My retirement

Thread: My retirement

My retirement

Cheers everybody!

Going back to my childhood. Retiring from simming and going back to plastic and sniffing glue and humbrol fumes ....again. Airfix is the object for new oportunities+ hundeds of other kits in my stash.

Airfix nostalgia sailed trough my brain and hooked...Not great, but i'm 51 and have about 50 more years to improve my skills

I WILL be better

Cheers all :cost1:

enjoy!! :salute:
    FSX Miramar XO, RAZBAM Flying Club founder, Team member, crud crew, beta tester, and all around good guy!

Have a good time! I know I am. Currently working on the Hobby Boss 1/72 T-50 PAK-FA.

That new 1/48 Tu-2 Series out of China is incredible, one of the guys in my hobby club brought it to the meeting last night.

If you like 1/72, Meng has an excellent Me-410 out and there are some really nice 1/72 Hellcats released as well. The 1/72 Meteor is supposed to be a nice kit as well, I think it's a Dragon kit.

Just because you're getting out of simming, that doesn't mean you have to be a stranger. If you aren't going to show your work here, you can at least post your work at Hyperscale. Take care, be well, and have fun!

Henry, you're not the only one to return to childhood pastimes. I just picked up my X-acto and paintbrush after 8 years of modeling "retirement". I found this place here by accident but it's a nice community and the members are very supportive and helpful. One guy sent me a couple of decal sheets he had of markings that I needed to build up an HH-1K at no cost. I offered to pay him but I was told that it was fine and I could return the favor if I had something that he needed for a project. You might want to take a look, the sign up is free and the info timely.

http://www.scalemates.com/

The Stuka by the way brings back memories, I got that and the Airfix Il-28 Beagle for X-mas when I was about 10 years old and I still remember the Stuka being a lot bigger than I thought a single engine plane from WWII should have been. Might have to get another one to build, at least I don't get glue on the clear parts anymore.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    I honestly envy you, since you can retire! LMAO, as a matter of fact i have a couple of thousands $$$ worth of unbuilt models (which make quite a nice collection of boxes) gathered thru almost 15 yrs now! so far i´m looking at a 1/48 T-2 buckeye (i like the plane, c´mon), but who knows! i´m quite busy making 3d versions of them!
    Have fun dude

Giddyup!!

Best regards

Prowler

I have a closet full of plastic projects that I hope to get back to "someday". The thing about flight sim is that I can paint them and then store them as a pile of ones and zero's to be brought out and looked at once in a while. The finished plastic ones take up space. But I do miss being able to hold something in my hand and "fly" it around the room. I always found the research to be the fun part in both cases.

Enjoy the change and best of luck.
    :ernae:

this is the model/kit id like to build myself....back when i was real active building kits,mostly tamyia kits..i dreamed of the stuff (mostly softskins) they have out now...my dad bought me my first models when i was 5 or 6..i know this early age because i moved from the house i was born at..to where my family lives now in 1969,when i was 7yo,and id had a good little collection by the time we moved...my first were a small kit hat you could build one of three,,,a little hotrod pickup..hotrod roadster..and i think the third was a coupe...but i remember my dad bought me three kits so i could have one of each.....i built plastic and metal models,even a few wooden boats up until 1995 when i broke my back.and got into a relationship with a gal who talked me into to changing to HO scale trains.....when i moved in here after my bankruptsie..and got my act back together..i built a 1/20.3 scale outdoor railroad,my spine got worse and to the point i couldnt use the outdoor rr anymore,and my folks removed the track...all but the tressel..now its flightsim.....but ive been looking at models again...but some are more expencive than the diecast 1/35th scale i was collecting for awhile...

like this one i want...

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowP...0&product=2286

Wow didnt realise there were so many modellers here... so am I The strange thing is the two activities are... not mutually exclusive and I think one feeds the other.

Charter Member 2016
    Man... I've been doing this as long as I've been interested in planes! I'm not that great at it - school, lack of funds, and childish lack of coordination play a big role... fun stuff, though!
    I kinda lost interest in building plastic models, though. I'm having a blast doing my first balsa-framed model! Lotta fun, that...
    This is what I'm working on: http://www.guillow.com/supermarinespitfire-2.aspx
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

I usually buy a large scale model of the project we're working on just so I can get the fine details right. Needless to say, this isn't always possible but it has left me with a VERY large quantity of 1/32 and 1/48 scale models. I will, one day, when my kid is older, make them but for now, they sit in my office... A very large stack of about 40 or so... Crazy

Oh guys, thanks, I feel less lonely with my boxes...

FSX is a little bit imperialist on this, it's so pleasant to "fly" the plane... But there's communication between the two : my last box was a T38 talon, a plane that I would never buy if I didn't learn to love him with the Milviz one... But it's always on the shell...

Good luck, Henry !

Quote Originally Posted by butchm View Post
    Wow didnt realise there were so many modellers here... so am I The strange thing is the two activities are... not mutually exclusive and I think one feeds the other.
    My sister once told me that my FS hobby was the logical extension of my scale model hobby. Now I can "fly" my planes from inside the pit instead of zooming them through the house like I did when I was little.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Airbrushing, that is the key to making these models truly stand out. imho.
    Thinks....... really must get down to starting that excellent Scharnhorst I was given 18 months ago, it is something quite special. It's just the time aspect.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

"and have about 50 more years to improve my skills" now that is attitude
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I mostly scratch build for a small group of well heeled 1:1 scale Car Enthusiasts (it funds my own 1:1 911RS rebuild!) but I'm most enthusiastic about 'Wingnuts' WW.I kits and have finally finished a few to my own satisfaction.
    Once you've been bitten by the bug it never goes away.
    :ernae:
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Looks good, sir! I have boxes and boxes of unbuilt kits. I think I have every F-14 kit that was produced and especially love the Japanese highly detailed kits of the Big Cat. I'm saving them up for retirement in a couple of years where maybe I can tame my impatience to get a kit built, painted, and properly decaled.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Going back to my childhood (actually never left) too. Reading this reminds me I have some Connies in 1/72 scale that needs doing. That said I think I will curl up with a "bottle" some bisquits and take a nap!
    Domine Deus miserere mei

Nzxt Phantom Case
    Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Card
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155
    Intel I-5 Ivy Bridge 4.5 GHZ OC
    Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

16 GB Ripjaws X Series
    MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970
    Viewsonic 27" monitor

Antec 750 Bronze power supply

Fsx on 'Raptor drive

Wn 7 64 bit on 500gb Raptor drive
    2T Storage HD
    Felix Audio Elise Headphone amp, PS Audio Nu Wave DAC Harman-Kardon avr 510 with EV Sentry V Speaker
    Sennheiser HD800 Headphones

SOH-CM-2024
    Between you and my old modeling friends, y'all going to have back in the tack room sniffing fumes. nAnd I have enough kits to last a life time.

Built so many from 1990 until 2008, I don't have room for safe storage of any more built kits and that's the truth.

This is my 1/72 Williams Bros. Martin B-10. Used crew from old Airfix and Matchbox figures. Painted Polly Scale USAAC True Blue and Orange-Yellow. Props mounted on two 1-in. sections of varing brass tubing and spun with a hair dryer. Mounted on a modified hobby magnifier mount, which was cut out using Photoshop. Must replace my old sky backdrop, took more work to clean that up than anything in the photo.

Caz

Attachment 81236

I also have tons of kits waiting my attention. I also spend a fortune on "detail up" kits as well. I use the excuse of - if I am modeling them for Flight Sim - I can justify having a 3D rendition of the subject to hold or look at but I must confess that most get to a certain stage of completion but never get finished. But as Frank said - half the joy is the research but that can also be a handicap. The more you find out about the topic and the kit you have and the inaccuracy of said kit - then the cost of the resin/detail kits to correct it - I then loose the will to finish it. I do envy people that can open a box and complete the contents into a good model without getting too ARC about it. I am in the position where I can't complete something because of an article I read about the kit on-line.
    Classic case was the Phantom by Tamiya (I always build aircraft in 1:32 or 1:24th and ships in no smaller than 1:350th) after spending a fortune on the kit only to find the common errors that I was not aware of (outer wing angle upsweep etc) I then lose interest and confidence to complete the project.
    I am a little older than you but do envy your skill and happiness in the chosen subjects. I just wish I could do the same. Good luck and happy modeling and if you enjoy it - that is all that really matters

Good on you. I wish I could find the time to get back to my plastics. I have a couple thousand unbilt planes and cars to do. Always said "they are for when I retire." But I'll be working till I drop, I'm afraid. Still pull an occasional one out, look thru it, then look at the clock. Oops, time to go.

Enjoy, those are looking real good.

BTW, something I learned long ago, build for yourself, not for anyone else. It's more enjoyable.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Members who have read this thread: 1