Something I'm working on for fun -- What-If?

Thread: Something I'm working on for fun -- What-If?

Something I'm working on for fun -- What-If?

I love the Airspeed Ambassador. There, I said it. Such a cool propliner -- as has been noted, it's like a half-scale Connie. And the D-GHHH Simulationware representation is excellent. Excellent, apart from the panel-only cockpit that is, frankly, showing it's 2004-or-so vintage.

So I decided to do something about it.

Attachment 78395

Using the original panel as a starting point, I merged it with the FSO Beech 18 for the rest of the panel, switchgear, ECU and some instruments, added more instruments (engine and such) from the Team 1049 Constellation, and the 2-D cockpit views from the Howard 500. The Howard surround views are temporary, as I will be using them as a template for a better Ambassador cockpit. I also have to tweak the background image to correct the awful bleed through on the glareshield; this was the panel's first flight, as it were.

While the picture shows American instrumentation (for a fictional Curtiss license-built R3350-powered version -- I tweaked the FDE for that), I also have a British-instrumented version in the works as well, using Jens Kristensen's gauge set for the Hastings.

I have also created a paint kit for the plane (all variants), and have some North American airlines in the pipe.

More to come as I continue work...

SOH-CM-2020
    OH YEAH

Another favorite of mine, looking forward to any improvement and especially some US repaints

Thanks

Pete.

This is one of those projects where I wish I had the 3-D modeling skillz to modify the Ambassador -- give it proper 3350 nacelles and props (probably from the DC-7C), and a Curtiss-style single tail like the Commando. I imagine that version looking like a 200%-scale Hunting-Percival Pembroke.

So some revision, and here's the Centaurus-engine version of the panel.

Some other instrument variations, befitting the British nature of the panel. SEP-2 autopilot from Rick Piper's HS748 (the AP pops up beneath the cowl flap switches on the right of the panel, but because I am running 1600x1200 it might be a little small for lower resolutions -- gonna have to make it bigger), boost gauges instead of MAP, and so on. Still have some tweaking to do, like finding out why the landing lights switch keeps disappearing from the overhead, some gauge adjustments/replacements, and a little more paint work. SFSG. Also have to work on my paint kit a little more as there is an alignment issue between the fore and aft sections of the fuselage. The overlap is a little different than what I expected.

SOH-CM-2020
    Looking great.

My panel preference will be the American Curtiss R3350-powered version

Thanks.

Pete.

Members who have read this thread: 0