERT SHIELD (pre-war), we were bestowed KC-135s and KC-10 sorties with callsigns that were the names of oil companies (Citgo XX, Sunoco XX, Mobil XX, Gulf XX, etc.). At the same time, for fighter units, we were using callsigns like "Jaguar XX", "Python XX", "Tiger XX". The Iraqis decided to take advantage of this when DESERT STORM kicked off, and go after our tankers....Unfortunately for them, we swapped callsigns with the beginning of the war! Don't know if the story is true, but it sounds like something we'd do to win (back then the US had a policy of winning wars it was engaged in...).

Ah well, just my .02 cents.

Kent
    I'm not sure I'd agree DS 1 was an example of US war-winning policy (given Saddam was left in power), much less that it was the last "well won" war - one could argue you'd have to go back to WWII for that, given the political hamstringing that charachterized Korea and Viet Nam ... but I digress.

I think you're confusing callsign (aka "ATC Airline=" in the flightsim.# section) with ATC type (in the "GENERAL" section). All Rich was saying is that when you're checking in with the AI ATC, making the edits he's making, the call will go " 'XYZ Callsign' aircraft is type Crusader" - as opposed to the "Experimental" label FSX gives as the aircraft type.

Yes, I agree, better tactical callsigns are ideal, and can be created using Editvoicepack. I've never bothered, and instead used a simple "ATC AIRLINE=MARINE" or "ATC AIRLINE=NAVY", "ATC AIRLINE=AIRFORCE", plus a few of my favourite airlines for civie flying, which actually are "voiced in" properly. Eg: "ATC AIRLINE=SWISSAIR", "ATC AIRLINE=AIR FRANCE", "ATC AIRLINE=Iberia" works, as does, "ATC AIRLINE=SPEEDBIRD" for BA, etc. All those, in the AI ATC, will sound as "MARINE ###," NAVY ###", "SWISSAIR ###", "IBERIA ###", SPEEDBIRD ###", etc.

Hope that helps - cool that there are so many Cru fans out there ...

DL

I just re-discovered the RAZBAM A-7...

....got the single and dual seater. I hope Ron does the F-8 someday...I love the MiG master!

Kent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    ....got the single and dual seater. I hope Ron does the F-8 someday...I love the MiG master!

Kent
    Yes, that A-7 family is nice all right.

Now you do know, that Sylvain, from RFN, is doing the F-8 in the coming months, right?? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...t-Crusader-FSX

If you haven't tried the Dassault Etendard they released a year or so ago, you're really missing out. Its to the French Aeronavale what Dino C's F-14D is to the USN for FSX - in terms of quality (I think even higher) - and freeware. Their (RFN's) Foch and Clemenceau are (to me) the par excellence of post-war FSX freeware carriers - easily the equal of the payware CVN-65 in terms of quality (on which Sylvain contributed) - and again, freeware. Just a headsup ...

dl

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, that A-7 family is nice all right.

Now you do know, that Sylvain, from RFN, is doing the F-8 in the coming months, right?? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...t-Crusader-FSX

If you haven't tried the Dassault Etendard they released a year or so ago, you're really missing out. Its to the French Aeronavale what Dino C's F-14D is to the USN for FSX - in terms of quality (I think even higher) - and freeware. Their (RFN's) Foch and Clemenceau are (to me) the par excellence of post-war FSX freeware carriers - easily the equal of the payware CVN-65 in terms of quality (on which Sylvain contributed) - and again, freeware. Just a headsup ...

dl
    appreciate a link to the Dassault Etendard you mentioned.

Grazie mille!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by richoday View Post
    appreciate a link to the Dassault Etendard you mentioned.

Grazie mille!

That's Italian, mate! But Dino deserves lots of kudos in own right for his F-14 and T-45, so no harm done ...

Here are the Etendards, the boats, and some awesome gauges. The Tacan gauges are nice, since they integrate into most of the main carriers out there, enabling you to find and navigate to them from up to around 100 nm or so away. You have to retrofit the gauges to those aircraft you want to use for carrier ops - but it takes just a few minutes apiece, and it's well worth it.

http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/RFN-Creations.htm

Enjoy!!!

DL

Banned
    Blog Entries

My attempt at F-8 Ab improvements

Thanks to Delta_Lima for his coaching assistance that allowed me to make adjustments to what I hope is better looking AB effects for the F-8 Crusader.
    I borrowed from the AS Avro CF-105 and this is the results. I kind of like it so far.

Attachment 83283
    Attachment 83284

Now that looks a whole lot better Rich!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Now that looks a whole lot better Rich!
    Why thank you Ted,

Coming from an talented FSX artisan such as yourself, that is a real compliment!!! :salute: I couldn't get the bright orange disk thingy so I just settled on the way it looks now.
    Thanks for your inputs too. When I was a young lad of 19 ~ I didn't remember seeing that much "ball o fire" when they went to AB like Alpha Sim portrays.
    If you have the AS Avro CF-105 FSX (Freeware) you can borrow its AB effects and change the lights section in the AS F-8 thusly:

[lights]
    light.1 = 6, -15.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_CF105_exh
    light.2 = 9, -15.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_Alpha_CF105_AB
    light.3 = 7, -15.00, 0.00, 0.10, fx_ALPHA_CF105_Vapour
    //light.4 = 7, -11.46, 17.55, 1.33, fx_ALPHA_CF105_Vapour

Freeware AS CF-105 FSX here: http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php

I may change the names of the CF105 effects to unique name for the F-8 (that way if I delete the CF-105 the effects won't "disappear".
    Just trying to think ahead eh?

Blog Entries
    Why thank you Ted,

I may change the names of the CF105 effects to unique name for the F-8 (that way if I delete the CF-105 the effects won't "disappear".
    Just trying to think ahead eh?

No need. What makes the effect show up is that you've placed the CF-105 effect in the effect folder under the root of FSX - and called it in the aircraft in question, and has no bearing on which other aircraft also may or may not employ the effect. Indeed, if you change the effect name in the aircraft.cfg, but don't rename the effect itself in the effects folder, you've lost the association and no effect will show. So no need to whatsoever.

PS - your edits look great!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No need. What makes the effect show up is that you've placed the CF-105 effect in the effect folder under the root of FSX - and called it in the aircraft in question, and has no bearing on which other aircraft also may or may not employ the effect. Indeed, if you change the effect name in the aircraft.cfg, but don't rename the effect itself in the effects folder, you've lost the association and no effect will show. So no need to whatsoever.

PS - your edits look great!
    I guess I should of made mention in last post; I additionally intend to rename the actual effect file that is located in my effects folder to match the name that I use in the Aircraft.cfg file,
    Other wise,... I would only have half a loaf.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That's Italian, mate! But Dino deserves lots of kudos in own right for his F-14 and T-45, so no harm done ...

Here are the Etendards, the boats, and some awesome gauges. The Tacan gauges are nice, since they integrate into most of the main carriers out there, enabling you to find and navigate to them from up to around 100 nm or so away. You have to retrofit the gauges to those aircraft you want to use for carrier ops - but it takes just a few minutes apiece, and it's well worth it.

http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/RFN-Creations.htm

Enjoy!!!

DL
    Thanks for the link...there are butt tons of nice aircraft over there!!!

Just posting this pic for whatever it's worth, for color accuracy of an afterburner effect. VFP-63 Det 3 RF-8G aboard USS Midway (CV-41), 1971. At night the flame was very bright and really lit up the flight deck around the cat. The "orange" is more of a pink-yellow. I never saw any circumstances where the A/B flame on a F-8 had that blue tint like a gas flame.

Flame on!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Flame on!!!

Wow!! I'll get the marshmellows !!!!! hoooo weeee !!!!!! I remember on the flight deck ( USS Hancock), the faint smell of burning blast deflector when F-8's launched in full burner....
    Some times it got so hot, the blue shirts would douse the blast deflector with buckets of water.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Just posting this pic for whatever it's worth, for color accuracy of an afterburner effect. VFP-63 Det 3 RF-8G aboard USS Midway (CV-41), 1971. At night the flame was very bright and really lit up the flight deck around the cat. The "orange" is more of a pink-yellow. I never saw any circumstances where the A/B flame on a F-8 had that blue tint like a gas flame.
    Thanks Tarps!

I just posted a blue set to give Rich a quck and dirty alternative to my erstwhile preferred set - the orangish yellow F-105 effect - which he doesn't own, and since at that time, I didn't know which other aircraft he had. Now, I'd say Rich's yellow CF-105 effect choice may be the one to beat indeed!

I think I'll drop that effect into the Rollus F-8 ...

DL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Flame on!!!

Just out of curiosity, who's F-104 did you use?

Just out of curiosity, who's F-104 did you use?
    Alpha of course!

Real deal...

Attachment 83303

Patch

Attachment 83304

Good looking AB effect, TF. The AS model in all these screenies just looks so accurate compared with the real aircraft.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Attachment 83415

Attachment 83416
    Attachment 83417

Waiting for the next Best things for our Crusaders, the USS Oriskany and some of her Crusader squadrons repaints

Blog Entries
    Nice screens!

Though if you're after realism, you'll want to disable the HUD - not present on the Crusader.

Yes, when Gary's 27C boat comes out, it'll be sweet!

DL

Members who have read this thread: 6