AirEd problem

Thread: AirEd problem

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries

AirEd problem

All of a sudden I can't get AirED to run properly on my PC. It's been kinda wonky for a while now but presently it loads up minimized & won't open up properly. I tried a new installation but no joy. Do you suppose that it could be conflicting with another program?

Create an Air Ed desktop icon if you do not have one. Right click it. Select 'Properties'. Select 'Shortcut'. Within the 'Run' box select 'Normal Window'. Click OK.
    Run Air Ed. Position and size the window where you want it to open by default. Close it with the X.

It should then behave normally when run later. If that does not work re-install Air Ed.

FSAviator.

Some times AirEdit will start vary minimized. Move your mouse over it slowly and you mouse pointer will change to this or than drag it back to normal size.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Some times AirEdit will start vary minimized. Move your mouse over it slowly and you mouse pointer will change to this or than drag it back to normal size.
    Yes, I (re) discovered this after I had posted. Then I remembered doing the same thing a while back.

Old Program

Air ed is an 'old' program. It is not 'modern' enough to put itself into the registry (which then give it abilit to be opened with 'dbl-click' and which then gives you ability to set 'opens with' association). You are lucky it doesn't require you to run it in 'compatability' mode for Win 98/Win Me. I never double click to open it. I right click and then ck 'Open', then go to upper left corner and use cursor to expand it to half-screen size. Then I go File/Open and browse to where the air file is located. Always tried other 'ways' but nothing works. So I just 'go with the flow'. As long as it works I can't gripe. It's OLD (and tired, like me). Don't hassle me (hehe). I believe that what FSAviator says might make it 'work' better (ie: open after dbl-click in what ever state you last had it before closing it with click of 'X'). Makes sense to me.

As far as conflicting with other program(s) there IS one. It's due to Adobe Reader taking over '*.air' file extension. That prevents you from dbl-clicking to open AirEd. Dbl-click opens a Adobe Reader file, not AirEd. The Adobe Reader registers the '*.air' file extension for it's OWN use and takes away AirEd's ability to be opened with dbl-click. Since dbl-click of AirEd produces an error ('*.air file is corrupt' (which it isn't it just looks that way to AdobeReader) it confuses and fraustrates us simmer that need to edit air files. This is why I use FoxIt Reader instead of Adobe Reader. FoxIt reader is free. Google it. The the AirEd program won't have any conflicts. No one (even Opa) ever found a solution to all this, so there you go. That's life-what you see is what you get-you can't have everything-el cid-etc, etc.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    [SIGPIC]i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz, Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, Sapphire Ati Radeon HD-5700 1 Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows XP SP2, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse[/SIGPIC]

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Quote Originally Posted by napamule View Post
    ....As far as conflicting with other program(s) there IS one. It's due to Adobe Reader taking over '*.air' file extension.....

Yep! That's why I never allow any program to do an automatic self-install but I always select "Custom Install" to prevent ANY filename extension takeover, otherwise known as "file association".

There are other programs creating such havocs as, for example, any graphic display (IrfanView), compression utilities (WinZip, WinRAR, 7zip), media players and even CFS2 programs may do it. A while ago I hit the wrong button in my CFGEdit, which is a freeware CFS2 2d panel building utility, and all of my *.cfg files were associated to it!

Considering a *.cfg file can be also a Windows system file, I had a nice headache on my lap and the problem was only cleared when I re-formatted my HDD and re-installed Windows. Re-assigning those filename extensions through the Windows File Property utility did not work at all.

HDD format and OS re-install took also care of CFS2 addon utilities running erratically, like AirEd since, yes, I had the same occurence with my AirEd a while ago. Even CFS2 re-installed afterwards ran beautifully!

Never allow an automatic self-install if you can!

Cheers!
    KH
    :ernae:
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart