Rebuilding in Gmax with 'Modelconvertorx'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding in Gmax with 'Modelconvertorx'

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries

Rebuilding in Gmax with 'Modelconvertorx'

The method that Allen used in tweaking the Aerocrate KI 30 would be a Godsend for an whole raft of 'Framehog' models if permission could be obtained from the original fabricators. Perhaps a blitz effort should be done to obtain an across-the-board OK's to do LODs (multi-res), possible texture tweaks Y si Maxstuka, perhaps even breaking parts ( which I hope you all have noticed, are very nice on the Ann, some of the best I've seen.)
    Perhaps we should start a list of possible candidates for a tweak, there are a crapload. It would also remove one of the major problems with conversions

I'll start
    AlphaSim B-17D & others (Might be already OK'ed in the readme)
    Most of Payakan's stuff
    Most MVG stuff
    Most of Baldy's stuff ( Yes Mike, nagging again :salute
    The Ki-48 Lily by ?

Of course, I would be willing to make the effort of learning the procedure (if possible) to lend a hand.

I can lend a hand to any as well.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    It would definitely fall to people like yourself with the necessary knowledge at the start. Hopefully dolts like myself could possibly come up with the skills to join in over time. I could see this becoming a major but most desirable project. I suppose the first priority is to come with the proper permissions. In my experience, most model makers are usually more than cooperative in this sort of matter.

hmmm ???? I have had no luck opening mdl's with modelconvertx. always comes back "non-supported file" .have only been able to open the rare fsc source files.

Sound like your using a older Model Converter X. Update to 1.30 than report back

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/dow...?do=file&id=83

Members +
    Blog Entries
    The MDLXs wont convert CFS2 files. You have to go in with a hex editorfirst and pull the SCASM code, them the MDL/MDLX will read the file. Then it would have to be converted back. I'm not totaly sure if the process would be applicable to CFS2, but it doesn't cost anything to try!

Attachment 81892

Model Converter X 1.30 will import stock CFS2 aircraft and ships just fine (old 3rd party FS98 and CFS1 as well but not stock MS CFS1 aircraft). Stock MS 2000 and models made using the gMax FS2002 export plugin.

Models made in gMax that used the gMax FS2004 export plugin have to be made into a .BGL by use of MDLC. A convert to SCASM should work for gMax FS2004 as well.

How to import to gMax
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/inde...t_it_into_GMax

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Quote Originally Posted by oldwheat View Post
    The method that Allen used in tweaking the Aerocrate KI 30 would be a Godsend for an whole raft of 'Framehog' models if permission could be obtained from the original fabricators. Perhaps a blitz effort should be done to obtain an across-the-board OK's to do LODs (multi-res), possible texture tweaks Y si Maxstuka, perhaps even breaking parts ( which I hope you all have noticed, are very nice on the Ann, some of the best I've seen.)
    Perhaps we should start a list of possible candidates for a tweak, there are a crapload. It would also remove one of the major problems with conversions

I'll start
    AlphaSim B-17D & others (Might be already OK'ed in the readme)
    Most of Payakan's stuff
    Most MVG stuff
    Most of Baldy's stuff ( Yes Mike, nagging again :salute
    The Ki-48 Lily by ?

Of course, I would be willing to make the effort of learning the procedure (if possible) to lend a hand.

....mmmmm....could we add Clawson's SB2U-3 Vindicator to the list as well?......

Cheers!
    KH
    :ernae:
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Clawson's SB2U-3 Vindicator... I looked at 1 of the may of them. The fact that there are a number of them makes things hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Clawson's SB2U-3 Vindicator... I looked at 1 of the may of them. The fact that there are a number of them makes things hard.
    Ok Allen,

I am working on the one you can find here at SOH, beta converted a while ago by The Virtual Navy. I would not take into consideration earlier conversions (for ex.: Simviation's) because this one has folding wings, working arrestor hook, detailed engine and separated propeller disc texture.

Go to the CFS2 addon lib, "CFS2 Aircraft - American" section and change the display sort from "Hits Overall" to "Date Created (ascending)". It's the 14th download down or:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=52&id=6387

There are two models in the pack with two different texture mappings, a prewar and a Midway model, but the two models appear to be working exactly in the same way.

I am currently working on the prewar version, because it takes TARPSbird's Midway historical Marine Scout #6 aircraft skin with only a minor adjustment to the tailplane texture. This is the aircraft I posted pictures of in the thread I dedicated to it here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...n-update/page2

If the so-called "Midway version" of this pack can be repainted with an historical skin (beyond my skills), it's fine with me as whatever I am doing will fit both models just fine.

BTW.: I am almost done with the gauge-controlled exhaust effect and, after it, I'll try giving to the model historic unprotected fuel tanks according to Bearcat's instructions. Then there's nothing else I can do and I will post what I did.

Cheers!
    KH

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    Probably ought to get Paul Clawsons OK for this which I am 99% sure he will give, judging from past experience. I just double checked the Alphasim freeware readme's & it appears that as long as you don't sell it & include a copy of the original readme, adding LODs & possibly breaking parts to their freeware would be kosher. That would free up a whole bunch of candidates ( like the B-17D )

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    Paul Clawson has given permission to overhaul any of his models. The only stipulation he makes is that a copy of his original his original 'read me' be included with any uploads. Thanks a bunch Paul!!

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    My first three requests for updating would be: (not counting the Vindicator of course)

Alphasim Lysander = multi-res & breaking parts

Alphasim B-17D = ditto.....

Paul Clawsons Grumman FF-1 / G-23 = multi-res (?) ,breaking parts & de-mirror tail surfaces.
    ( This one gets pretty good FRs but the bracing wires look kinda tacky in the distance. The Delfin could get some
    good use in SCW missions.)

If we could get a group together this would go rather fast. how are the air cfg and DP files. do they need any work?
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure.

You can work on the SB2U .air file. I have to do DP since I have the model to fix all of the boxes.

Icon5 My contribution

You can work on the SB2U .air file. I have to do DP since I have the model to fix all of the boxes.
    Hi Allen,

If it's possible to have a separate prop texture file in Alpha's earlier models, which include all three B-17's (D, E/F, G), I can provide alternative blurred textures and I can also update the payloads with whatever weapon library looks best.

In some models I can also add gauge-controlled exhaust effects.

Since you have to work on the SB2U dp file, can you add the missing wing tanks boxes, according to Bearcat's instructions, which will turn them into the historical more vulnerable, unprotected fuel tanks the Vindicator was equipped with? I am doing it, but I am not sure of the results since I am getting some bizarre plane behaviours here.

Cheers!
    KH

Right now I'm only working on the SB2U. I don't have the Alpha 17s but it is do-able. I use the stock CFS2 style prop as Model Con X dosn't normaly give me props at all when I import to Model Con X or only give the the prop used before you start the engine.

DP should be fine. I'll look at the one with the SB2U or I'll use the Stock A6M2 Zero as base and start over.

.... I'll use the Stock A6M2 Zero as base and start over.

That's exactly what Bearcat suggested!

Cheers!
    KH :ernae:

The MDLXs wont convert CFS2 files. You have to go in with a hex editorfirst and pull the SCASM code, them the MDL/MDLX will read the file. Then it would have to be converted back. I'm not totaly sure if the process would be applicable to CFS2, but it doesn't cost anything to try!

Attachment 81892
    Is this link still around? Even with mdlx 1.3 some planes wont import. I was able to hex edit in the past but I no longer have the instructions.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    Is this link still around? Even with mdlx 1.3 some planes wont import. I was able to hex edit in the past but I no longer have the instructions.

Steve
    There is an update to McX. Its a little more memory demanding then 130 but may open more MDL types.
    http://www.scenerydesign.org/latest-...nt_release.zip

you can try that.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Have you tried to convert the model to BGL or SCA using MDLC?

What do you have to do to do that Allen?

There is an update to McX. Its a little more memory demanding then 130 but may open more MDL types.
    http://www.scenerydesign.org/latest-...nt_release.zip
    Derp! second time in the same thread that updating mdlcx has worked for me. thanx

Have you tried to convert the model to BGL or SCA using MDLC?
    no, I think I may have had a problem running that program on my system. all set for now anyway.

thanks again guys,
    Steve

Members who have read this thread: 1