Question on default runway markings

Thread: Question on default runway markings

Question on default runway markings

Hi everyone!

Does anybody know which texture(s) is used for the default runway markings (centerline, threshold etc.)?

I changed these once upon a time but I forget how I did it.

Merry christmas!
    Sascha

There are a couple or three of packages that offer what I think are better textures, worn and so forth. Real Env Pro, Soulprana, Taxiway 2, Spice Paks all come to mind. Can't remember which I use but one of those ought to improve things. I'll try to remember which does runway textures specifically.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

The file you're looking for is taxiway_marks.bmp, and it's in the main Texture folder.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    The file you're looking for is taxiway_marks.bmp, and it's in the main Texture folder.
    Thank you, but do these also control the runway markings?

They only control the yellow markings as far as I know - and maybe not all of those. If you change to another version of that file, anything else that stays the same is not changeable. As far as I know, none of the white lines are bitmapped at all. Instead, they're auto-generated as part of the airport's AFCAD.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    They only control the yellow markings as far as I know - and maybe not all of those. If you change to another version of that file, anything else that stays the same is not changeable. As far as I know, none of the white lines are bitmapped at all. Instead, they're auto-generated as part of the airport's AFCAD.
    I remember having changed them once, adding an alpha channel and makinf them a bit transparent so they blended better with the runway texture. But that was a couple of years back ...:isadizzy:

The actual runway textures are runway11 and runway12 bitmaps. Not sure where the markings are hiding though.
    How about a search at Flightsim.com in the Misc section of the library for one of the many replacement sets ???
    At the very least, if you download one of these sets you should be able to narrow down the number of files you need to look through

Cheers
    Stefan

Thank you all for the input! As far as I can tell after some fiddling, the runway markings are indeed hiding in the taxiway_marks.bmp (the "blank" bits in the alpha channel) but it needs manipulation of the alpha channel to see any effect on the default runway markings.

Cheers and a very happy new year to you all!
    Sascha

There is a replacement for that file on Avsim - I think I used it many years ago myself:
    http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=42463
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0