Mystery Special

Thread: Mystery Special

Mystery Special

This is a mystery even to the good old boys at Air Britain (who know a thing or three about aeroplanes), so there will be much kudos for anyone who can i/d it.

As you can see from the background, it's in Moscow, so likely to be a Russian/East European type. Any ideas?

Attachment 82539
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

No idea Ralf. Hopefully someone will come along who does.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

First obvious comment, Ralf, is that it doesn't appear to have any form of propulsion - the nose seems to be faired over. And the undercarriage looks very flimsy.

Er...yes! These are just lying about in a sort of run-down 'Museum' that doesn't have proper security, so the exhibits have been vandalised, grafittied and even destroyed by arson in the case of one tragic Il-14. Mystery seems to be balanced on a sort of wooden base? Presumably the engine has gone, along with the prop. Was there once some sort of exhaust coming out of the 3 holes in front? I thought the tail had a vaguely Stearman look to it. But maybe it's a home-built one off?

I'm relying on you, Lefty!
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

I can't help but I'm interested...

Do I spot seriously oversize flaps? They seem massive for such a light looking plane. Also, I find the windows vaguely reminiscent of a PZL creation.
    Maybe a prototype...:ques:

Cheers,

Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf Roggeveen View Post
    I'm relying on you, Lefty!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ralf !

But Wout is the man for this, surely........? There is not much in the way of postwar flying machines that he hasn't I/D'd.

I found this in Janes 81-2. Built by the Kuybyshev Polytechnic, it is a much smaller machine than this mystery.

However, the one salient feature mentioned is the 'almost full-span auxiliary aerofoil ailerons.'

Which is exactly what this machine has. Plus a single-strut high wing.

Coincidence ? Maybe, but food for thought.

SOH-CM-2020
    The first pic has a vague look of a Dornier Do 27 ..... sort of.

Pete.

"auxiliary aerofoil ailerons" - Ah, OK, that's what they are. Bit like on the Ju-52?

Here's a pic to show what I meant about the PZL look. It is a PZL-105.
    There was a drawing-board design called the PZL 108 which seems to have looked a bit like the mystery plane.

I see where you are coming from, Owen. Also the positioning of the (missing) horizontal tail surfaces would be similar. Can't get any further with this.

Found another picture. What about the paintwork? It's still in its primer coat, isn't it? Looks like it was never painted.

There was a prototype PZL Wilga fitted with "special ailerons" - couldn't find any pics.

Here it is with a prop fitted. Windshield is not broken yet either.

Looks like remnants of red paint under the left wingtip...

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Definitely looks like a Wilga, except the Wilga is a much larger aircraft than it appears to be in photos. This seems much smaller. I've tried to find a photo of the original Wilga Mark 1 which was much different from the production version but no success. This Mark 1 didn't have the upward opening doors though and the aircraft in the photos looks like it does have those.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

You just have to ask, Ferry......

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Thanks Mike!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Some good detective work, Gentlemen. It is almost certainly a one off prototype. Russian or East European, so it could even be by Wilga. The clearer photos show that it's on a rickety road trailer, whatever undercarriage it might have once had is long gone. And it may never have had a paintscheme at all, since that buff colour does indeed look like just a primer. Awful to see it getting more & more vandalised too...

If anyone can get a definite fix on it, perhaps we'll send this thread to Air Britain as a link? :salute:
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander