Dino Cattaneo's F-14D beta released - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dino Cattaneo's F-14D beta released

Still cant D/L! I give up. Google says the file is too big to scan. Whatever that means. Download anyway doesnt work! Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanimichal View Post
    Awesome plane! must have many repaints

Attachment 80458
    Hanimichal, any chance of a VF-213 Black Lions CAG bird?

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

fuel tanks are undersize

All, thanks for the appreciation.

As per the instructions in my blog, please, if possible if you have a bug to report, please go through the known issue list and if it is not there add a comment to the Beta 1 post - this makes bug tracking easier for me.

The F-14D Natops can be easily found by Googling for it. I am not attaching a direct link as I am not 100% sure the document is not classified as of today.
    From the NATOPs it is clear than the F-14D can exceed Mach 2.0 in certain conditions, although operating speeds are lower and depending on the loadout. In many cases it is Mach 1.6.

Regards

Dino

Thanks Dino. Nice job. New Toms are always welcome in FSX and she's a beauty.
    As for high mach; Few years back a Tom crew relayed thoughts from the top end of the flight envelope. One incident. failure of an inlet damper during a "lets see how fast we can go" brain cramp (inspired by a little extra gas ) at M1.5 that scared the s--t out of them ! Fortunately not much more than a scare, but it gave pause for thought on the ride home. What might happen should the Stability Augmentation System fail at high mach ? It was decided such a thing would might result in the airframe coming apart. A contract was made not to push that end of the envelope again unless operationally required. Lesson learned.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks for yet another superb aircraft Dino. I have just one observation to make, and that is that the reflection in the HUD makes it difficult to see the carrier clearly when landing in anything other than perfect visability.

Regards,
    Ian.

Actually, there is a scary video on youtube of an F-14 (-A version I believe) which basically explodes after a high-speed pass nearby a carrier...

The Tomcat has been aa wonderfully complex and fascinating machine - but had its own share of problems... Still the best looking aircraft ever IMHO - but maybe it is because I grew up watching Top Gun :-)

Dino, that was actually a D model from VF-31. On the bug list, like the drop tank size, do you want those kind of bugs listed on the blog? Do you have a suggestion box as well?
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Blog Entries
    First, great model Dino! I'm more partial to the early model A/Bs, but your work is of such calibre that I had to give the beta a go.

Separate from the aforementioned issues, I just wanted to add

1) the canopy appears to have the pilot helmets' reflections painted it. It looks ok, but in external view, when the canopy is open you can still see the reflection of the pilots in the canopy, which looks really strange. Sorry - don't have a screenshot - if this doesn't make sense, I'll take one later.

2) the contrails appear to emmanate from about 2-3 feet outboard of the actual wing tip (in fully forward position) - don't know if the variable sweep coding causes problems, but at least, the contrail should not be much, if at all, outboard of the wing in the fully forward position.

It's looking superb, and looking forward to the next round - again, thanks for some truly epic work!

DL

@Victory103

Well, I check SOH quite often, but I'd prefer to have "one stop" for bug reporting...makes things much easier for me. Anyway, tanks have already been enlarged and bug is already on the blog.

@delta_lima
    - reflection is painted on purpose for better (IMHO) rendering... but then of course if you open the canopy reflections are looking wrong....so it is a (questionable) design choice rather than a bug

- as for the wing contrails I'd probably do better to get rid of them...

Suggestions are welcome in any form.

@All the others, I had no time for individual replies, but the blog is updated with bug findings and fixes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dino.

I wondered if that was your objective. Certainly, when closed, they look great. It's a tradeoff, of uniqueness vs. broad appeal. Though I have a mild preference for it not being there, I'd never be a big issue for me - but others may feel different. No doublt, when the canopy is closed, it's a cool effect. If memory serves, the helmet painted on the reflection is of the 1980s HGU-34P variety, whereas the pilots appear to be wearing a more modern HGU-68 style. Just a small point, but if you want to include the reflection ... might tie together a bit more nicely.

Anyway - thanks for your commitment to the Tomcat - has to be nearly a decade a half of your 'Cats, if my math is right .... (since the FS98 models, in the late 90s ...)

DL

@Delta Lima - You are right about the helmet...I thought nobody would notice (same as the LAU-7 instead of LAU-138)... :-) Anyway, it is nice to know that someone still remembers my early F-14 efforts :-) !!!

Sweet!
    Matt

Very difficult to locate position of many details

Attachment 80528

Looking good sir! I see what you mean about the details....

Is there a set of layered psd files available for this aircraft, showing parts wireframes?

Best
    DagR

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    Looking good sir! I see what you mean about the details....
    I can't finish this paint and am stopped here, only with layered psd, or other mapping layers I'll back

Quote Originally Posted by Hanimichal View Post
    I can't finish this paint and am stopped here, only with layered psd, or other mapping layers I'll back
    Hey Hanimichal, thanks for trying, sir, it's much appreciated....

Outstanding! Looks great!

They look frickin' fantastic to me....can we have them? Please? Preeetty please?
    Matt

Very nice work indeed!

Finaly back home and downloaded this, very very nice.

Hope for some good paints from our talented members.
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Hanimichal, outstanding job on these, request 2 other "D" squadrons, VF-2 and -31.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 2