Windows 7 issues

Thread: Windows 7 issues

Windows 7 issues

This has probably been covered a hundered times but the threads I find are older with conflicting answers so I'll ask anyway....

Will CFS2 run cleanly in Win 7?

Has anyone had any issues with the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar in Win 7?

My current XP comp is running between 70 and 25 FPS depending on how many and what type of planes are on screen and because of it's memory and processor limitations I would love to upgrade to a Win 7 with 8 Gbs RAM with atl least an I5 processor and use the 4Gbs patch to get the full 4 gigs used. I'm hoping this upgrade will give me at least 100-125 Fps.

CFS2 WILL run cleanly in windows 7. About the only issue which I've come across that can't be fixed is there are a couple of panels that just won't work (Seems to be multi view set ups). Solution? Get another of the fine panels available. Also some panel makers have started making fully compatible W7 panels

The biggest issue was making sure the permissions were set correctly on the CFS2 Root folder. (Right click>properties>security>userID>edit>Make sure full control is selected)

Ah, Ian got there first. Nice and succinct.

Win7 problems!

This has come up before so here are a couple of threads I saved for reference on the subject.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...weaks-by-Allen

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...2-on-windows-7

The panel problem Ian refers to may be the same resolution issue discussed in the first link. Win 7 just doesn't like 1024x768 bmps. Try something smaller like 800x600 and 640x480. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen. I found out that Thrustmaster does have driver updates for win 7 so the Cougar will work. So now the search begins for a good PC LOL

The only difference I've noticed with win 7 is, in free flight, it will hang up if you switch aircraft while in free flight.

For me, the disappointing part is, I've been stuck with the same frame rate limit through 3 different computers; an HP Pavilion running XP, an Emachine running Vista, and now a Toshiba laptop with dual core processor running win 7, have all maxed out at 58 fps. And I know the Toshiba is much faster and has much more RAM than the previous two, and does run CFS3 much faster. But no significant improvement in CFS2, except the frame rate seems to decrease less under a load. And I still have major frame rate problems with many of the quality addon aircrafts and ships. I don't get it.

Did youinstall an actual graphics card driver? As I know Windows 7 comes with a graphic card driver during the installation process, but this driver isn’t very powerful. I had the same problems after installing Windows 7 (and after installingWindows 8 also), but the problem get solved after installing an actual driver. All my flight simulators are working smooth with my 64 bit operating system and all settings are maxed out.
    Wolfi

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
    Did youinstall an actual graphics card driver? As I know Windows 7 comes with agraphic card driver during the installation process, but this driver isn’t verypowerful. I had the same problems after installing Windows 7 (and after installingWindows 8 also), but the problem get solved after installing an actual driver. Allmy flight simulators are working smooth with my 64 bit operating system andall settings are maxed out.
    Wolfi
    Hi Wolfi,

No, I haven't installed a graphics driver. If it worked for you, it might work for me. I'll try it. Thanks for the advice.

Ettico,

Also make sure you're using the 4Gb patch that allows CFS2 to utilize 4Gb RAM instead of just the stock 2Gb.