Saitek X52 Profile Editor

Thread: Saitek X52 Profile Editor

Smile Saitek X52 Profile Editor

Hello. My old Sidewinder finally gave out a couple of months ago, so I thought I would upgrade to a Saitek X52. I installed the latest drivers from the Saitek website for Windows 7 64-bit. 6.0.4.1 for the drivers, and 7.0.2.7 for the Smart Technology. It worked fine without a profile loaded, but I just recently had time to start working on a profile for FS2004.

I programmed a few commands to start, and everything works fine for a minute or two, then the selected commands stop responding to the joystick (keyboard commands still work). It gets worse. Sometimes FS2004 will not close at all. Sometimes an attempt to restart FS2004 fails. Any attempt to use the Profile Editor also fails. With these failures, the computer also locks up completely, and I have to shut down with the power button. Everything's dandy when I restart, at least until I load the profile or the editor again.

There is no malware on my computer. I re-formatted right before I started using the profile editor. I Googled and found some others were having the same trouble, and it was suggested that they uninstall the drivers and Smart Technology, re-install, and everything would be fine. It's not.

Any ideas? Pleeeease?

Thanks.

Pat

I have the same system. Can't you simply make controller assignments with FS9? I've used the various software before, but always ran into problems.....NC

Yeah, I guess I'll have to until I can figure something out. But I was looking forward to never using the keyboard again. Thanks.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I have the same system. Can't you simply make controller assignments with FS9? I've used the various software before, but always ran into problems.....NC
    I have the same controller (PRO Version) and ran into the same issues. Just do what Navy Chief suggested... nothing else seems to work.

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

You can delete the profiler and the drivers, Windows and FS9 will take care of it just fine. There are enough buttons , sliders, etc on the X52 to cover nearly everything, just assign them within FS9. Don't forget to add a wee bit of deadzone to the three axis of the main joystick handle.

Thanks, guys. It just seems strange that they would release the software for Windows 7 64-bit systems before checking whether it works or not. I did send a whiny message at their website, and was promised a prompt reply. Right.

I've tried assigning the sliders and rotators to mixture, prop, etc., but FS2004 doesn't seem to recognize them. Ditto for the second main trigger level. So that leaves me with about 20 buttons and the hat switches.

Oh well, onward and upward. Thanks again.

Pat

I don't use the profiles because I did not like the way the configuration switching worked.
    I use a registered copy of FSUIPC and can assign anything that clicks or moves on my Saitek Yoke and two quadrants.
    Best of all I can make the assignments aircraft specific, so that sometimes a lever might be a trim axis and sometimes it is a mixture axis. No user action required...just load the aircraft and FSUIPC takes care of the rest.

Cheers
    Stefan

Thanks, Stefan. I'm too mad right now to sink any more money into this thing, took me years to get up the nerve to even buy a new stick. Maybe I'll calm down soon and try your idea. How much is FSUIPC?

Pat

[QUOTE=patful;778337]Thanks, guys. It just seems strange that they would release the software for Windows 7 64-bit systems before checking whether it works or not. I did send a whiny message at their website, and was promised a prompt reply. Right.

I've tried assigning the sliders and rotators to mixture, prop, etc., but FS2004 doesn't seem to recognize them. Ditto for the second main trigger level. So that leaves me with about 20 buttons and the hat switches.

Oh well, onward and upward. Thanks again.

Pat[/QUOTE

Have you tried going to the control panel, opening the game controllers then joystick from there and see if its properly installed?

Yes, Terry, everything on the stick/throttle works. But nothing happens when I try to assign the sliders/rotators to a command in FS2004. Maybe because I don't have FSUIPC? Thanks.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    Yes, Terry, everything on the stick/throttle works. But nothing happens when I try to assign the sliders/rotators to a command in FS2004. Maybe because I don't have FSUIPC? Thanks.

Pat

You need the free version installed. The pay version is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    You need the free version installed. The pay version is an option.
    Thanks, Terry. That didn't really work either. The only slider/rotary I can get to work in the simulator is the x rotation. Bizarre. Maybe I need to uninstall all of the Saitek software/drivers. I'll get to that tomorrow. Thanks again.

Pat

When I plugged in my X-52 on this W7 machine, I did so without using the CD first. But while I had it plugged in, I pulled up the Windows Update utility and it found the current drivers and installed them.

You can assign the rotary knobs and the slider to several different variables in FS without needing FSUIPC. When I was using mine, I had the pitch and mix assigned to the knobs, and spoilers were on the slider. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes on your descents when you can raise your spoilers only 25% or so to slow yourself down without dropping out of the sky.

To assign something like Mixture to one of the knobs, go to Settings > Assignments > Joystick Axes tab. You then make the assignment just like you do when you assign keys to other functions. Select the assignment, click the Change Assignment button, then just move the knob. FS will register this just like it does when you change a key assignment. Just be sure to test to see if you need to check the reverse axis option. You do on the slider/spoiler combo.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks, Tom. I uninstalled the Smart Technology, uninstalled the stick, and then let Windows install it. I assigned the sliders and rotaries to the flaps, mixture, and prop. Even goofier than before. Now the y rotation is controlling the rudder. When I looked at the fs9.cfg file, there are three separate joystick_main entries, each with different assignments. I'm guessing that's my problem. Guess I'll have to delete the cfg file and start over. Call me embarrassed. Thanks again. Pat

X-52 PRO AND PROFILES

Patful,

I appreciate your frustration. Have been through the loop in the past.

For me the answer always has to be FUISPC by the genius Dowson. It is worth shelling out the few dollars to get a programme that absolutely grips your controller and delivers silk smooth response to your SAITEK X-52 Pro.

You must, of course, read the instructions that come with it. The key thing is to eliminate any conflict between the FS9 control set-up and what you want FSUIPC to perform.

Always one for the simple solution:

I leave all key press settings as they are in the existing FS9 set-up and only add addtl key presses to the existing set-up in FS9 as reqd.

I remove all axis set-ups in the FS9 dialog set-up and set up FSUIPC for all of the control axis I use - and then go to the calibration pages to calibrate every axis set up. Note that toe-brakes axis must be set up with the 'reverse' box ticked.

Hope this helps . . . . .

Mal

Thanks, Mal. Deleting the CFG file made no difference. The slider/rotary assignments that I have made show up in the CFG, they just don't work in the simulator. From what I gather, other people have no trouble with this. Is everyone using Windows 7 64-bit? I've always thought about purchasing FSUIPC for FSMetar, but am wary of anything working with my system now. Bizarre stuff indeed.

Pat

I remember my rudder getting reassigned to something different when I started using X-52. The easiest thing to do is just go through and make sure that the rudder, pitch and rool are all assigned as they should be, using the same method as before.

As for the other entries, those are probably from previous controllers. Those sections will come in handy if you ever decide to go back to a different stick - that way you won't have to reassign everything again.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks, Tom. I went ahead and purchased a key for FSUIPC. Using FSUIPC, my axis assignments are now working for the X Rotation and Slider. Unfortunately, the rotary on the top right of the throttle (Y Rotation) and the trim wheel on the middle of the throttle are still not recognized. The mode switch on the stick handle also is not recognized. They work fine in the Properties tab of the Joystick. Weird and getting weirder.

Pat

I never used the Mode switch - I think it only works with the profiler. All it does for me is change the color of one light. By the way, I'll give you a suggestion for the second hat sw: set up and down for the elevator trim, and set the l/r motion to adjust the autopilot heading bug. There are so many planes that require frequent elevator trim adjustments that using the hat switch makes perfect sense. But since aileron trim is almost never used (at least by me), I decided to use the l/r for something else. I also used two of the toggles under the stick - one for the Concorde Nose and one for cowl flaps.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Hi Pat,

with the registered version of FSUIPC you should now have a new tab called something like axis assignments. When you click on that and then the RESCAN button and then move the rotary you should see the numbers move and then be able to select the function you want to use the new axis for.

Cheers
    Stefan

Thanks, Tom and Stefan. I hadn't thought of using a hat switch for the various trims. The rotary on top of the throttle showed up in FS2004's axis assignments tab before I purchased FSUIPC, though the command never worked. But it does not show up at all when I move it in FSUIPC's axis assignment tab, no matter how many times I hit "Rescan". And everything works in the X52's Properties tab, so it can't be a problem with the stick. I guess I just have an oddball system here.

Pat

X-52 Pro Setup

Pat,
    If it is any consolation to you - I have never been able to utilise the axis on the top of or on the side of the throttle and I have been using X-52 Pro since it came out.
    By the way, regarding your point about not being able to asign an axis to the 'hat' control on the throttle. Any movement (ie vert or horiz) of this hat will register as a key stroke in FSUIPC and also in FS9s' control regime. Personally I use the hat control on the flt stick to control trim for elevators and rudder. Although, having seen the remarks made in this thread regarding the freq of use of rudder trim, I have to agree.
    Hope this helps.
    Good move getting FSUIPC, I could not operate without it.
    Mal

Thanks, Mal. That helped tremendously. I just needed somebody to tell me the top rotator, the wheel on the throttle, and the mode switch didn't work for them either. Now I can quit worrying that something's wrong with my system and get busy programming the stick. Thanks, everyone! :salute:

Pat

Members who have read this thread: 1