Is there a way

Thread: Is there a way

Is there a way

To convert an FS8 model to make it work in FS9? I have tried to and don't have a clue how. The model in question is stfalcn3.zip over at flightsim.com, is anyone willing to give it a shot please? It sure would be fun to have in my hangar. I'm sure others would like it as well. I thank you for your time and consideration. :salute:

Have you tried it to see if it works as-is? Maybe it doesn't need any changes.

Many FS8 3D models work just fine in FS9. The most common reason that some don't work has to do with animations on models that were made with older software, and the most common way they don't work is that their props are invisible - an issue that wouldn't affect a jet.

Less commonly, animations like flaps and landing gear might not work. If that's the case, you're out of luck, as the only "fix" would be to rebuild the model using more up to date software that's fully compatible with FS9.

If the 3D model works but the plane doesn't fly right, maybe the flight dynamics files need a tweak, since FS8 and FS9 handles flight models somewhat differently. In most cases the difference is negligible, at least to an amateur like me, but sometimes some updating is called for. You could make adjustments to the existing flight files, or adapt the flight model from an FS9 aircraft with similar performance and handling.

That was actually the first thing I tried and it was a no go. After trying several methods, I am posting my help request here. Thank you for the suggestion though. :salute: All that really matters to me is to have it show in FS9.

I downloaded this and looked at it. Looks to me like it was made with some early version of FSDS. I don't think there is any way to make it compatible with FS9. You will have to learn to use GMAX if you want one of your own. Or add it to the "What would you like to see" thread.

I took a look at it also and the MDL is definitely not going to work in FS9.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Hmmmm...I don't though....ha ha...

This is built with FSDS 1.6 and Aircraft Animator. It would be possible with scasm, but a hell of a lot of work for..??!!

Unfortunately this one is without any animations, U/C etc etc, and the tex mapping is not perfect, but knocked up in an hour or so.....

Cheers Shessi

To the best of my knowing... Anything built with FSDS 2.0 or higher should be compatable with FS9. There may be a few jinks here and there, but you should see animations like control surfaces and rolling wheels... etc. This is just from my experience trying to get FS8 models to work in FS9. I remember the FSD T-38 Talon for FS8. All that was needed to get that plane to work properly in FS9 was a glass texture mod.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 0