The Gee Bee Z is Out! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Gee Bee Z is Out!

It's impossible to do a bad screenshot of this amazing airplane

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    It's impossible to do a bad screenshot of this amazing airplane
    But it's quite possible to do a beautiful one! Very nice shot. If it were larger and 16:9, it'd be my new desktop bg.

A gem....
    Anyway will have to wait....read about a stagger wing...a reasonable price, beautifull work as usual but there´s a crise on this side of the pond...

Quote Originally Posted by spotlope View Post
    But it's quite possible to do a beautiful one! Very nice shot. If it were larger and 16:9, it'd be my new desktop bg.
    That I can provide. I'll send a PM with the file.

d

Do they include an option for the original prop or just the one from the reproduction GeeBee ?

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    I got it last night and did some patterns and landings in it at Woodburn and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to crab it in nicely to keep visual of the runway, and she flattens well and drops in for smooth landings.

Nicely done, Alabeo.
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Lionheart, you had success flying a straight approach in a forward slip? What airspeed if I may ask? I didn't want to get to slow with crossed controls so flew curved approaches down to the runway rolling wings level just above the threshold. Seemed to work ok on the 1500m runway I was operating out of, but would prefer a stabilised approach lol!
    Live to fly, fly to live. Do or die, ACES HIGH!

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements
    General Aviation Flight Examiner
    Chief Flying Instructor for Auckland Aero Club

Stall speed is not increased by cross-controlling into a forward slip. You can safely slip down into a landing at just above normal stall speed. It does tend to pull your nose up, so you need to watch and maintain speed. Where you will get into danger is in a turn at landing speeds. As you bank, and increase your angle of attack and g-load, you increase stall speed. If you're also cross-controlled at this point, which you shouldn't be, but it happens as people misuse the rudder to align the plane with the runway, you're heading for a stall/spin at low level. Ouch. So, forward slipping into a landing at anything above stall speed is much safer than curving flight into a landing at landing speeds.

Affirm, however the increase in Vs at 30 degrees angle of bank is only about 7.5% so flying normal approach speeds or a touch faster is a non-issue, just have to expect a slightly prolonged flare lol! In a forward slip the only significant danger would probably be the potential for a wingdrop stall/incipient spin if airspeed were allowed to decay and an out of balance stall occurs..

Either way it's more about speed control on approach, I was just curious as to the techniques others are using :-)

CPL(A), Single Pilot Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, tail-wheel, aerobatic, formation
    Category A Flight Instructor with night, aerobatics, spinning, terrain awareness and basic mountain flying endorsements

SOH-CM-2014
    On my approaches, I came in at 120, crabbing it, then crossing the fence, low, I went flat, fixed on a cloud for heading, dropped throttle and held the nose up and she slowed down, but man, trying to stop that thing as its shooting down the grass runway was a bit tricky.

I think the hardest thing was taking off. She tries to barrel roll. Well, she doesnt try, she DOES it quite well. If you take off at 1/2+ throttle, dont pull the tail up, she will take off better on her own. Just hope that you have a cloud ahead/above that you can use for runway heading, lol...

What a ride. Much better then the Hughes H1B. Sadly, I really like the Hughes deep down, but flying it was too difficult and landing it was incredibly difficult. I can sport around in the GeeBee without being a palm sweating, stressed out mess, lol...

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Initial impressions;
    The materials, colors, shine, the whole visual package, is simply stunning. Overly-so, I mean, it's tight. Crispy-clean, and sleek...super slick.

Sounds; adequate. Good low RMP rumble, smooth transitions, not overly powerful.

Flight dynamics; well, as one can tell from reading the above threads, difficult. However, she steered very easily on the taxi. Not sure how the 'Z', or any of the models or replicas for that matter, would handle on the ground? I get the impression, probably like a nightmare. However, this aircraft will handle like a pup while you taxi out to the runway. Realistic? I don't think so, but convenient yes, and I wouldn't complain. I did manage to get off the ground, and land on the first flight. But boy does she have some red-zones... The wrong inputs either on the roll-out, or landing, can turn you upside down real quick. Once in the air, trimmed, and gaining speed...she's not too bad. Pretty stable, and very racy. The speeds seem to be coordinated with the real aircraft.

Other thoughts;
    Not sure what to say about the propeller control?
    No engine damage modelling, and no real fancy programming going on. Pretty straightforward, which isn't a bad thing, considering this is the bird you jump in, and go racing. Or for a joy ride. Not for total simulation!
    Seems to be a bit of a cross between the original 'Z', subsequent models, and modern replicas. All tied into one personal hot-rod.
    Absent paintkit thus far, but blank textures are included that can be used to derive some layers, and initialize some customization.

The PRICE IS RIGHT;
    Nobody should be on the fence with this one. For $20, it's a rare breed, and sure to be worth every penny in the simple enjoyment level. Sporty, classy, and lookin' good. Go grab this bird. and join us on the pylons!

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

SOH-CM-2014
    Much easier to land if you cheat and use interior 'rudder view', lol... You still need to jump inside and check our airspeed. But, much much more easier then being in the VC.

What a beauty.

Just dont use ailerons if you are nose up at slow speeds or you reverse bank and corkscrew the girl into the ground. Use rudder for roll and directional control when at slow speeds.

Cheers Lionheart, 120 - 100 seems to be ballpark for a nice approach, I had fun getting her stopped as well, doesn't wanna slow down! View wise I'm using TIR so just stretching my virtual neck up a bit gives me enough of a view between the cockpit frame and the leading edges to keep straight.*

* On a nice wide runway!!

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitehawk View Post
    * On a nice wide runway!!

Yes!!! lol... I might raise myself up on the seat (viewpoint) to improve visibility. I noticed I have some room to do that. I got a haircut, do not wear my leather cap, so that gives me another 1/4 inch to squeeze upwards into that plexiglass bubble.

:cost1:

...every little bit counts!...
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Amazing Shots!!

Patrick

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Phew... what a beauty!! Going to look great around those 30's Art Deco hangars!!! Mine in 2 weeks... made some purchases during the RTW.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2014
    Flew from NZQN to that airport on the south of South Island, NZ; Invercargon? Great trip. Using the new ORBX NZSI scenery.

Bill

Just got mine, Alabeo is doing it right! What a challenging, yet fun aircraft to fly! Mike :salute:

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Flew from NZQN to that airport on the south of South Island, NZ; Invercargon? Great trip. Using the new ORBX NZSI scenery.

Bill
    Nice run! I'm still just tootling around Ardmore (NZAR) getting used to the thing!

Attachment 81513

Cooling down after another unsuccessful attempt on my virtual life lol!

SOH-CM-2014
    I find that taking off is sort of like being on an Apollo launch of a rocket, though the rocket has more control then this when trying to accellerate down the runway, lol... The scariest 3 seconds.

'Aim at the edge of that cloud up there (cant see the runway). Aim, push the throttle in a bit, aim, adjust, more power, rolling, aim, wipe sweat away, aim, more throttle, 40% power now, oops, AIM YOU!! faster, faster, scarier, AIM! 65% power, my goodness, Im airborn! I did it!'

Ive really improved my landings. Loving this bird.

Members who have read this thread: 0