THE Best Low and Slow For.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THE Best Low and Slow For....

There's been some great stuff here - many thanks all. I'm having a 'hoot of a time'.

Got a question though and hope it doesn't insult the creator (Bill I think?)... I have the Quest Kodiak, and love it except the VC (sorry!). Is there a way of swapping out the VC, even for maybe the default C208? Such blasphemy I know - sorry guys;-)
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

I was thinking along the lines of Dave Garwood's Auster Autocrat. Good for low and slow and doesn't need much space. Also, there are some examples of NZ textures for it (mostly by Jan-Kees, I think).

Best,
    Myles

Since I love low and slow, I'll jump in here. All suggestions so far are good. However, I find myself investigating Orbxs' demo of Tasmania while sitting in the old LIC 7ac Champ a real hoot. It might be that much of my real life flying was in the champ, but it helps that as a flightsim model, it is almost perfect. Very realistic, great visibility from front seat and works very well in FSX. If speed is an issue, I usually end up flying Lionheart's Tailwind. I can be a fairly nice stol aircraft once you master landing with full flaps. The Pacer/tripacer is a wonderful model also, but visibility from VC keeps me from enjoying it as much when trying to get into smaller strips. Ant's Tiger Moth is also wonderful for low and slow, but landing can be a challenge, just doesn't want to slow down. For true stol use, I like RealAir's Scout and Flight Replica's Super Cub. I use the standard 150 and the 95 hp version. The 95 will test your skills getting it to slow down enough to land in a small strip, almost as much as Ant's Tiger.

Just my thoughts. No matter what you try, it is much fun trying to pick the "right" aircraft.

Seeing as most all my flying is Bush flying I have to second (or third) the A2A J-3 Cubbie with the accu-sim pkg. and the Carenado Cessna C-185,both available with Tundra tires and both have several NZ repaints available,while the Cub is truly low~n~slo the C-185 is a very good way to get in and out in a reasonable amount of time!

All of the above are great (and I own most of them).
    FSAddon Storch is very worthwhile also.
    Attachment 80180
    "I was thinking the Storch had better be as good as everybody says it is, or I'm
    in big trouble. I turned the corner while flaring and got straightened out just
    before I hit. The bagel-size tires didn't soak up much shock, but the long oleos
    sucked up any bounce it had in it, and I nailed the brakes immediately. The gear
    had touched down right next to the start of a fence, so it was easy to judge how
    far this mongoose had rolled. I swung around and could hardly believe that the
    first fence post was less than 100 feet away. The Storch (a name I now revered)
    had rolled three airplane lengths at the very most and I had been too hot with
    zero headwind to help." Pirep by Budd Davisson, Air Progress, April, 1972
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by myles View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of Dave Garwood's Auster Autocrat. Good for low and slow and doesn't need much space. Also, there are some examples of NZ textures for it (mostly by Jan-Kees, I think).

Best,
    Myles
    I would have to put a second hand up in favour of the Autocrat. Can get in and out of almost anywhere.
    Attachment 80259

Gavin

Pilatus PC-6 is one of my favorites. By FSD.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post
    I would have to put a second hand up in favour of the Autocrat. Can get in and out of almost anywhere.

Gavin
    Just remember - typically getting to Milford Sound is either down the West coast from Haast, or over the Southern Alps from the East coast.
    If you choose the latter, you will need something that still has power left at altitudes of around 9-10,000 Feet . (10,000 feet is a height of Mt Aspiring when taking off from Wanaka heading west - you would typically fly off the southern side and at a fair distance to avoid mountain turbulence. I know a 172 can do it - and a Robyn 120 at a pinch. The 152's struggle with two pax. I have done this crossing South Island east to west a couple of times but in a C182 and with 2 and 3 other pax respectively. It is a truely spectacular flight - and you get a real appreciation of the size of the surrounding mountains when you doddle along at 4,000 feet hugging one side of the sound. You have bush covered granite mountains on both sides streaming waterfalls, and you can see a tiny dot of a scenic ferry way below taking tourists up the sound toward the sea entrance.

OK, This bad boy has the low and slow down .... maybe not tiny enough?

Attachment 80305
    Attachment 80306

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhaenens View Post
    OK, This bad boy has the low and slow down .... maybe not tiny enough?

Attachment 80305
    Attachment 80306

Ok, where did you get the gas bag?? I've been looking for one to use from NAS/CGAS Corpus.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Search avsim for USS Macon. (don't mean to hijack the post...sorry)

and how about the Fieseler Storch? You can land on a postage stamp with that.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

how slow... the RA Lancair Legacy has great visibility and even offer special suspension option for grassfield operations. It is not a bush plane, but great for cross country vfr flying.