Dino Cattaneo's F-14D beta released - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dino Cattaneo's F-14D beta released

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Try a different browser maybe? It's working fine for me with Chrome.

Bingo. One try with Chrome and I got the DL. Thanks!

Alright great!
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Another beautifull model, Dino. Thanks!

I did notice that the ladnding weight fuel and payload I used (49.7) gave a GG of 0.44% MAC (right at the front of the MAC). For this general type of wing section a useable CG range might run something like 18-35%.

Cheers: T

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Just now dl the files with on problems. Google drive... no preview available... click on download... The file exceeds the maximum size that we scan. Download anyway... click on Download anyway

Download Beta1.zip 63.9 MB file.

Still an issue... and I am using Chrome.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Cat launch from Enterprise works very well, but visual on launch bar has the bar a bit short?

Crash:

I got the same window, but downloaded anyway....

T

This is frustrating! I have Chrome too and still nothing.....

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Crash:

I got the same window, but downloaded anyway....

T
    '
    '
    Yep I clicked on it... just flashes back to the same page. Thus the colored link in the pic.... maybe just too busy... will wait awhile

Shrewd releasing it during Super Bowl.... tons of traffic anyways.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy

The link works fine on my end. Download troubles are between the chair and the router.

Thanks Dino!

Seemed to stop rather quickly, but maybe that was because of the pitching deck...

Thanks Dino, I know its in beta stage, but love it already

I have a shadow issue on the wings, but I have shadow issues with the VRS Superbug and some Carenado as well, so maybe that is on my end?

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Not having the NATOPS for this so don't know if it is slow or not but only getting M 1.82 at FL300. Am able to overspeed at Sl. Tactical acft usually, but not always thrust limited at low alt. I know FS throws a few wrenches at very high speed aircraft!

Engine Inlet Temp as read on the cockpit gauge is currently SAT, or Static Air Temperature, which is what you would measure at a weather station at the site. Since you are moving rapidly, frictional and compressional heating restults in a warmer value which in the cruise I am in at the moment at 27,000 ft at M 0.78 is -10C. This value is referenced as TAT or Total Air Temperature. The SAT is currently -39C! The inlet temperature should reference the TAT value of -10C.

Downloaded from my big FS computer... worked fine. Weird.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy

Not having the NATOPS for this so don't know if it is slow or not but only getting M 1.82 at FL300. Am able to overspeed at Sl. Tactical acft usually, but not always thrust limited at low alt. I know FS throws a few wrenches at very high speed aircraft!

Engine Inlet Temp as read on the cockpit gauge is currently SAT, or Static Air Temperature, which is what you would measure at a weather station at the site. Since you are moving rapidly, frictional and compressional heating restults in a warmer value which in the cruise I am in at the moment at 27,000 ft at M 0.78 is -10C. This value is referenced as TAT or Total Air Temperature. The SAT is currently -39C! The inlet temperature should reference the TAT value of -10C.

A lot of high performance aircraft aren't thrust limited at low altitude, their q limited. Of course, that partly depends on loadout. But in a clean relatively clean/a2a configuration, they're definitely q limited.

Don't know if its been reported yet, but the wings seem to droop down. Great stuff Dino!

Hi,

I initially had problems with MFDs and realised it needed FA-18 guages from FSX Acc. I have tested in P3D and so far the only anomalies I have seen, apart from the stuff reported, is that the AOA indexer is "beaming" out of its housing when the aircraft jolts or is reloaded in the sim. There's also a red light appearing on the lower instrument panel when the gear is retracted, possibly an external one.
    Apart from that the aircraft is behaving very nice in P3D and looks very nicely modelled and textured.

Best
    DagR

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    A lot of high performance aircraft aren't thrust limited at low altitude, their q limited. Of course, that partly depends on loadout. But in a clean relatively clean/a2a configuration, they're definitely q limited.
    Loadout/weight would factor into G-limit, however altitude wouldn't make a difference. 6.5 Gs on the deck is 6.5 Gs at altitude. Saying it was thrust limited is not accurate but I think what fliger747 meant was Airspeed Limitations. If I recall correctly, the F-14 was airspeed limited to 800kias at sea-level and M1.8 at altitude. This would be depending on stores also. Some stores would limit the airspeed further. Even though there were limitations, the Tomcat was quite capable of exceeding those speeds.

As to speeds: I fly with a lot of ex F-4 FA-18 and F-14 drivers and will have to ask them if I run into one. Certainly the plane I fly is "q" and Mach limited and is quite capable of exceeding those values at eithr SL or at altitude, but then it's an airliner....

Many thanks again to our top freeware designers, to mention Dino, and of course Milton for their contributions to us all.

Cheers: Tom

Previously mentioned landing gear strength is not fully sufficient for normal no flare deck landing. Currently it is set at 1500 FPS, which by real numbers should be sufficient. However experience shows a value of 2500 FPS is necessary as FS does not compute such dampening as from tire squish. The real plane would experience some excitement if landing on steel tires!

cheers. Tom

As to speeds: I fly with a lot of ex F-4 FA-18 and F-14 drivers and will have to ask them if I run into one. Certainly the plane I fly is "q" and Mach limited and is quite capable of exceeding those values at eithr SL or at altitude, but then it's an airliner....
    Cheers: Tom
    BTW, When I say low, I'm talking down near S/L. At the altitudes you're talking, it gets tricky without having the engine deck and airframe q limit handy. Since you're still in the relatively thick part of the atmosphere (Below 36k ft), I can see the altitudes you're talking about (30K ft or so) being thermally limited more so than q limited, since the density is still much lower there than at S/L. Unfortunately, I only have one good engine deck and it's for a newer engine and powerplant manufacturers don't just go around handing those out. Though I wish they would release them for the pre-J79 engines at least.

About to FCF her from Oceana, wish I could find my "D" NATOPS hard copy. I'm sure any Tomcat fan will confirm stories of the jet exceeding Mach 2.3, getting the FSX to use the numbers of the flight dynamics is another story.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Victory, I'll find the quote somewhere in the many Tomcat books I have but I read an A model at M2.4 was still accelerating when the pilot pulled the throttles back. Here is something I did find... Aviation Week & Space Technology
    December 17, 1990

Flight Test Evaluation F-14D

i quote,
    At this point, we rejoined the F-14A so Miles could demonstrate the D’s acceleration.
    Starting at a speed of 245 kt. at 10,000 ft., he selected military power as Altman did the same in the A(F-14A).
    We quickly accelerated away from Altman, reaching 420 kt. in 30 sec. and 500 kt. in 46 sec.
    The A lagged at 400 kt. at the same 46-sec. mark.
    Miles and Altman then slowed to 250 kt. and went into afterburner power.
    The D accelerated through 350 kt. in 10 sec., 400 kt. in 15 sec., 450 kt. in 19 sec. and
    achieved 500 kt. in 21 sec.
    The A was indicating 400 kt. at the last point.
    Miles also demonstrated some of the improved maneuverability afforded by the added thrust of the F110 engines. At 11,800 ft. and 180 kt., he went into burner and pulled a 4g loop.
    We topped out at 15,700 ft. at a speed of 140 kt. The F-14D was back level at 12,000 ft., at a speed of 220 kt.
    He said that on almost any maneuver, the F-14A would have to begin 50 kt. faster than the D to achieve comparable performance.
    He then pulled 6.5g in pitch to the near-vertical, starting at 300 kt. and at 15,000 ft. in military power. He was able to pull the aircraft over at 70 kt.

Further more,
    i qoute
    reaching Mach 0.89, below 5,000 ft. and until we were clear of an altitude restricted area.
    He then selected afterburner and we climbed at Mach 0.9 at a 55-deg. pitch attitude to 35,000 ft. We had traveled less than 7 naut. mi. over the ground to reach that altitude.
    The F-14D was held at 35,000 ft. so we could perform a speed run at supersonic levels. Miles again selected afterburner and we rapidly achieved Mach 1.5. The F-14’s operational limit is Mach 1.88, but the aircraft is capable of speeds near Mach 2.3. Miles then retarded the throttles to military power and the F-14D maintained supersonic cruise at Mach 1.1.
    An idle speed lockup feature in the engine fuel control does not allow the pilot to drop below military power at this speed, to prevent a potential engine stall. The Navy, Grumman and General Electric are evaluating this feature to determme if it can be modified to allow the pilot to slow down faster.
    Miles made a sharp turn and pulled gforces to slow the aircraft to a subsonic speed.
    The Navy has achieved supercruise in a clean F-14D with a slightly uprated F110 engine, without the use of afterburner.

evvatc, I have read that in one of my many references at one time, thanks for the refresh on the numbers. 1st checkflight complete, after reading Dino's blog on current issues and the status of each. The RIO pit was very cool to actually use, the TID was fun to do mock intercepts, although I had to PWR on/off to recycle the display. Great to see a purpose built HUD. Looking over some RW pics, is it me or do the drop tanks and IRST/TCS seem too small?
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 2