Just finished a new 2D panel for the Storch.. - Page 6
Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Just finished a new 2D panel for the Storch..

Question

Gaucho,
    I take it you want a partner to turn your 'picture' 2D panels into gauge fitted and working panels?

I've got to admit this is one of the best places to advertise your work.

A few thoughts, ideas.
    Have you approached any of the well know modellers here at the SOH to see if you could team or input to their work? (higher profile on the back of a SOH freebie)
    How about some paid for donation-ware work at the SOH. People pay to have their custom 'picture' 2D panel, some money to you and some to the SOH? (won't be huge money, but may give you a start).
    Have you approached the main sim producers in the commercial world? (unfortunately a lot of FSXers use the VC, so 2D is not so well thought of. Unless you're an FS2004 or CFS2-er)

Have you built a fully functioning 2D panel? It's not that hard with freebie progs like Cfgedit or cheap Abacus CustomPanelDesigner, and others. It would slow you down in production but it's not that bigger step, the hard part is painting the panel, which you do so well.

Cheers

Shessi

Blog Entries

Yes and NO....

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Gaucho,
    I take it you want a partner to turn your 'picture' 2D panels into gauge fitted and working panels?

I've got to admit this is one of the best places to advertise your work.

A few thoughts, ideas.
    Have you approached any of the well know modellers here at the SOH to see if you could team or input to their work? (higher profile on the back of a SOH freebie)
    How about some paid for donation-ware work at the SOH. People pay to have their custom 'picture' 2D panel, some money to you and some to the SOH? (won't be huge money, but may give you a start).
    Have you approached the main sim producers in the commercial world? (unfortunately a lot of FSXers use the VC, so 2D is not so well thought of. Unless you're an FS2004 or CFS2-er)

Have you built a fully functioning 2D panel? It's not that hard with freebie progs like Cfgedit or cheap Abacus CustomPanelDesigner, and others. It would slow you down in production but it's not that bigger step, the hard part is painting the panel, which you do so well.

Cheers

Shessi
    Yes, I would like to produce some good stuff with someone whose expertise with gauges and panel configurations would do justice to my work....
    No, I am not interested in making any money... got plenty of that (I am a retired military officer who used to do anesthesia for a living both in the military and after I retired)....
    At almost 76 years of age... money is not really what life is about... health and wisdom are far more important... I own a house in Italy and one here in California both fully paid...
    so... in a nutshell... I would like to make a contribution for all those folks who cannot afford payware quality stuff...
    I have been using that program config.sys and can do an adequate job with it... but I do not know all the intricacies of mgx (or whatever it is) gauges, etc...
    just that I think I can best use my time on what I can do best... artwork... leave the serious stuff to those who know what they are doing....
    Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of developers long in knowledge but a bit short on artistry... seem to be on some kind of ego trip... tried doing artwork for two or three guys...
    and they redo my work... where it looks very amateurish but suits what they think their panel should be... to little avail...
    I did some fantastic textures (modesty aside) for some people and they eventually produced a model they can say: model, textures and etc. by "Joe Blow"... and frankly their stuff looks
    like a mediocre copy of what I did... some are in too much of a hurry and do piss poor artwork... At the end of the day (to use a much overused cliche')... they have very fixed ideas and
    won't deal with anything that deviates from them... If you follow some of the work I did on another thread (WW2 on CFS2) you know what I mean... produced several very fine versions of
    a Devastator panel... and the guy doing the model opted for his own versions that were essentially the same disposition... but much poorer artwork...
    What can I say... Did some fine interior work for another SOH project and the same ended up with no interiors (obviously a man of integrity) because he basically fired me off the project due
    to minor differences of opinion... I think the model was the loser in terms of no interior views anymore...
    Basically, I would like some tekkie type to say... "here is a basic sketch of what I exactly want Ole Man... you just turn it into a believable piece of artwork... when you finish, let me see it and
    I tell you what I want changed, etc...." I am extremely flexible... fast and reliable... and can do something over and over till the receiver finds it acceptable...
    Now... when someone who cannot wield a brush to save his life tells you "It's all wrong" and does not give you a quick sketch of what they envision... I don't need aggravation...
    So... I know someone will eventually take notice of my work... and will pop the question... so to speak..
    In the meantime... I really appreciate your comments because they are always precise and germane to the subject... Thank again... and please keep advising me...
    Tchuess!

Gaucho,

I can see and understand your frustration......people can be funny b*ggers at times!

I thought you may mean 'for money' when you mentioned 'payware', so doing it for nichts is good stuff.

And yes if you go down the intricacies of xml gauges it can be difficult, although producing a fully finished simple panel may help, when people can use the panel straight away?

I would really like to help, but like a lot of people, so much to do, so little time...etc etc, but I think you're right, that someone will eventually say yes. Best of luck.

Shessi

Blog Entries

I might be down your way soon....

Gaucho,

I can see and understand your frustration......people can be funny b*ggers at times!

I thought you may mean 'for money' when you mentioned 'payware', so doing it for nichts is good stuff.

And yes if you go down the intricacies of xml gauges it can be difficult, although producing a fully finished simple panel may help, when people can use the panel straight away?

I would really like to help, but like a lot of people, so much to do, so little time...etc etc, but I think you're right, that someone will eventually say yes. Best of luck.

Shessi
    Whereabouts are you in the UK... I will be going to Schweinfurt for a few months in July... and have a friend in RAF Mildenhall (USAF) whom I will visit because it is
    really easy to travel Space A on the C-17 weekly runs... If you are not far from there it would lnteresting to meet an SOH acquaintance in person... Again, thanks for your
    attention and comments...

That would be good to have a beer!
    That's typical though, I used to live about 50 miles from Mildenhall, but a couple of years ago I moved, and am now about 250+ miles away, so not just down the road, which is a shame.

Well enjoy Schweinfurt, have 'ein bier und wurst' on the SOH :ernae:

Shessi

Blog Entries

Old Ju-87 panel refurbished...

That would be good to have a beer!
    That's typical though, I used to live about 50 miles from Mildenhall, but a couple of years ago I moved, and am now about 250+ miles away, so not just down the road, which is a shame.

Well enjoy Schweinfurt, have 'ein bier und wurst' on the SOH :ernae:

Shessi
    Comments welcome....

gaucho,

Your work is outstanding, better than most I have seen as far as panel bitmaps go.

As far as I understand, you are looking for someone to put gauges into the panels. I can do some of this work if want me to help through using FS Panel Studio. I cannot design gauges but I can place the right ones in any panel.

Your problems with people who did not do justice to your work only show that some out there have no sense of decency, respect for others and ability to appreciate work that is better.

I have run into a similar problem with a man who has made some scenery for fs9 and I have gone to great pains to do an updated AI aircraft traffic file for his scenery that is based on recent visits to the airfield his scenery represents. I cannot begin to tell you what nonsense I am getting from him. And he is not capable of making any good ai traffic files himself, esp. as my files will include aircraft I have made repaints of to match the real ones I saw recently at that airfield. He cannot make ANY repaints at all--and that is what my traffic file will include..repaints of the planes I saw flying there, original work done for the first time.

There is nothing much one can do about such people.

Blog Entries

You hit it right on the nose...

Quote Originally Posted by jinx View Post
    gaucho,

Your work is outstanding, better than most I have seen as far as panel bitmaps go.

As far as I understand, you are looking for someone to put gauges into the panels. I can do some of this work if want me to help through using FS Panel Studio. I cannot design gauges but I can place the right ones in any panel.

Your problems with people who did not do justice to your work only show that some out there have no sense of decency, respect for others and ability to appreciate work that is better.

I have run into a similar problem with a man who has made some scenery for fs9 and I have gone to great pains to do an updated AI aircraft traffic file for his scenery that is based on recent visits to the airfield his scenery represents. I cannot begin to tell you what nonsense I am getting from him. And he is not capable of making any good ai traffic files himself, esp. as my files will include aircraft I have made repaints of to match the real ones I saw recently at that airfield. He cannot make ANY repaints at all--and that is what my traffic file will include..repaints of the planes I saw flying there, original work done for the first time.

There is nothing much one can do about such people.
    It reminds me of my old days in anesthesia residency... we used to say: "There are those who can do and do it... and then those who can't and teach...."
    You try your best and they always find something why it isn't right...
    At any rate... I can work the textures of gauges and do almost anything with them... add reflective glass, new faces, etc. and can place them accurately too... but that is about
    all I can do (I use config.sys program... similar to the one you mentioned)... What I would like is for someone to do "pop-ups" like a yoke pedestal that can be turned off to see
    the gauges behind it and pop back up for "looks".... gauges that do the same, etc.
    At any rate, we can try and see if you can produce something relatively good looking and functional... and put them up for those folks who want to used them...
    Thanks a lot for the offer...

Blog Entries

Here is another example of what...

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    It reminds me of my old days in anesthesia residency... we used to say: "There are those who can do and do it... and then those who can't and teach...."
    You try your best and they always find something why it isn't right...
    At any rate... I can work the textures of gauges and do almost anything with them... add reflective glass, new faces, etc. and can place them accurately too... but that is about
    all I can do (I use config.sys program... similar to the one you mentioned)... What I would like is for someone to do "pop-ups" like a yoke pedestal that can be turned off to see
    the gauges behind it and pop back up for "looks".... gauges that do the same, etc.
    At any rate, we can try and see if you can produce something relatively good looking and functional... and put them up for those folks who want to used them...
    Thanks a lot for the offer...
    A few years ago the Brazilian Da Silva bros came up with a very nice model of the NA AT-6 that however was rather primitive in the textures....
    Here is an example of how far one can stretch the possibilities of such a model with a little patience and attention to detail...

Before and after:

Blog Entries

With the revival of Akemi's fine mounts....

A few years ago the Brazilian Da Silva bros came up with a very nice model of the NA AT-6 that however was rather primitive in the textures....
    Here is an example of how far one can stretch the possibilities of such a model with a little patience and attention to detail...

Before and after:
    After the fine efforts developed lately, I thought I'd give Akemi's Ki 84 panel a
    little "touch of magic" so to speak...

Blog Entries

And one for the road... I mean Rufe

After the fine efforts developed lately, I thought I'd give Akemi's Ki 84 panel a
    little "touch of magic" so to speak...
    Here is the standard CFS2 refurbished...

Blog Entries

meantime, back in the 1920s...

Here is the standard CFS2 refurbished...
    here is an oldie but goodie...

Blog Entries

wheels keep on turning....

here is an oldie but goodie...
    Here's one for the razorback P-47D... had it languishing amongst my abandoned projects...
    so I thought I'd finish it up....

Blog Entries

Thought Ito's Mavis panel could use a redo...

Here's one for the razorback P-47D... had it languishing amongst my abandoned projects...
    so I thought I'd finish it up....
    Comments and constructive criticism welcome...

Superb as ever G!

I like the mix of photo-real and pictures gauges, the subtle reflections that they have give a little 3D feel. The open cockpit Junkers A20 is particularily good, looks like sun shining in on a great flying day.

Have you picked up the freeware pack of old Alphasim panels, 160 good basic 2D cockpit/bare panels. Maybe good for a bit of panel bashing? If you haven't got them I think they're here, if not let me know.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Shessi

nicely done buddy!

how's the Profile Artistry going by the way?

Blog Entries

Hi Matt, a few profiles to finish, here's...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    nicely done buddy!

panel for a Re 2001 whose profile and repaint I am working on...
    Wonderful repaint of that P-51 by the way... did you say something about
    it could be adapted to the FSX default one?
    If so, could you elaborate how?

panel for a Re 2001 whose profile and repaint I am working on...
    Wonderful repaint of that P-51 by the way... did you say something about
    it could be adapted to the FSX default one?
    If so, could you elaborate how?
    sadly not for the default one over in the dark side.... yet.... but i have 3 of the 4 bases covered... thanks for the compliments regarding the mustang paints, i do have a few in the pipeline, though mostly for the Freeware Warwick Carter P-51D

Blog Entries

The Warwick, eh?

sadly not for the default one over in the dark side.... yet.... but i have 3 of the 4 bases covered... thanks for the compliments regarding the mustang paints, i do have a few in the pipeline, though mostly for the Freeware Warwick Carter P-51D
    Oh, I didn't realize that... I got that one so I am going to download your repaint!:salute:

Blog Entries

Here's the profile, next...

nicely done buddy!

I'll do the textures...

nice work pal... here's my current work in progress, projected for sale with Classic Air Force in Newquay...

Attachment 88824

Blog Entries

Looks fantastic!

nice work pal... here's my current work in progress, projected for sale with Classic Air Force in Newquay...

Attachment 88824
    Are you going to do it as doped fabric aluminum? It's my favorite Dragon Rapide...
    Let me see it when you are finished, OK:

Blog Entries

Getting back to profiles...

Are you going to do it as doped fabric aluminum? It's my favorite Dragon Rapide...
    Let me see it when you are finished, OK:
    You got me inspired with the Dragon Rapide!

darken your shadows a touch more, it really brings out the depth

but fantastic work, glad to know i'm not the only Profile artist here :salute: one of these days i'll do a livestream as i start a profile, could be a long livestream as i'm known to spend a hundred or more hours just tinkering before adding the details... whoops!

Blog Entries

Actually...

darken your shadows a touch more, it really brings out the depth

but fantastic work, glad to know i'm not the only Profile artist here :salute: one of these days i'll do a livestream as i start a profile, could be a long livestream as i'm known to spend a hundred or more hours just tinkering before adding the details... whoops!
    The original (3,000 x 2,000 at 800 dpi) is overall much richer and darker... lost a lot of detail and clarity on this jpg... keeping downsizes till I get the right size for posting...
    Do you know how to upload here at larger than 1024 by 768?...
    It won't accept anything bigger than that... but I see other folks uploading much larger pix...

You are right... darkening does bring it out much better