ELCO PTboat, pilotable, FREE - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ELCO PTboat, pilotable, FREE

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Hi Bob.. I'm pulling this quote over from www.pt-boat.com.. it may help to clarify the confusion a bit about rpm..

"The Packard 4M 2500 engine powered most, if not all, of the US built PT Boats. The pre and early world war II engines developed some 1200 brake horse power, this had been increased to 1350 BHP and then by the end of the war 1500 BHP, therefore a late war Elco 80' PT had three engines producing a total of 4,500 brake horse power and could guzzle 5000 gallons of 100 octane aviation fuel in one night of operations. The cruising speed of the Packard was stated as 2400 rpm but note that the Elco "dashboard" tachometers show a top speed of 3000 rpm"

Now note.. Cruising speed is 2400 rpm. That'll get ya a few hundred miles.. Flank speed was up to 3000 rpm. Our boat goes a tiny bit faster to overcome the effects of being seen as a pontoon by fsx..
    As for the rated max RPM in the config file. my bad.. i'm sorry.. it should be 3000 rpm..
    Thanks. If you put your mouse cursor over either RPM gauge the tooltips will show you the actual RPM. What I see is that after even idling at 0% throttle, for a while, the RPM gauge will max out and the tooltips say the RPM is way over 3,500 RPM. I have tried other RPM gauges and they all read RPM's well over 3,500. I don't know why this occurs. Do you see the same thing? Regards, Bob.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Nice! That 2D fits the bill just nicely. I'm just going to sit back now and let everyone run with it! When I get the rest of the package ready, can we pull all these bits together as a SOH group love project? I was originaly just going ahead on this out of purely selfish reasons- the best kind- wanted to try out Pams steaming FDE because of the way the deltasim boat looked in the water with her FDE's in. What a contrast in communities between here and say FS.com forums(whingeing and demands for other people to do stuff for you, threadlocking ect ect) Brings a tear to my eye
    So, if all of this works out as hoped for, the end product should be a pilotable package of 3 ELCO boats, A Higgins boat, releaseable object weapons and effects , jumping up the time line, a OSA I missile boat, a 123 ft USCGS WPB cutter for CG76, and if I can figure out the dynamics for a Hydrofoil, a Pegasus PHM. Just like topsy, it kinda growed.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    A very rudimentary 2D simply drawn over top the original:
    Looks great. I see that both RPM gauges are maxed out at 3,500 RPM and both fuel gauges are at 0. That's what I have found also. Put your mouse pointer over the RPM gauges you will see that the RPM's are way over 3,500 even at 0% throttle after a period of time. I don't understand why this is. Bob.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by familton View Post
    Thanks. If you put your mouse cursor over either RPM gauge the tooltips will show you the actual RPM. What I see is that after even idling at 0% throttle, for a while, the RPM gauge will max out and the tooltips say the RPM is way over 3,500 RPM. I have tried other RPM gauges and they all read RPM's well over 3,500. I don't know why this occurs. Do you see the same thing? Regards, Bob.
    Yup, i do see it, only I see it in AFSD. I havent figured it out yet either.. its a piston engine, using a direct drive to the propeller. the rpm and propeller should bith be turning 3000 rpm but yeah, its quite a bit higher.. I'm looking deeper into it with two other fde's currently, and once i get it figured out, i'll be issuing an update for all three boats..

Great looking works in progress to all involved. I just have a question though, aren't the boats riding a bit high on the water? It seems as though the weight properties might be a bit skewed or is that a byproduct of an FSXism? Just curious...
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Great looking works in progress to all involved. I just have a question though, aren't the boats riding a bit high on the water? It seems as though the weight properties might be a bit skewed or is that a byproduct of an FSXism? Just curious...
    Wellll, it IS a byproduct of fsx its true, but i'm taking advantage of it.. our boats actually ride a little low..

Attachment 81592

Notice this boats wake doesnt start till the chart house.. ours starts a little in front of that.. it could be that our stern is lower in the water, and that could be a contacts issue. Something for me to look at certainly..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Wellll, it IS a byproduct of fsx its true, but i'm taking advantage of it.. our boats actually ride a little low..

Attachment 81592

Notice this boats wake doesnt start till the chart house.. ours starts a little in front of that.. it could be that our stern is lower in the water, and that could be a contacts issue. Something for me to look at certainly..
    Pam, it's absolutely the fanatic attention to detail that I love about the simmers here. That attention to making it right, as lifelike as possible, that truly keeps me in awe of not only the tweaked fde's you've done, but the paints from Skyhawk, Jankees, zsoltquack and others as well. Not to mention the detail put into all the scenery, aircraft and effects. So, thank you all for making this hobby so enjoyable.

just saying....
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Blog Entries
    Thanks stryker.. that does mean a lot to me..
    On another off topic note. i just noticed the whip antenna on the lead boat in that pic. Damn that would look nice on my jeep :;lol:; I dont even have a radio but it would still look sharp..

Seriously though. Yeahh, its a sim.. how many of us first bought a so called simulator back in the nineties hoping to get anything that felt like flying the real thing?? its been year after year of letdowns and frustrations since then. Even flight simulator left a hollow pit where expectations and hopes died a rapid and painful death.. I figure i'm not alone. If it doesnt feel real, it doesnt feel real. You could download a copy of fighting falcon and get the same feeling.. And i know it'll never be truly real, but still, if i work hard enough, do a little better each time, maybe for someone else, it "will" be real, if only for a moment..

This is just SUCH a hoot! Thanks for a great addon!!

What are folk using for engine sounds?
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Oh wow!

Found a sound set by Gary Jones for twin merlins. Think it was at Avsim.
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970

Oooops!
    A whole new meaning to seasick...

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Hey! I think you're onto a new competition sport- Hydrobatics!

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    ....Do let us know if a complex repaint is possible.
    It appears, as you rightly note above, that most of the craft is textured with swatches of color; so far I can't figure out how a "complex" repaint might be possible. HOWEVER: I have discovered that it IS possible to exercise a degree of artistic (?) license with the life raft on the foredeck - this can be any color you want (although I doubt anyone - including me - would want this one).

cs

Sorry I'm late to the party. I made a PT-165 class boat for the original Solomon Islands Boat AI Package and it seems someone made it into a driveable one here:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....ght&fid=164859

It has a dazzle repaint available (not of my doing). If anyone wants the source files to continue development, just say the word.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Jim. I would love them.. Admittedly i'm kinda still learning the basics but yes, i would love to use that as a learning tool..
    Pam

All this baby needs is a driver. . .any chance that might be added later?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougal95 View Post
    Oooops!
    A whole new meaning to seasick...

Yeehaaa!! Ride 'em cowboy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougal95 View Post
    Oh wow!
    Found a sound set by Gary Jones for twin merlins. Think it was at Avsim.
    Yep:
    twin_rr_merlin_sounds.zip

Downloading right now!

Current System Specs:

A question for Pam (I think). . .is there a way to incorporate a slight roll into the visual of the PT-Boat? Currently the boat sits flat in the water and even in tight turns remains flat, not many boats are designed that way. Or is that a design function that requires coding in order to function?:salute:

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    All this baby needs is a driver. . .any chance that might be added later?
    I could add one (like in one of versions of the LCM-3 I made), but it would mean to intrude the 3d model....

I've been down with a bad case of flu for the past week and am slowly catching up. Holy cow, what happend in this week! Great!
    I've got to download Pam's FDE now.

[edit:] I also tried to retexture the PT boat before, just for fun, but the fun went away fast. It would be extremely time consuming because the mesh is unstructured. The model is sparsely textured to begin with, the textures are mainly made of solid colors which also generate huge drawcall loads. Not easily redone, and intrusions of 3d models are a nono without the permission of the author, at least for me. Oh well.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Good to see you back here Mark, if anyone can do it you can. Love your LCM. It will be one of the featured water craft in Marianas 1945.

Keep getting well.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Just to annoy Pam, I picked up the Revell PT-109 last night. I'm thinking of painting it to look like a certain PT home ported in Thailand
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Blog Entries
    yup yup, i can add roll.. but you may not like it.. the boat only drew a couple feet of water, but then it had approximately ohhhh, a whole lotta weight ( yup my most exacting measurment of this time of the morning ), sitting a few feet up in the air, not to mention the weight of the rest of the boat above the cg also sticking up in the air. Soo, if you turned left, it rolls right. All ships do this. All except the LCSC which thinks its a motor cycle, and the littoral which thinks the sea is an ice rink it can just skid across. Oh wait.. the littoral isnt a ship. its a trimaran.. That explains that..

heheh.. these are precious..

Attachment 81709

Attachment 81710

Attachment 81711

and now for the oddballs..

The LCSC.

Attachment 81712

and the Littoral.

Attachment 81713

The littoral is definatelt the perfect old mans ship.. Sexy, spacious, wont spill his drink in a turn.. ::lol::;

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strikehawk View Post
    Just to annoy Pam, I picked up the Revell PT-109 last night. I'm thinking of painting it to look like a certain PT home ported in Thailand

:::LOL:: Awesome.. *I want p8icture.. tried working on my P-61 model last night, and ended up gluing my fingers together.. it was hopeless.. ::LOL::
    Went back to working on a schnellboat.. i'd been having problems with: watched john Wayne in Flying Tigers ( Gods what a schlokey piece of film ) and went to sleep watching "trinity and beyond" ::;lol::

You'll get your pics. I just have to work out a couple of issues with the 20mm mount and then I'll be starting it out. Going to fly in a bit, maybe in a the tilt wing.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Members who have read this thread: 1