FR P-40N: Lightweight

Thread: FR P-40N: Lightweight

FR P-40N: Lightweight

The cockpit for the lightweight P-40N-1 to -5 is almost done (just missing a light). This was the variant that had only four guns instead of six, a single wing tank instead of two, a simple non-gyro instrument panel, and had to be started externally - all this to save weight. Early models had the birdcage canopy, but later ones had the newer style. The P-40N-5-CU, which went back to having six guns (four guns were not a success), is purportedly the variant that started the new canopy, but there are plenty of photos that show four gun aircraft with this canopy. All versions had the under-wing gun bay panels with openings for three guns per wing, even if there were only two in that wing.

The lightweight P-40N was the fastest of the Warhawks/Kittyhawk IV's built, but when it came down to it, pilots preferred more guns in combat, etc., and with the -5 the P-40N went back to being fully equipped.

As this is an early P-40N, I opted to paint the cockpit entirely in Curtiss Cockpit Green/Interior Green.

Also included here are some screenshots of some of new paint schemes, starting from the yellow-nosed Aleutian aircraft on down..

As ever, more to come, all still a work in progress.

Mike

Impressive work, beautiful!

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Impressive work, beautiful!
    Cheers,
    Mark
    +1 Waiting for this bird!!
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Lovely stuff Mike!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

The world is going to go P-40 mad on release

Great stuff Mike, has always been a favorite of mine. Can't wait to fly it in the Solomon Islands scenery.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

The specific detail to these variants is so impressive! Sure gives an education in these historic fighters.

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Nice work and thanks for the info. I never knew about the early N models.

One of my favourite WW.II aircraft and you've done a great job on her Mike, just as you did with the Spitfire Mk.IX/XVI.
    Nice to see a developer thinking outside the box!!!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    just as you did with the Spitfire Mk.IX/XVI.
    What did I miss..? A Flight Replicas Spitfire..?

Good looking P-40, Mike!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

It is especially nice to see a payware product not being rushed out for a quick release, but worked on until perfect :ernae:

Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    One of my favourite WW.II aircraft and you've done a great job on her Mike, just as you did with the Spitfire Mk.IX/XVI.
    Nice to see a developer thinking outside the box!!!
    Sorry, Wombat, haven't done a Spitfire yet! Perhaps one day! But glad you like the P-40.

Mike

Duh!
    Guess I had a senior moment there!!

Of course it was the definitive Bf109 and Me262 series I was thinking about!
    That just makes the Warhawk even more attractive.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Sorry, Wombat, haven't done a Spitfire yet! Perhaps one day! But glad you like the P-40.

Mike
    Boy am I glad I got this message before I started going through my hard discs and checking a couple of old computers that are in moth balls. Whew!!
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

I am looking forward to this one. Great work!

Oh yeah, that's the one I built when I was a kid. That was a long time ago but I remember it just like it was yesterday. I'm really looking forward to this beauty.

Because it wasn't meant to depict the restoration, it was meant to depict one of the originals from Napier Field (all of these were relegated for use as trainers with a few modifications, like the removal of the guns).

The P-40 wheels are all the same, it is just that some had/have dirt/mud covers and some didn't/don't. In this case, none of these aircraft had the covers over the wheels. Some of the FR P-40 models allow you to add/remove the covers via a clickspot in the VC, but in the case of this particular model for the Napier scheme, it is specifically setup just to have the covers permanently removed (like the original aircraft depicted).

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Because it wasn't meant to depict the restoration, it was meant to depict one of the originals from Napier Field (all of these were relegated for use as trainers with a few modifications, like the removal of the guns).

The P-40 wheels are all the same, it is just that some had/have dirt/mud covers and some didn't/don't. In this case, none of these aircraft had the covers over the wheels. Some of the FR P-40 models allow you to add/remove the covers via a clickspot in the VC, but in the case of this particular model for the Napier scheme, it is specifically setup just to have the covers permanently removed (like the original aircraft depicted).

Thanks the info!
    What the button in the VC?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

If you really need to have the wheel covers on it, you can do as I have now just quickly done, by placing the "Parrot" texture into the main "Curtiss P-40N" folder (if you have the full product installed) and adding a new Aircraft.cfg entry for that variant.

When you're inside the VC, look first where the primer pump/lever is. Above it you'll find the cockpit air control. Around it/above it are three screws, and each screw when you click on it provides a different visibility option (pilot helmet, wheel covers, life jacket - some variants have the option to add/remove the wheel covers and some don't).

A screenshot of the Parrot Head/Napier Field paint scheme installed using the "Standard" P-40N model (doesn't appear to be any issues other than there aren't any fasteners drawn into the textures of the wheel covers on this one, since it was never intended to use the wheel covers in the first place). In this condition, you get all of the guns and bomb/drop tank racks installed too.

Mike really is very detail-oriented with his aircraft/productions, and with the wheel covers removed, you can even see the four points where the fasteners from the cover plates attach to the wheels themselves.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Here's a question for Mike C.

Hi Mike, great plane, any chance of ever seeing an "E" model?