XBOX The Next Generation Bait and Switch

Thread: XBOX The Next Generation Bait and Switch

XBOX The Next Generation Bait and Switch

I read an interesting article, though disturbing, that with the new XBOX 720 games will be proprietary to the console originally purchased for, eliminating the ability to buy used games. I am not sure I agree with that... Right now I can't see paying 60 bucks for a new a game and I do tend to usually wait until a game has been out for awhile before I buy just so I am not paying the large price tag (For 3-4 hours of gameplay on a single player game!). I have to ask myself, will this be the end of console gaming for me? Granted I have my 360, but it just doesn't seem right is all!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Not that big a deal... we have had propitiatory games on Steam for example, for years... seems fine for PC users. With console games becoming more online friendly... that 3-4 hours of single player is going out the window in favor of expansions, and multiplayer experience. I'll look forward to what they produce and see if its the lemon you suggest, or a step towards PC gaming.

Sony has done the same thing with the PS3 and backward compatibility with older games,when the PS3 first came out there was one model that had the capability but they soon discontinued that.Now,they are making updated "collections" that rework the graphics and resell them for the almighty dollar.The DLC industry is the future of console gaming,Microsoft has been making "exclusivity" deals with publishers that give the Xbox users a 30 day jump on some of the DLC while PS3 and PC players have to wait out the allotted time frame to get it.While I don't like that situation it makes a lot sense money-wise for M$.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

M$ locking out a used physical CD is not the same as Steam. Locking out a used physical CD is like Ford or Honda locking out used cars.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    M$ locking out a used physical CD is not the same as Steam. Locking out a used physical CD is like Ford or Honda locking out used cars.
    Agreed!

And I hope it is just a rumor.

I suppose the whole game trading thing has always been a console market... PC games... you don't really have that. With CD keys, user activation, anti piracy tools, there's not been much if any second hand market for us. I suppose the idea of 'not being able to trade them in' isn't a huge deal, but to you huys, paying zillions for COD4... yeah, sounds like a more pressing issue. (Cod 4 that is)

First thing I thought of when I read this was what happens if someones console fries or is stollen, do they have to buy all the games they had before again?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    What do you think pc games have done for years with serial keys and validation? locking games to machines, at least steam locks it to an account. Either way, its been happening to us for years. It seems the publishers finally want a slice of that rather large pie that is the console second hand market.

I haven't really been a gamer for quite a while. Still have my PS2 hooked up, but hasn't been used in a while. I used to go to places like Gamestop and trade and buy used games all the time. Is this the market they are trying to shut down? What about those membership outfits that let you "rent" games then exchange them for another title, is this going away also?

Quote Originally Posted by pfflyers View Post
    I haven't really been a gamer for quite a while. Still have my PS2 hooked up, but hasn't been used in a while. I used to go to places like Gamestop and trade and buy used games all the time. Is this the market they are trying to shut down? What about those membership outfits that let you "rent" games then exchange them for another title, is this going away also?
    Yes. If Gamestop has any brain the would dump all stock of any MS Xbox crap they have left and statr filing complaints to regulators world wide. Gamefly and Netflicks as well.

Also if I were Nintendo I would be launching a preemptive strike on MS and beat them over the head with No used games and Net contection always requied. I don't know whay Sony has planed but they should join in as well.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

I can't tell you how many times I have bought a game that costs $60 bucks to find that it only has 3 hours of game play for the single player and have quit buying games when first released just because of that. Or I bought a game that I didn't think I would care for, but only paid a fraction of what it was when it was new to find out that I absolutely love it and go on to buy the sequels at full price. Or I borrowed a game from a friend and liked it so much I went out and bought it after giving it back.. There is just so much garbage out there and given the likely hood that games will go up in price with the new consoles I can't help but wonder if it is even worth the effort anymore, of course you can just wait until they go down in price as new but I have always liked the used market because if I find myself buying a lemon then I am not out big bucks for a piss poor game.