FR P-40N - Bare Metal

Thread: FR P-40N - Bare Metal

FR P-40N - Bare Metal

Just a small update. Thought I'd post a few shots of the P-40N in some bare metal schemes, as they appeared towards the end of the War. There will be other nationalities included, these are just the schemes that are more-or-less complete as of today.

8th Fighter Squadron, Biak Island. This aircraft was likely stripped of camouflage in theatre:

Curtiss factory scheme, 1944:

Royal Canadian Air Force, 1945:

8th Fighter Squadron, Biak Island. Note out-of-standard-position fuselage markings, plus overpainted non-standard serial on fuselage. This was probably one busy aircraft:

Royal Canadian Air Force, 1945:

Mike

Charter Member 2011
    very nice
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Hello!
    If your accepting suggestions of paints, here is one that makes me a 100% sure buyer:

Attachment 78378
    P40N - FAB - Brazilian Air Force
    Of course, just a suggestion! Thanks! :ernae:
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

looks prety good,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the previews, this is another one on the watch list for me.

Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    Hello!
    If your accepting suggestions of paints, here is one that makes me a 100% sure buyer:

Already in the pipeline.

Mike

You should do a after WWII surp one dirty used one

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Already in the pipeline.

Mike
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looking absolutely superb, Mike! I especially like the RCAF example - elegant, but also very business-like. Although a P-40N, it reminds me of the Maude family's amazing (in large part preserved) RCAF P-40E:
    http://www.rcafkittyhawk.com/picindex.htm (some really amazing detail photos inside and out (old and recent) here: http://www.rcafkittyhawk.com/afterwingchange.htm)

And more photos:

http://p40hawksnest.co.nf/Survivors/AK803.html/

http://www.trevormctavish.com/photom...profile003.htm

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ak803/p...#photo_9589391

The aircraft sports the last paint scheme it wore while in RCAF service - in 1946 the aircraft was purchased by George Maude when the aircraft was surplused...for only $50! It was amongst a batch of about 50 RCAF P-40's, if I remember correctly, that were surplused at Patricia Bay and all sold for $50 a piece (as I recall, a couple of individuals purchased something like 15-20 examples each). For a number of years the aircraft was simply parked outside of the Maude family's house, with wings removed, and George Maude would perform routine engine runs to help maintain the engine (a number of unique photos from this time period can be seen within the photo albums in the first link). Through the 70's and 80's the aircraft was restored back to complete and operational condition, but not flown, and remains owned by the Maude family to this day.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Which model was powered by the RR Merlin? M or N?

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

AussieMan, I read somewhere that the F and L series P-40's got single stage Merlin's but never 2 stage. They were the V-1650-1 which was a US built Merlin XX series, and was a single stage, two speed engine. Eventually all the Merlin's were pulled out of the P-40s and they were use in P-51s. The F and L series P-40s were removed from front line service, were re-engined with V-1710's and used as advanced trainers designated the P-40R. Think this is correct.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Can't wait to get started on a couple of Dutch Air Force schemes...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Ah, finally a first class rendition of one of my favorites! I am anxiously awaiting this beauty.

Already in the pipeline.

Mike
    Thanks! Just waiting the release :salute:
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -

Blog Entries

Great suggestion! I am working on it...

Attachment 78434
    Quote Originally Posted by flaviossa View Post
    Hello!

Attachment 78378
    P40N - FAB - Brazilian Air Force
    I got inspired by the little jpg you posted... Flavio...
    I cannot afford those fancy paywares... so I decided to dress up one of the very good
    freeware P-40s available... As usual, I start by composing a profile - which I then use
    for the texture... to get a feel for the paintjob I intend to execute...
    btw... Eu morei no Brazil uma volta... e falo muito bem o Portugues.. Muito obrigado pela ideia

Attachment 78433

I had a "senior moment" I guess... lol
    Discovered a glaring error on the canopy... front end missing... so I just touched it up... and
    now it looks right!

With every set of teasers, this get's better, and better!

Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Recall seeing Mark Hanna test fly one of the NewZealand P-40 rebuilds at Wanaka 1992.. with not a mark or stain on it <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Recall seeing Mark Hanna test fly one of the NewZealand P-40 rebuilds at Wanaka 1992.. with not a mark or stain on it <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input id="jsProxy" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type="hidden" jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()">
    Vintage Wings in Ottawa actually have a woman who's sole job is to make sure there is not a single visible drop of oil, dirt, etc., anywhere on their aircraft.... she actually uses q-tips to clean the edges of engine panels, hidden parts of inner flanges, everywhere.

As promised, seeing as I'm still doing some bare-metal schemes, a few views of the Força Aérea Brasileira P-40N, plus a few of the RAAF version whist we're here (there will also be a painted version).

Hard to get the Brazil colours correctly, and so started with the official colours, and then modified them until the green and yellow had the same tonal relationship as seen in black-and-white photos of the period (1954) by taking screenshots and then making those into b+w. May yet change the scheme as some illustrations show no.5 to be a P-40M, and would like to remove the doubt.

Lastly, just an updated view of the 8th FS aircraft, thanks in part to the good research and eagle eyes of Owen F.. The aircraft appears to have been overhauled and stripped of paint by an Australian maintenance location before being returned to fight, and the windscreen and canopy components appear to have been also replaced sometime even later by those from a camouflaged P-40 which then had the paint removed from just the larger flat surfaces.

More to come.

Mike

That is coming up spondulley A-29 650 I'm sure i have a photo in action here in the Hebridedes

As promised, seeing as I'm still doing some bare-metal schemes, a few views of the Força Aérea Brasileira P-40N, plus a few of the RAAF version whist we're here (there will also be a painted version).

Hard to get the Brazil colours correctly, and so started with the official colours, and then modified them until the green and yellow had the same tonal relationship as seen in black-and-white photos of the period (1954) by taking screenshots and then making those into b+w. May yet change the scheme as some illustrations show no.5 to be a P-40M, and would like to remove the doubt.

Lastly, just an updated view of the 8th FS aircraft, thanks in part to the good research and eagle eyes of Owen F.. The aircraft appears to have been overhauled and stripped of paint by an Australian maintenance location before being returned to fight, and the windscreen and canopy components appear to have been also replaced sometime even later by those from a camouflaged P-40 which then had the paint removed from just the larger flat surfaces.

More to come.

Mike
    Yes! Where do i put my credit card number?
    Thanks a lot for your efforts Mike!

Looking great Mike. I'm looking forward to flying it.

It certainly looks nice, I look forward to fly and paint it
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Beautiful! I'm itching to get my hands on this...

The P-40N has loads of repaint options and I'm really looking forward to seeing yours, Jankees.

Owen.

Members who have read this thread: 0