Looking for sounds to power the Heinkel HE-51
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for sounds to power the Heinkel HE-51

Looking for sounds to power the Heinkel HE-51

I have recently been looking around for sounds to use with the HE-51.

After listening to the "Brutus" race car on YouTube which sports a BMW VI V12 aircraft engine (the same used on the HE-51), I feel that the present sounds are a bit anemic...

This is what it sounds like : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwOomfZ-hfM

Anybody wants to share what he's using on the Heinkel presently ?

Are there any good sounds available (either freeware or shareware) ?

It definitely needs sounds with a Sabretooth tiger under the hood...

Obio, Lawdog... ?

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Well I use the very nice sounding Rolls-Royce Kestrel soudpack by Gary jones, it can be found at Britsim.

I don't know how close it is to the BMW, but it was a V12 with a similar power output. And the souds were designed with a fixed pitch prop in mind.

Owen.

Thanks for the HU on that sound Owen , it sounds great in the Heinkel HE-51.

A major difference between the BMW and the Rolls-Royce was the displacement; 45.84 L (2,797.5 cubic inch) for the BMW against 21.24 L (1,295.88 cubic inch ) for the Kestrel.
    The sound from the aircraft/ engine was not only created by the number of cylinders, but intakes and exhausts make great differences.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thank you Owen for the suggestion and Huub for the precision...

Should I try to compensate for the difference (almost twice the size) by upping the sound a bit (my cat LuLu will hate me for this) or re-working the Kestrel sounds with a program to give it a Sabertoothed roar...

And what about exhaust flames ?

This seemed to be one fiery engine which would have belched some flames even with the exhaust pipes added, no ?...

They even cooked a big sausage on another video by putting it in the flames coming out of the long side exhaust ...

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Fleurdelys

Quote Originally Posted by FentiFlier1 View Post
    Well I use the very nice sounding Rolls-Royce Kestrel soudpack by Gary jones, it can be found at Britsim.

I don't know how close it is to the BMW, but it was a V12 with a similar power output. And the souds were designed with a fixed pitch prop in mind.

Owen.
    Just downloaded and tried the Gary Jones Kestrel sounds...

They are very good (as can be expected from Gary Jones made sounds) and I like the idle but they were made for a variable pitch prop as stated by the author in the readme file, which would account for the whining prop sound heard in flight, most probably...

Or are there two files, one for a fixed pitch prop and another for the variable pitch prop ?

Still searching...

Fleurdelys

Fleurdelys,

The set you have is done for Ed cook's Miles which had a variable pitch prop. There is a second set created by Gary Jones for use with the highly recommended models of the Hawker Demon, Hart and Hind by Edward Cook" (according the read-me).

I have this file on a back-up disk, but when I look at the file name, I assume it is available at Britsim as well.

Cheers,
    Huub

Merci beaucoup Huub,

Will go searching for it!

Fleurdelys

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    A major difference between the BMW and the Rolls-Royce was the displacement; 45.84 L (2,797.5 cubic inch) for the BMW against 21.24 L (1,295.88 cubic inch ) for the Kestrel.
    The sound from the aircraft/ engine was not only created by the number of cylinders, but intakes and exhausts make great differences.

Cheers,
    Huub

45 liters V12? That's BIG. Do you have any more specs for the BMW, Huub? I would be very interested to see it.

I looked on Wiki and it shows the Rolls Royce Kestrel at 21.24 litres capacity.

If you want to use the Kestrel sound without the prop wine, just delete Kes_RPM5 and XKes_RPM5 from the sound folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    If you want to use the Kestrel sound without the prop wine, just delete Kes_RPM5 and XKes_RPM5 from the sound folder.
    Thank you Bruce,

Followed your suggestion and it is much better now ! Found the other Kestrel sound but they had both the prop whining sound. No problem with the removal of the RPM5...

Fleurdelys

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Already, there's some great HU for this beautiful project.

If anyone's looking for something throaty and exotic, I've hitched the sounds from the Avia 156 (Hispano-Suiza 12Y) to the He 51 with promising results.

Give it a whirl, you'll need to make this entry to the sound cfg for wind effect.:

// Wind Sounds __________________________________________________ ______________
    [WIND_SOUND]
    filename=wind_opencanopy
    minimum_volume=4500
    maximum_volume=9600
    minimum_rate=0.40
    maximum_rate=1.10
    minimum_speed=20.0
    maximum_speed=140.0

No need to search for the wind sound - it's already in your main fsx sound folder.
    Leave it there, the cfg will automatically pick it up.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Thanks for the Info Nigel, I will give it a try.

Bruce.

Where can I find these Kestrel Sounds Please?... I tried Classic British Flightsim but couldnt see them. Have a link maybe?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MDIvey View Post
    Where can I find these Kestrel Sounds Please?... I tried Classic British Flightsim but couldnt see them. Have a link maybe?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Try at Britsim , look for RR Kestrel VP Prop sounds.zip.

Thanks...found em, look forward to giving them a try

Matt

What a superb sound set...thanks for suggesting it all.

Matt

Matt
    Hi Matt,

Did you remove the two files I suggested higher up in this thread?

Bruce

Yes Indeed...worked no problem for me.

Matt

Matt

Exactly what I think!

I've known of this soundset for what seems like ages, but I nerver had a plane in my FSX setup to go with it until Craig released his superlative He-51.

Three cheers for Craig Richardson and Gary Jones! The He-51/Kestrel sound is giving me some real enjoyment!

Owen.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Back to the original post; I was fortunate to see 'Brutus' perform a few years ago and even though it's a faked car (American LaFrance 1904 fire truck chassis with BMW VI engine and custom bodywork, and no one wants to tell when it was made..) it still looks and sounds very impressive! 750 HP through a chain to very narrow tires...

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

That reminds me of "Babs " The chain driven land speed record car that crashed on Pendine Sands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    Hi Matt,

Try at Britsim , look for RR Kestrel VP Prop sounds.zip.
    Thanks a lot for that suggestion. Downloading as I write

Quote Originally Posted by FentiFlier1 View Post
    45 liters V12? That's BIG. Do you have any more specs for the BMW, Huub? I would be very interested to see it.
    As you can see in the car, the engine was quite large (more than 1.10 meter in height). As it had a very long stroke (190 mm against 140 mm for the Kestrel) the number of revolutions of this engine must have been very low (due to the critical speed of the pistons!).

Wikipedia has some additional information about this engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_VI

Cheers,
    Huub

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Here's the info from the car, Huub:

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Members who have read this thread: 0