The Gee Bee Z is Out! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Gee Bee Z is Out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    The only concern that Kermit Weeks has had in flying his near-exact copy of the GeeBee Z, and a serious one at that, is aileron flutter, which is well believed to be the reason of the original's demise. He had some engineers look at it after the first flight or two he did with it, and found that the aircraft was prone to developing aileron flutter above 240 mph. When the original broke-up in flight, it had likely been going over 300 mph at the time. The plan at least at one time was to add a mass weight balance on the bottom of each aileron to prevent this and allow the aircraft to safely fly above 240 mph, but I believe the plan has since changed, and that when/if flying it again, the plan is just to stay under 240 mph with it. Weeks was also concerned about aileron flutter on his GeeBee R2 (former Delmar Benjamin), and had that one tested as well.
    Thanks for the detailed technical insight there Bomber_12th, thats' basically what I was alluding to in my earlier post.

ttfn

Pete

The only concern that Kermit Weeks has had in flying his near-exact copy of the GeeBee Z, and a serious one at that, is aileron flutter, which is well believed to be the reason of the original's demise. He had some engineers look at it after the first flight or two he did with it, and found that the aircraft was prone to developing aileron flutter above 240 mph. When the original broke-up in flight, it had likely been going over 300 mph at the time. The plan at least at one time was to add a mass weight balance on the bottom of each aileron to prevent this and allow the aircraft to safely fly above 240 mph, but I believe the plan has since changed, and that when/if flying it again, the plan is just to stay under 240 mph with it. Weeks was also concerned about aileron flutter on his GeeBee R2 (former Delmar Benjamin), and had that one tested as well.

As of last summer attention has been paid to Fantasy of Flight's GeeBee Z, with a number of engine runs and inspections to check that all is healthy and set to go, so that it will hopefully be flown again soon.

For a little technical addition - Kermit Weeks' replica has the exact same airframe design to the original, as that was the goal when it was produced. The replica that was used in the movie Rocketeer, built by Bill Turner in 1978, however, has a slightly larger wing and longer fuselage, to make it more forgiving. That airplane is on display at the Museum of Flight.
    I had always heard the reason for the famous crash of the GeeBee caught on film was that the new owner had an extra fuel tank installed to extend the range and it screwed up the C.M., obviously, by shifting it rearward, which would be a huge mistake in an aircraft that short as it would have massive implications for control volume. Though, I hardly see where there would be room for another fuel tank. Is that largely an urban myth to the best of your knowledge?

Joseph, I thought you might like the fact that Lee Oman (veteran Reno AT-6 pilot - "EROS" Race #69) is working on a GeeBee R1. As is mentioned on the Super Solution page, it would be fantastic to see him bring it to Reno and fly it around the pylons, even if just for show.

Thanks. The idea of a Golden-Era class is certainly neat to entertain. At least if just for demonstration.
    I think we need some other venues of air racing to arise in this country, personally.

I did get to witness Mr. Benjamin's R-2 replica race a Formula 1 at Reno, that was pretty nifty to see. I want to say it was more or less a demonstration race, and I think it was Nemesis.
    Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

I saw Benjamin and his R2 at Oshkosh. It was a great display.

Just took a look at the product screenshots. Outstanding!

Delmar Benjamin's R2 flew the air show circuits in the late 90's including Reno in 99. I saw him in Santa Rosa too, it was jaw dropping to see him shoot down the runway inverted.

Here is a youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hAIy8JWhrI
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

This plane is a beauty! I've flown it a few times and it is a great challange! If you fly it by the book, you can land it without any problems. I had a few mishaps on the first attempts, but now I understand the plane a little bit and I'm able to land it safely. If you stay focused, it is a joy to fly! Thanks Alabeo for such a wonderful plane!

Grts,
    F.L.

Quote Originally Posted by flying legend View Post
    This plane is a beauty! I've flown it a few times and it is a great challange! If you fly it by the book, you can land it without any problems. I had a few mishaps on the first attempts, but now I understand the plane a little bit and I'm able to land it safely. If you stay focused, it is a joy to fly! Thanks Alabeo for such a wonderful plane!

Grts,
    F.L.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADpfLN3cDzQ

without her bonnet...for the scale modelers out there...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Charter Member 2012

open cockpit hood ?

Hi

I´m just bought and install Alabeo´s GeeBee Z, What a wonderfull aircraft. But I´m not able to release the cockpit hood, used shift+E get a messenge cockpit open but nothing happen. Trying other keys as D,X and N.

Best Regard
    DennyBoy

Quote Originally Posted by DennyBoy View Post
    Hi

I´m just bought and install Alabeo´s GeeBee Z, What a wonderfull aircraft. But I´m not able to release the cockpit hood, used shift+E get a messenge cockpit open but nothing happen. Trying other keys as D,X and N.

Best Regard
    DennyBoy
    Press Shift+1 or Shift + 2, I don't recall which, but it's the way you call up different panels and you'll get the "choice" menu and you can select to open the cockpit and it will move the canopy enclosure off of the airplane and on to the tarmac/ground.

Charter Member 2012

Icon5 Gee Bee model Z

Tanks Sundog

Best Regard
    DennyBoy

Members who have read this thread: 0