FR P-40N: -1-CU... A Few More Screenshots

Thread: FR P-40N: -1-CU... A Few More Screenshots

FR P-40N: -1-CU... A Few More Screenshots

The P40N-1-CU 'traditional canopy' version is about done, and so I thought I'd share some screenshots (including some N-1-CU VC with later canopy, as they were around, too). A lot more work than estimated! And still some to go. For example, no reflections in the windows yet, but they'll be there.

The emergency panel mechanism on the left side of the canopy works, and so you'll have another way out of the cockpit in case things get rough. Gun system is up and running, too. N-1-CU's appear to have painted seats, as opposed to earlier models which were left unpainted. According to the drawings, there were actually wood, stainless steel and aluminum seats available for the N-1-CU, but as I've only seen the type in the screenshots, that's what's in there.

Mike

Mike, just when I think things couldn't possibly look better, they do. Fantastic images. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Very,very nice!
    Michael

Nice! Looking forward to it.
    Greenhouse357

:salute:
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

Brilliant work Mike!
    Didn't the n-1 series have the larger wheels and tires from the earlier P-40series? They looked very similiar to the P-40M, the only way to tell the difference was the serial number.
    The resident P-40N-1 Currawong here in NZ has the larger diameter tires and wheels.
    Mark

That looks great. I like the way the N looks with the original canopy style. Nice work.

These images are forbidden by the Geneva convention! This is mass torture!

Great images Mike. I'm all itchy to get it.

Cheers, :ernae:
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Brilliant work Mike!
    Didn't the n-1 series have the larger wheels and tires from the earlier P-40series? They looked very similiar to the P-40M, the only way to tell the difference was the serial number.
    The resident P-40N-1 Currawong here in NZ has the larger diameter tires and wheels.
    Hi Mark,

You may be right, I'll look into this. Just looked at the serial numbers versus equipment lists, and up to a certain serial number the older larger 30" wheels are indicated - even though that goes in the face of the origins of the N model trying to be as light as possible (two guns removed, no on-board battery or starter, no gyro instruments, etc.). I've also have photos here of some aircraft that, according to the serial number, supposedly should have the larger wheels but actually have the smaller, so reality may have been somewhat different than the documention. But I don't mind doing larger wheels if necessary.Thanks for pointing it out.

Mike

mmmm, looking better and better...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Perfect!

Looking dang delicious , in Wigram this morning photoing another aircraft insides but i think a photo real paint would really suit this one since now i brought myself a new camera , the variant is a E-1-CU tho . <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Now that's what I'm looking for! It's not an "E" variant but the traditional canopy comes close enough. She's looking beautiful Mike. Waiting to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by c87 View Post
    Now that's what I'm looking for! It's not an "E" variant but the traditional canopy comes close enough. She's looking beautiful Mike. Waiting to buy.
    If all goes well with the N, other variants (including the E, F, K and L) should be along before too long (depending on how much real life gets in the way, as ever!).

Mike

Like the sound of that Mike , think all these variants will really hit a nerve with all WWII plane nutters .... SWEET <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Update: Thanks to a quiet Sunday evening, there are now 30" wheels to match the serial number of the aircraft (2104829 onwards officially had the smaller 27" wheels). It also gave me a chance to put photo-real wheel cover screws from the P-40N-1 based in Gatineau that I was lucky enough to spend some time with in December. Unfortunately, the screws are almost invisible on the model, but they're there!

This is great Mike!

Thanks for doing things in such detail and thanks also for sharing your information - it makes for an interesting read!

Owen.

Arr .. to get so close .... its going to be little hottie this one and is going to be interesting to see the many painters results ... think Mike , forget the pre-planing for the other models ... prity sure its much a go from the followers <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">