HU: New F-106A Delta Dart by Rob Richardson - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HU: New F-106A Delta Dart by Rob Richardson

Have not had a chance to install but have looked at the d/l.

At which Alaska airbase is the included saved flight located?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Thanks Rob, what a lovely model! I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I like the flight model, it feels good. The only thing is that I don't get much of a reaction at the stall speed of around 150 knots when landing. In fact I can actually get the 6 to float above the runway all the way down to 80 knots. Is there anyone who knows how to deal with this?

It is just that this plane is so nice I would love to have an even better FDE (sorry if I sound fussy).

The F-106 had very special and quite extreme dynamics, I was thinking it could make an exciting challenge for one of the FD gurus...

Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    At which Alaska airbase is the included saved flight located?
    Back and forth from Elmendorf AB PAED, Anchorage to Eielson AB PAEI, Fairbanks. You may need to add parking to both.

Blog Entries

Bravo, Rob!!

Will take a look tonight after work, for sure.

Have many fond memories in the Alphasim model, which I may still keep, if only for the B two seat model. Still, time marches on, and this model raises the bar for sure. Among the myriad (and not a single low-vis - hurray!!) schemes out there, I thought I'd post this unique NASA airframe, which as Rob points out, was one of the last uses of this aircraft in a set of unique tow-launch vehicle experiments.

Details of the test programme here: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/h...pse/index.html .

Thanks again, Rob!

DL

Quote Originally Posted by FentiFlier1 View Post
    Thanks Rob, what a lovely model! I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I like the flight model, it feels good. The only thing is that I don't get much of a reaction at the stall speed of around 150 knots when landing. In fact I can actually get the 6 to float above the runway all the way down to 80 knots. Is there anyone who knows how to deal with this?

It is just that this plane is so nice I would love to have an even better FDE (sorry if I sound fussy).

The F-106 had very special and quite extreme dynamics, I was thinking it could make an exciting challenge for one of the FD gurus...

Owen.
    This has always been a problem in FS expecially with delta wing aircraft which should go all wonky and fall out of the sky when you go too slow. The way I've always dealt with it is to simply not go that slow. If my speed over the barrier is supposed to be 180 with a touchdown of 160 then that's what I fly. Sure I can go much slower and the game will let me but where's the fun in that? If someone comes up with a flight model for a delta wing that can do Mach 2+ but go to crap below 160 kts then I'm already standing in line for it.

One thing about this new Dart that I find exciting as a repainter is that Rob has chosen to model the one piece blown canopy. The Alphasim one was supposed to be a late model originally and I painted all the A model textures for that. Then it got switched to the older two-piece and I had to scramble and come up with new schemes and shift some to be used on the B model just before release. So this is very cool.
    :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    This has always been a problem in FS expecially with delta wing aircraft which should go all wonky and fall out of the sky when you go too slow. The way I've always dealt with it is to simply not go that slow. If my speed over the barrier is supposed to be 180 with a touchdown of 160 then that's what I fly. Sure I can go much slower and the game will let me but where's the fun in that? If someone comes up with a flight model for a delta wing that can do Mach 2+ but go to crap below 160 kts then I'm already standing in line for it.

One thing about this new Dart that I find exciting as a repainter is that Rob has chosen to model the one piece blown canopy. The Alphasim one was supposed to be a late model originally and I painted all the A model textures for that. Then it got switched to the older two-piece and I had to scramble and come up with new schemes and shift some to be used on the B model just before release. So this is very cool.
    :ernae:
    That's exactly how I deal with it too - FS needs Suspension of Disbelief! And as I said, the FDE is already very enjoyable.

It's true I can't think of an fsx delta that will enter a vicious stall. I realise what I'm suggesting is "a bit rich" - to be honest with you I'm trying my luck really.
    One fast landing jet with a particularly good FDE is the Milviz T-38, but it isn't a delta.
    But I do hope those who have Knowledge will keep pushing what can be done.

Owen.

Just an FYI with regard to Delta Wings; The aerodynamics aren't extreme. In fact, just about everything I've read about the F-106 states it was a joy to fly. I'll check the Flight Manual for the numbers references though. The "problems" Deltas in general have in the pattern is basically two things.

One, as their alpha goes up, they develop vortices off of the leading edge apex that moves out over the wing, increasing lift. Sort of the fore runner to the strake. But that also increases drag, so much that it can actually be quite non-linear as alpha increases. Which isn't as big a problem today as it was back then without FADEC.

The other is, since they don't have flaps, if you have to raise the nose in the pattern for higher alpha, you actually lose some lift temporarily as the elevons go up and reduce camber to generate the nose up moment. And vice versa if you have to lower the nose. So you really had to fly the approach in a really steady manner and pay very close attention to alpha.

So when I've worked on Delta Wing FDE's, I mostly try to simulate through the drag curve, in the sense that, yes, as your alpha goes up you're gaining a lot of lift, but your drag is going up a hell of a lot faster, so if your in the pattern, will start to act more like a flying air brake and you could literally get behind the power curve very fast. So during the approach you would have to manage your speed and alpha closely. The one thing I've not been able to figure out is how to mimic the initial loss of lift then the gain in lift as you pull up to a new alpha at low speeds, or the sudden increase lift and then over all reduced lift when dropping the nose to a lower alpha in FS. I'm thinking one would have to write a gauge that would control the FDE's E"Elevators" and "Flaps" at the same time as a function of pitch transients and airspeed. But I just don't have that much time to mess around with that stuff these days.

Having said that, I'm so happy to have an FSX Sixer. It's one of my top five favorite planes of all time. Thanks Rob.

Great shots Noddy!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Beautiful shots Noddy, as always.

Shockwave landing & taxi lights setup:

Aircraft.cfg :
    [LIGHTS]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    light.0 = 2 12.75, 0.00, 3.40, fx_strobe
    light.X =10 -14.00, 0.00, 2.00, fx_vclight
    light.1 = 5, 27.00, -1.23, -3.66, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old
    light.2 = 6, -0.30, -7.65, -3.97, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old
    light.3 = 6, -0.30, 7.65, -3.97, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old

Panel.cfg :
    [Vcockpit04]
    file=
    Background_color=0,0,0
    size_mm=512,512
    position=7
    visible=1
    ident=G1000
    pixel_size=512,512
    texture=$pan4

gauge00=Radar!radarscreen, 0, 0, 512, 512
    gauge01=venom!Hunter smoke, 0, 0, 10, 10
    gauge02=FlyingStations!Hook, 0,0,9,9
    gauge03=Shockwave_Lights!SW Lights_gear, 0, 0 ,20,20
    gauge04=Shockwave_Lights!SW Lights_taxi_gear, 0, 0 ,20,20

Thank you for the light CFG. Henk, and the screenshot.

Afterburner sounds?

Rob tank you so much for this gift!

It´s always been one of my favorite jets, as I owned it as plastic kits (Hasegawa and Monogram).
    Is there any easy fix (cfg-wise) to get an afterburner sound?

Cheers, Thilo

MAGIC!

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by FentiFlier1 View Post
    Work in progress:
    Nice!
    Cheers,
    Dave

Zsolt ! :ernae: Mike

Nice repaints guys, keep them coming!

Here is a favorite (49th FIS, Griffiths AFB).

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/805/pics/3_1.jpg
    http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...F-106_04-1.jpg

Also, a good article by Jack Broughton on the Century Series (he flew all of them):

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/Mag...12century.aspx

NJ ANG?????