Ant's Trojan...WOW! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ant's Trojan...WOW!

watching Trojan youtube videos..... cant wait..... is it a 1425 horsepower version

I missed this thread the first time around.

Must have been started when ex tropical cyclone Oswald hit and we lost power for 4 days.

Engine is the 1820-86A (at least that is the one on VH-TRO which is the source plane) which is the same as in the B model so I am working with the B model performance data. ie 1425HP.

Hopefully I will be able to upload a video of the startup procedure next month. Had to custom write that so that it works properly (FSX doesn't do the 'count 8 blades trick' before starting thing).

Here's a pic I took of the real thing at Evans Head in Jan 2013 (how can people not love it?). Handy Hint No 243: Recording engine noises at an airshow is very difficult.

I'll be in the checkout line when this baby

Is released! One minor criticism...how do I say this with political correctness. "The largest single concentration of this aircraft was employed by the U.S. Navy at NAS Whiting Field in Milton, Florida, in the training of student naval aviators." Will it come with a US NAVY paint scheme?
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Holy mackerel! That looks incredible. Very nice work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Is released! One minor criticism...how do I say this with political correctness. "The largest single concentration of this aircraft was employed by the U.S. Navy at NAS Whiting Field in Milton, Florida, in the training of student naval aviators." Will it come with a US NAVY paint scheme?

Last I heard, and as per Ant's site, it was only the D. No B, or more particularly for us naval nuts, the carrier-equipped C. Though a bit disappointed that there is no C, I think perhaps the rationale is that there were B/Cs in the earlier sim models, and since numerically, the D acconted for over half of the production, to do a D. Just guessing - don't know. There is a note on the site that says he may do the other models - I'll hold off until a C materializes - the existing, if rather older, models scratch my Trojan itch well enough for my needs.

That said, I agree it's simply gorgeous - and Ant will doubtlessly do well with these as with his other models. Bravo!

DL

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Last I heard, and as per Ant's site, it was only the D. No B, or more particularly for us naval nuts, the carrier-equipped C. Though a bit disappointed that there is no C, I think perhaps the rationale is that there were B/Cs in the earlier sim models, and since numerically, the D acconted for over half of the production, to do a D. Just guessing - don't know. There is a note on the site that says he may do the other models - I'll hold off until a C materializes - the existing, if rather older, models scratch my Trojan itch well enough for my needs.

That said, I agree it's simply gorgeous - and Ant will doubtlessly do well with these as with his other models. Bravo!

DL
    Delta_Lima - I understand where you are coming from. I did see Ant's explanation and am only trying to "suggest" (what I think is) an "improvement". Both US Navy "B" and "D" (proposed by Ant) are 1,425 hp. So, maybe just a paint scheme to make it look like a US Navy plane. The "C" models have a shortened prop and a tail hook and that might be more difficult.

SkyhawkA4M - Nice photo.
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

The reason for the D model only is that it would take me another 6 months to do the B and C models. The source aircraft was a D model (I don't think there are even any B or C's in Australia, I know NZ has a C model and someone I know there has kindly taken some pics of that for me). The B and C have very different instrument panels to the A and D models and I would need to rebuild them. Plus the B and C have speed brakes which the A and D don't. The A model would also involve redoing the engine cowling as it is a lot smaller than on the B,C and D models (only the 7 cylinder engine as opposed to the 9 cylinder in the other versions).

As it is I've spent quite a lot of time on this one aircraft already (more than any other I've made) and I still have a long way to go to get it finished.

If the D model sells well enough then I will do the B and C models. And of course at the prices I charge you could buy the D version and the B/C version (if it is released) and still pay only around $40.

I haven't done any real research on the paints yet so if anyone is flying a D model with a Navy scheme I will go looking for it (like skyhawks pic).

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post
    The reason for the D model only is that it would take me another 6 months to do the B and C models. The source aircraft was a D model (I don't think there are even any B or C's in Australia, I know NZ has a C model and someone I know there has kindly taken some pics of that for me). The B and C have very different instrument panels to the A and D models and I would need to rebuild them. Plus the B and C have speed brakes which the A and D don't. The A model would also involve redoing the engine cowling as it is a lot smaller than on the B,C and D models (only the 7 cylinder engine as opposed to the 9 cylinder in the other versions).

As it is I've spent quite a lot of time on this one aircraft already (more than any other I've made) and I still have a long way to go to get it finished.

If the D model sells well enough then I will do the B and C models. And of course at the prices I charge you could buy the D version and the B/C version (if it is released) and still pay only around $40.

I haven't done any real research on the paints yet so if anyone is flying a D model with a Navy scheme I will go looking for it (like skyhawks pic).
    I second that paint scheme absolutely

I have to tell you - I wish I could do what you do - your works for FSX are pretty f'n sweet - airfields and aircraft all
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

for wing detail of markings

Attachment 81987

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post

Engine is the 1820-86A (at least that is the one on VH-TRO which is the source plane) which is the same as in the B model so I am working with the B model performance data. ie 1425HP.

1425HP.... I am thrilled!!

It looks beautiful..... One 1425HP D version is all I need.

When I was a wee lad, in the 1970s, I read an article in one of the airplane magazines popular at the time. In it the author related an experience flying a T-28 in a simulated dog fight with a P-40. Of course we all know the differences between 1975 and 1942. The P-40 in 1975 was probably not flown to it's 1942 limits, and who knows what the skill levels were of the two pilots? But the point of the article was the power and maneuverability of the Trojan, and it was exciting to read about how that T-28 pilot kept the Curtiss ship centered in his windshield for most of the engagement. Can't wait for this one! Nice pics skyhawka4m.

- Paul
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

An Acquaintance of Mine....

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    When I was a wee lad, in the 1970s, I read an article in one of the airplane magazines popular at the time. In it the author related an experience flying a T-28 in a simulated dog fight with a P-40. Of course we all know the differences between 1975 and 1942. The P-40 in 1975 was probably not flown to it's 1942 limits, and who knows what the skill levels were of the two pilots? But the point of the article was the power and maneuverability of the Trojan, and it was exciting to read about how that T-28 pilot kept the Curtiss ship centered in his windshield for most of the engagement. Can't wait for this one! Nice pics skyhawka4m.

- Paul
    [I related this story once before, but, because it is appropriate to Ant's spectacular effort on the T-28, I will repeat myself.] ...was once stationed in a flying billet in a country he could not name. This was during the period of the U.S. war in Vietnam. This gentleman flew various aircraft types and one of those types was the T-28. This person was also familiar with some other pilots in his group that were WWII and Korean war veterans and P-51 aces. These experienced pilots were of the mind that the T-28 performed better in a "dog fight" below 12,000' than the P-51. (Usually pilots like a plane for "dog fighting" because of its turn radius and power (ability to climb).) So, the (high power version) of the T-28 could out turn and out climb the P-51 at altitudes below 12,000 (where I do most of my flying). The links below set out the very interesting history of this interesting, great performing aircraft.

http://www.northamericantrainer.org/t-28.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_T-28_Trojan

I'm really looking forward to the operational version of Ant's T-28D. Thanks Ant.
    Jay

Athony are things still progressing? I check almost daily for any hint.

Members who have read this thread: 2