Looking for sounds to power the Heinkel HE-51 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for sounds to power the Heinkel HE-51

Thanks Huub! It makes me realise my aero-engine knowledge is rather poor.

When I read your post stating 45L, my first fought was "boat engine!"

Thanks for the picture Ferry. That is interesting information! As said, based on the lenght of the stroke I already expected the maximum number of revolution was pretty low. But with 1650 rpm it is even much lower than I expected!

I also noticed the displacement from the engine of Brutus is higher than a standard BMW VI (an additional 2 litres!), so the engine most likely has a bigger bore.

Cheers,
    Huub

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Had a look through my old photos on my external HDD and found some more info on this sheet:

Seems even the museum itself is providing conflicting information.. :isadizzy:

And for those still using the good old imperial unit system: 46.5 liters equals 2837 cubic inch. Still not as much as the R-4360 but still quite impressive!

Yet even the mighty R-4360 is dwarfed by this beast :

This is a Russian Zvezda Type M-503A-2 engine, a 42-cylinder water-cooled diesel engine (Six rows of seven cylinders) with a displacement of 147.1 liters (Or 8,976 cubic inches!) delivering 4,000 hp at 2,200 rpm.
    Originally designed for a long range bomber but only used in fast boats after WW2. A Bigger 56(!!) cylinder version was made as well (Eight rows of seven). Both proved unreliable.
    The engine weighs a mere 5,400 kilograms, or 12,000 pounds... :isadizzy:
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

OK, so:

Wasp Major: 2,5L per cylinder
    Zvezda Engine: 3,5L per cylinder
    BMW VI: 3,75L per cylinder

The He-51 must have been like flying a Harley. I'm sure Hagrid would like it...

Live images from Brutus. When I understand it correctly the first run of this car was made in 2007 after 8 years construction time.

An awful lot of mechanical noise, which is not surprising when you look at the transmission to the camshafts.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jokkea/...3549/lightbox/

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0