AS Hunter Repaint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AS Hunter Repaint

That would be the boxart of the 1/72 scale Revell Hawker Hunter FGA9/FGA58A kit (#04186), which was discontinued a couple of years ago. Still available with the better modelling stockist, and on Ebay, of course. XD

Just kidding! Bruce Martin did the 1TWU textures for the Alphasim Hunter, I don't know if they are available here, but they are over at Avsim, as part of his fs2004/fsx_british_hunter_texture_pack_02_fga9_and_fr10.z ip (two differeht packs containing the same repaints, respectively for FS9 and FSX).

FSX pack: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=136775
    FS9 pack: http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=136776

Technically, of course, XF418 - subject of that repaint - was an F6A rather than an FGA9, but that's just me being slightly pedantic... ;p

Regards,

Nikko

I have that pack but the only one similar to it is the one with the orange stripes. or is that the hunter im after.

*Breaks cover to make single post*Am I missing something obvious? That scheme is one of the standard schemes in Dave Garwood's original FGA9 pack isn't it?*Dives back under cover*
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    *Breaks cover to make single post*Am I missing something obvious? That scheme is one of the standard schemes in Dave Garwood's original FGA9 pack isn't it?*Dives back under cover*
    I havent got that one but im tempted.

It should be this one: http://library.avsim.net/zipshow.php...e=image%2Fjpeg

The repaint is marked as XF419 in the readme/aircraft.cfg file, but it is actually XF418, albeit with the earlier-style D-roundels rather than the B-roundels she is typically represented with: http://www.ukserials.com/images/ukimages/xf418.jpg

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burnside View Post
    I havent got that one but im tempted.
    DO be tempted!
    Of course, being a freeware model, it'll cost you a fortune - comes with authentic sounds too.

As 'Undercover Andy' would probably add; It's probably the best Hunter available and there are separate packs for 2 seater/trainer also.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    DO be tempted!
    Of course, being a freeware model, it'll cost you a fortune - comes with authentic sounds too.

As 'Undercover Andy' would probably add; It's probably the best Hunter available and there are separate packs for 2 seater/trainer also.
    I'll second that! I have both the payware Alphasim Hunter and Dave Garwood's Hunter Trainers. Once I saw how detailed and elaborate Dave's models were, I went back and snagged them all. Dave's Hunters are also easy on frames, and his models cover numerous variants that weren't included in the Alphasim Hunter package. BOTH are excellent, don't get me wrong, but I like a variety and Dave's Hunters are FREE!

BB686:USA-flag:
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

oh yes, another +1 for Daves Hunters, they're just fantastic! i have a real soft spot for the Hunter... talk about a beautiful engine note and what a sound when they enter a dive... that blue note is unforgettable, though not as unforgettable as a meatbox blue-note...

[Rant mode] Really gets my goat when its assumed payware is better than a fully researched freeware project, just because its payware.[/rant mode]

Dave's Hunters were developed with assistance of Tangmere museum, and the flight model verified by actual Hunter pilots. Nearly 9 years on, still good. Only thing I miss in the trainers is the variant with Buccaneer instrument fit we had at Honington. (There being no Bucc trainer, adapted Hunters did job of initial familiarisation)

Ttfn

Pete

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    [Rant mode] Really gets my goat when its assumed payware is better than a fully researched freeware project, just because its payware.[/rant mode]

Dave's Hunters were developed with assistance of Tangmere museum, and the flight model verified by actual Hunter pilots. Nearly 9 years on, still good. Only thing I miss in the trainers is the variant with Buccaneer instrument fit we had at Honington. (There being no Bucc trainer, adapted Hunters did job of initial familiarisation)

Ttfn

Pete
    Me too, Pete!

Why is it that having a price-tag is automatiacally interpreted as an indication of quality?

This is not a knock at payware products. There are many fine products of exceptional workmanship.

Rather, it is a questioning of attitude.
    The very fact that someone undertakes a project above and beyond personal gain is often indicative of a labour of love. It is then, that human beings regularly excel themselves.

It would be a sad world, were we all blind to true brilliance and elan.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Thats the only thing I dont like about the AS Hunter lack of liverys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burnside View Post
    Thats the only thing I dont like about the AS Hunter lack of liverys.
    So 'only' 50+ repaints is not enough for you???????
    And do get hold of Dave Garwood's exceptional packages, you'll find plenty of repaints for those.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Ttfn

Pete
    Don't get me wrong here... I never assumed that the ALPHA Hunter was the ULTIMATE representation of the Hawker Hunter, as stated before, I like a little variety. Each model, be it the ALPHA Hunter or Dave Garwood's Hunter has its own characteristics and both are superb representations of the real deal. I have a tendancy to "bone-up" on knowledge of the planes in my FS livery after downloading and flying same. Besides... I have always had a soft spot for the Hawker Hunter, with it's unique shape and clean lines. Britian's jet version of the Spitfire... IMO.:salute:

And yes... there are a TON of repaints for the ALPHA Hunter, which are all very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Besides... I have always had a soft spot for the Hawker Hunter, with it's unique shape and clean lines.

Thankfully the large spike in the main landing gear bay never connected with any of my soft spots (used for locating wheel when gear up)...

Spent a great deal of my RAF apprentice days taking the school Hunters apart, then putting them back together again...just when I thought I'd get to work on something new and shiney I got 208 sqn at Honington, Buccs, and a couple of 2-seat Hunters for pilot training....ran into live Hunters' again a few years later at Scampton, bit like the Canberra, its one of those planes thats a 'jack of all trades'

ttfn

Pete

Nothing beats hands on experience, mate. And I thought I was fairly knowledgeable after reading up on the Hunter extensively. And throughally, no large spikes in the main landing gear bay poking any "soft spots" here... LOL!:salute:

i managed to bang my head on the underside of the wing at RIAT last year while i was scurrying round it

on a side note: you sods, i'm looking at the paintkit and thinking of my usual modernisation program

That's good news, Tiger. The fact that you're looking at the paint kit, et al... Not the fact that you crowned yourself on the underside of an aircraft wing at RIAT. HA!

wasn't the first time i've whacked my head on a wing, nor do i suspect it'll be the last

anyways, just firing up photoshop to take a look at the textures to see how much i can 'tweak' it...

Getting the thread ever so slightly back on track with a couple of shots of Dave Garwood's 1 TWU Hunter..

Attachment 79619Attachment 79620

ttfn

Pete

Ps, Matt, I've got a scar down middle of my back caused by the 'shark's fin' TACAN antenna on underside of Buccaneer... oo-er...
    whoever said being an aeroplane tech was a 'safe' job!!!

Ps, Matt, I've got a scar down middle of my back caused by the 'shark's fin' TACAN antenna on underside of Buccaneer... oo-er...
    whoever said being an aeroplane tech was a 'safe' job!!!
    ouch, yeah that Antenna seemed to claim a few backs if i recall...

Attachment 79656

slowly making progress on the Dave Garwood Hunter, new inlet shading, under the tailplane etc... just modernising it a bit....

And that is how I lost my first job on day 1

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    wasn't the first time i've whacked my head on a wing, nor do i suspect it'll be the last

anyways, just firing up photoshop to take a look at the textures to see how much i can 'tweak' it...
    My first job was at KLOU refueling GA aircraft at one of the flight companies. I'm 6'2" and was 16 years old...I would get disatracted by all the cool aircraft and walk right into the wing of a Cessna.......

By the end of the day they figured I'd end up with a dented head or concussion if I came back.....

Ironically, 25 years later I ended up back there as their part time IT guy. (great 2nd job, i could get paid with money or with flying hours)

i just couldn't resist doing this to DG's Hunter... looks right though...

Attachment 79663

and imagine the noise from this;

Attachment 79664

Ahhh, the magnificent "Red Arrows". The paint scheme looks like it belongs on that Hunter, Matt. Very nice!

When Denver International Airport opened, there was a huge air show and the Red Arrows were in attendance. The Canadian Snowbirds, as well as the US Navy Blue Angels and the US Air Force Thunderbirds also performed. Lots of static displays, a C-5A, an F-117 Nighthawk... but no Hunters...:~( Maybe it's time to re-vive the old girl altogether.

Members who have read this thread: 3