Any testers for a sound gauge please?

Thread: Any testers for a sound gauge please?

Any testers for a sound gauge please?

Hello all

I've just been messing about with c sound gauges (mostly based on the Dai Griffiths example) to add some more flexibility to the aircraft I make (eg wind noise when the canopy is open) and was wondering if anyone would like to have a go at this test gauge to see if it works on anyone else's computer.

It involves a bit of panel.cfg file editing so if you're not familiar with that it would be best to give it a miss.

www.antsairplanes.com/downloads/AntsSoundGaugeTest.zip

The zipfile contains a full readme with installation instructions.

The gauge itself has eight buttons which you can press to start any of the eight FSX menu songs playing. Click again on the button to stop the song.

In addition, you use your fuel mixture control to adjust the volume. Full lean mixture will give max volume while full rich will give minimum volume (ie you can't hear it).

Whenever you start one of the songs the volume will be set based on your mixture lever position.

In addition, song 4 can have its volume adjusted during playback (the other songs will play at a constant volume once started). If you start song 4 and then wiggle your mixture lever you should be able to hear the volume changing. Very useful for controlling wind sounds based on airspeed. Note that the volume range is really only effective in the lower quarter of the mixture levers travel.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to give this a go.

Ant,
    Well, I get the gauge, but when I click it, no sounds. Unless it's on my end. I double checked installation, looks right.

JT
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Well, the same on my end here, gauge shows up, I can click the buttons and they show as marked. But no sound is playing.

Using FSX Acc. on Win 7 64, in normal DX9 mode. Had Accufeel running, turned it off to see if it interfered in any way, but no difference was noticed. Sound output was a Logitech G35 USB headset.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Thanks for the help guys. I may have to look into this some more.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I may have to look into this some more.
    Well if I look at the download size I think the sounds files are missing. The gauge clickspots etc work. 8 songs included would normally be a bit bigger download or not. why dont you use doug dawson's sound gauge like most developers use. It is tried and tested and work like a charm.. It is easy to setup (hardest part is to set up the XML sound gauge, but for someone like you it is easy) There are huge number of freeware examples around that are pretty neat.

some of the leaders in fsx development use it (naturally if for payware planes you need to work out something with doug. )

Sound files are included with FSX (so I haven't forgetten them, they are the eight FSX menu songs).

Also Doug Dawsons gauge does not do what I want.

I will be setting up another computer with a clean install of FSX soon and will continue my testing with that.

Thanks for all those who have tried this non working gauge.

Silly me,

I think I figured out the problem. When I compiled the C gauge I compiled it as a Debug version rather than the Release version. If you don't have a set of debug .dlls on your system (which you won't unless you've installed a C++ compiler) then the gauge wouldn't work.

Oh well, I've since edited that gauge (to get it working in the T28) so it no longer exists. Will have to wait for the beta version of the T28 to check the sound gauge again.

Members who have read this thread: 0