Announcement from Virtavia about B-36 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Announcement from Virtavia about B-36

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    One would hope that if it were to have been re-worked for re-release the FSX model would contain features such as bump mapping, VC self-shading etc, which according to the product page it does. Not sure about 3D guages though, which many have come to expect.

Andy
    When I said my guess would be that it hasn't been updated, I meant updated from what was available for FSX six years ago. I bought this model from Alphasim six years ago, and it included an FS9 model and a native FSX model. The FSX model came with a separate VC model from the exterior model, and it came with bump mapping.

The VC pics that are shown in the re-release are the same VC as what I have. They are 2D guages, and the cockpit window frame paint is the biggest give away that it hasn't been updated. The window frame paint is from a swatch texture sheet, which has no definition.

I'm going to stick my neck out here. I actually like this old girl and I very much doubt there will ever be another developer modelling the B-36 to current standards so if you want it, get it. The worst thing about it is the textures (sorry if that offends anyone here) which are really not up to much IMHO, neither are the main fuselage bump files. But there are a few repaints out there which will make it look really good, and the vc is at least workable.

Attachment 79650

Like someone on the FS2004 forum, I saw one when I guess I was about 9 years old, going over the house at about 500 feet - that was nearly 60 years ago and I can still remember what an awesome and inspiring sight it was.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Not a modeler, so, I don't know, but, I'm under the impression that FSX "Native" planes have seperate exterior and interior models. Is that accurate?
    If so, are there two models in the model folders? I'd think that would at least be an indication of some rework.

Just curious, my simming allotment is spoken for. At least for quite a while....Don
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP wet), EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 16GB DDR3-2400,
    128GB SAMSUNG 830-Win 7 Ult x64, 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro-FS9/FSX/P3D, WD 1TB Black-FS98, ROF, etc. WD Black 2TB-Storage/Backup,

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    I'm going to stick my neck out here. I actually like this old girl and I very much doubt there will ever be another developer modelling the B-36 to current standards so if you want it, get it.
    DaveQ

I like it too, DaveQ. That it's not up to current FSX "standards" isn't really a big deal, it's still fun, and there's still plenty of fantasy to be gotten out of it. Where did you get the paint in your screenie?

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    Not a modeler, so, I don't know, but, I'm under the impression that FSX "Native" planes have seperate exterior and interior models. Is that accurate?
    If so, are there two models in the model folders? I'd think that would at least be an indication of some rework.

Just curious, my simming allotment is spoken for. At least for quite a while....Don
    reference my post just prior to DaveQ's post.

I guess I should have read beyond: "When I said my guess would be that it hasn't been updated" eh?
    HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E, i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP wet), EVGA GTX 970 FTW, 16GB DDR3-2400,
    128GB SAMSUNG 830-Win 7 Ult x64, 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro-FS9/FSX/P3D, WD 1TB Black-FS98, ROF, etc. WD Black 2TB-Storage/Backup,

Quote Originally Posted by fxsttcb View Post
    I guess I should have read beyond: "When I said my guess would be that it hasn't been updated" eh?
    Lol. I'll try to be more interesting with my initial sentences.

Looks great from the outside!

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Looks great from the outside!
    As do most women when you are drunk

Whoops

I'm going to stick my neck out here...... there are a few repaints out there which will make it look really good.....
    I really like this one....

Tommy

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

I dug up my 36 again , dated 5/10/2007 FSXV2 18,524KB .. I install it and see/check or any difference .

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    I like it too, DaveQ. That it's not up to current FSX "standards" isn't really a big deal, it's still fun, and there's still plenty of fantasy to be gotten out of it. Where did you get the paint in your screenie?
    It's one I did a few years ago - I reworked the paintkit and the bump files. But don't remember whether I published this one. I had a go at adding some of the fuselage stress wrinkles into the bump files this afternoon and it seems to work so might put this out. I also think Pierre Lheureux did some nice paints for this as well.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

OK this is what the old FS9 had to offer , course old style gauge original cockpit , works in FSX but requires grabbing bits and piece from the 2007 FSX V2 release , course below the then 3rD party painter . Very talented ... sorry forgot his name .

Now with the recent Virtavia release is different in respect to only different models - My 2007 FSX-Version 2 has only one model and the gun turret will not retract making this , what was called a 'Light Peacemaker' , i pulled my B-36 info and even found a colour photo of this very aircraft .. model No. or type ?
    either
    RB-36H-55 serial 52-1382 Construction No.329 AF5793 27 Ocy 52
    B-36J-10 serial 52-2826 Construction No.382 as above , second last B-36 built

Conclusion , new to the aircraft , your paying for a B variant without Jets and extra paints .
    :cost1:

It's one I did a few years ago - I reworked the paintkit and the bump files. But don't remember whether I published this one. I had a go at adding some of the fuselage stress wrinkles into the bump files this afternoon and it seems to work so might put this out. I also think Pierre Lheureux did some nice paints for this as well.

DaveQ

I remember the fuselage stress wrinkles; you sent me some of your work-in-progress files to look at. You also had a weather beaten version of BM-041 that had a lot of water staining effects too; not the best screen capture, but you can see some of it the image below.

Pierre Lheureux...the B-36 bullet hole paint schemes....I've got them all....

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    OK

Now with the recent Virtavia release is different in respect to only different models - My 2007 FSX-Version 2 has only one model and the gun turret will not retract making this , what was called a 'Light Peacemaker' , i pulled my B-36 info and even found a colour photo of this very aircraft .. model No. or type ?
    either
    RB-36H-55 serial 52-1382 Construction No.329 AF5793 27 Ocy 52
    B-36J-10 serial 52-2826 Construction No.382 as above , second last B-36 built

Conclusion , new to the aircraft , your paying for a B variant without Jets and extra paints .
    :cost1:
    Ian, maybe you should look again for the B variant model. My Alphasim B-36 came with two models in the package. A B-36H and a B-36B.

Ian, maybe you should look again for the B variant model. My Alphasim B-36 came with two models in the package. A B-36H and a B-36B.
    From Alphasim , file name ALPHA B-36 Peacemaker FSX v2 ... Dated 5/10/2007 18,524KB ... One model only ? what is it the date on your d/load .

EDIT : went back to my old FS9 d/load and again only one model ... don't understand that ?

ALPHA B-36 Peacemaker FSXv2_1

9/12/2007

Ian, where did you get the "circle X" and "092" paints from?

Ian, where did you get the "circle X" and "092" paints from?
    Tommy listed the name "Pierre Lheureux" from Avsim or Flightsim.com - should be easy to find under that name - , these paints are on the FS9 model but still worked in FSX , fact is never had a 'B' variant ! right from the very start .

I wonder if there was a change i missed within the 2 month release dates we have , surely not ?

ALPHA B-36 Peacemaker FSXv2_1

9/12/2007
    Arrr just noticed , you are FSXv2_1 , i missed the patch !

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Arrr just noticed , you are FSXv2_1 , i missed the patch !
    It wasn't a patch. It was a full update. FSX native, two models, exterior and interior, in the model folders, full bump mapping folders in main aircraft folder, and both models, B & H.

On top of aircraft.cfg :

// FSX ALPHASIM B-36H Peacemaker Ver 1.2 (This signifies the version 2.1 package, with the updated FSX models, v 1.2)
    // DD, 13th March 08, added the -B variant
    // PP, 1st Apr 08, changed C to B
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    It wasn't a patch. It was a full update. FSX native, two models, exterior and interior, in the model folders, full bump mapping folders in main aircraft folder, and both models, B & H.

On top of aircraft.cfg :

// FSX ALPHASIM B-36H Peacemaker Ver 1.2 (This signifies the version 2.1 package, with the updated FSX models, v 1.2)
    // DD, 13th March 08, added the -B variant
    // PP, 1st Apr 08, changed C to B
    Well that obviously explains why i'm missing so much , twas a patch and updated models i missed , i'll contact Virtavia and see what they can do for me , thanks for clearing that up Modelr

There we go .. all up and running , Phil at Virtavia had a replied within a hour , great .. talk about a Peacemaker :salute:

Next Month is the North American B-45 Tornado ..

It's one I did a few years ago - I reworked the paintkit and the bump files. But don't remember whether I published this one. I had a go at adding some of the fuselage stress wrinkles into the bump files this afternoon and it seems to work so might put this out.
    Dave your red tail BM-041 is still available in avsim's FSX library. Please do reload this repaint, if and when you are satisfied with the fuselage stress wrinkles. Your revised bump files are awesome; revising / creating bump files for me has always been a show stopper.

Here's the original thread; it's hard to believe it's been that many years....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nt-up-on-Avsim

In the thread above, there is a second link to another of your B-36 repaints that seems to be missing from Avsim's library.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Dave Q's repaints flying in formation......

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510