Metzgurgva DC-3 files?

Thread: Metzgurgva DC-3 files?

Metzgurgva DC-3 files?

I'm trying to track down the metzgurgva flight dynamics tweaks for the DC-3. I presume these will be in the form of replacement cfg and air files, but it seems the site is down.
    Does anyone know if these files can be downloaded anywhere else?
    Thanks for any help on this! :salute:

Sorry of being no help, but most interesting! For which DC-3 is this?

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Try dc3airways.com every thing for DC3s!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

I tried searching all the regular sites for Alexander Metzger but none of his redos of the stock FS aircraft fd's come up.

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Sorry of being no help, but most interesting! For which DC-3 is this?

Cheers,
    Mark
    Well I think they were designed to improve the default, but could also be applied to Manfred Jahn's C-47 (as it is built on the default DC-3 flight dynamics) or I guess any other versions (Just Flight, MAAM) if you thought they gave a 'better' result. I'm just curious to try them.

Thanks Marvin, I will try dc3airways.com

I have tried them and they are simply modified cfg files. For the DC-3 they really reduced its tendency to float along the runway instead of touching down.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If you are looking for a DC-3 FDX by Alexander M. Metzger we have got two new ones for you, one civilian and one military (see attachment). Both are betas; Alexander has been developing them as part of our current C-117D project (pictured below) and a general C-47 update including a custom VC. You need the original C-47 basepack (C47BASEPACK.ZIP) from Flightsim for them to work. Please post any feedback to this thread.

Yea, a super DC-3, (Navy and Marine R4D-8)
    USMC Retired SEMPER FI:USA-flag:

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    If you are looking for a DC-3 FDX by Alexander M. Metzger we have got two new ones for you, one civilian and one military (see attachment). Both are betas; Alexander has been developing them as part of our current C-117D project (pictured below) and a general C-47 update including a custom VC. You need the original C-47 basepack (C47BASEPACK.ZIP) from Flightsim for them to work. Please post any feedback to this thread.
    Very good Manfred, these should be even better than what I was searching for - I will certainly give them a try - thank you. :salute:

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

First impressions - only tried dropping the new files in the default DC-3 so far.
    It feels more stable - which was my main whinge with the default: it would take off and land like a vintage airliner, but in mid-flight it would sometimes get tossed about as if it was an ultralight!

Using the Sperry and trimming it for level flight, I noticed it needs about -2 elevator trim. At this point the external view also shows it flying with a nose-down attitude. There is also a small audible tyre squeak when it first loads - which usually suggests a contact point issue.

Will post again after a bit more flying (and also for the C-47).
    thanks again Manfred & Alexander.

Right, thanks. It's probably the static_pitch that needs to be adjusted in the default DC-3 (when flying Alexander's cfg). The C-47 has a firmer sit, as can be seen when switching from Slew to exterior view and vice versa.

Now, the C-47. Slight problem here in that it won't start (cold in Air Hauler). Nor will it re-start if you switch off in vanilla FSX.
    I thought there must be some switch I just wasn't turning on in the cockpit, but no.
    So I went back to the C-47 basepack cfg and air files, and there's no problem. Ctrl E and it fires up happily. switch off, restart - no problem.
    So then I tried the basepack cfg with the new air file. Now for a cold/restart, you need to have the throttle cracked (ie. it won't start with the throttle fully closed), but having done that, it starts fine.
    So I can only conclude that something in the new cfg is preventing a cold/restart solution.

Oh and with the C-47 basepack files, you don't get any tyre 'chirp' when it first loads, but you do with the new ones.
    Thanks

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nice looking DC3 where can I get this Navy one?

Quote Originally Posted by richoday View Post
    Nice looking DC3 where can I get this Navy one?
    Well, ...

As per post #7, this is a picture of the C-117D (note the "straight tail" in the picture) that, as Mr. Jahn posted, is currently in beta testing and will be released at some point in the future.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dain Arns View Post
    Well, ...

As per post #7, this is a picture of the C-117D (note the "straight tail" in the picture) that, as Mr. Jahn posted, is currently in beta testing and will be released at some point in the future.
    Ahh yes,

As I regress to #7, I see where he makes mention of a beta test for it. Thanks Dain for that nugget of info and a drop of the secret duck to ya!!!!

Attachment 79354

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    First impressions ... default DC-3 ...
    It feels more stable - which was my main whinge with the default: it would take off and land like a vintage airliner, but in mid-flight it would sometimes get tossed about as if it was an ultralight!

Using the Sperry and trimming it for level flight, I noticed it needs about -2 elevator trim. At this point the external view also shows it flying with a nose-down attitude. There is also a small audible tyre squeak when it first loads - which usually suggests a contact point issue.
    Portia911Now, the C-47. Slight problem here in that it won't start (cold in Air Hauler). Nor will it re-start if you switch off in vanilla FSX. I thought there must be some switch I just wasn't turning on in the cockpit, but no.So I went back to the C-47 basepack cfg and air files, and there's no problem. Ctrl E and it fires up happily. switch off, restart - no problem.So then I tried the basepack cfg with the new air file. Now for a cold/restart, you need to have the throttle cracked (ie. it won't start with the throttle fully closed), but having done that, it starts fine.So I can only conclude that something in the new cfg is preventing a cold/restart solution. Oh and with the C-47 basepack files, you don't get any tyre 'chirp' when it first loads, but you do with the new ones.
    Yes, throttle should be cracked at startup.

Re trim and nose-down issue, Alexander would like to know at what speed exactly?

He has changed the static pitch on the DC-3, updated zip now available here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51024107/FDX_DC3_C47.zip

Anything else, please let us know.

Yes, throttle should be cracked at startup.
    Hi Manfred,
    Lest there be any misunderstanding, no amount of cracked throttle (not even full throttle) will allow cold start or restart with the new cfg file. I could only get the cracked throttle approach to work when using Alexander's new air file with your original (basepack) cfg.

I will try the attached DC-3 files and make a note of airspeed (and height) for level flight.
    Thanks.

bump!

Bumping this thread in the hope this is of some use to Manfred and Alexander . . .

I tried the adjusted DC-3 cfg file (dropbox link in post #17), it helped the nose-down problem quite a bit. I was flying level @ 6500', speed=167 knots; elevator trim= -2.1; 2345 rpm; MP=35.7

Following this - and seeing the extent of Alexander's adjustment to static_pitch - I tweaked it a little more (to 11.8). Nothing scientific here, of course, just what 'looks' ok to my eye.

On the C-47, I finally tracked down the problem in the cfg that was preventing cold starts or restarting. It was the power_scalar value being adjusted too low (0.946). I fiddled with this coming down from the default of 1.000 and found the lowest value that would still allow a restart was 0.966
    I also noticed an effects file mentioned in the new cfg: "fx_engstart_c47", but could not see where this was part of the basepack, so I commented that line out and reverted to the fx_engstrt_jenny.

Thanks again for your ongoing efforts to improve the fdx for these great aircraft! :salute:

Many thanks, Portia, for your test flights. I have passed your comments on to Alexander.

The engine start fx is still experimental.

2345 rpm; MP=35.7 - Isn't that a little high for cruise settings in the DC-3, approx 2100 rpm and 30-32 in MP is what I've seen in most POH and normally what I use in FSX. Should give you an IAS of around 140 knt. 2300 rpm and 36 in MP would be climb settings after takeoff.

Al

Re the non starting.

This was a problem with the MaamSim DC3 which was traced to the

normalized_starter_torque setting= in the [piston_engine] section of the aircraft.cfg file.

The solution was to raise this number to 1.5, this would solve the problem without affecting
    the engine performance settings.

I notice that the figures in these files are 0.25 and 0.3 and I wonder if this solution would apply
    here too.

Regards,
    Nick.