3 news worthy Christmas gifts!

Thread: 3 news worthy Christmas gifts!

3 news worthy Christmas gifts!

First off....Merry Christmas to all SOH members and their families!

This year, Deb did a great job shopping for me....far better than she has before. Three of the gifts I unwrapped are good enough to be news worthy.

Number 1: A book called The Mullah's Storm. Written by Thomas W. Young, the novel is about a C-130 that is shot down over Afghanistan while transporting a high level Taliban detainee and the struggle for the navigator and interrogator face to survive and avoid capture. Haven't started reading the book yet...just the inside cover......the author was a USAF aircrew member who stated "When I first flew to Afghanistan, what scared me the most wasn't the thought of getting shot down and killed. It was the thought of getting shot down and not killed."

Number 2: The tin-boxed Band of Brothers set.....all ten episodes on 6 DVDs! Yes sir! My next three day weekend will find me kicked back in my comfy chair, wearing my flannel jammie lounger pants, a sweat shirt, my big hairy monster feet house shoes, munching on pizza and chips, watching all 10 episodes back to back.

A Drum Roll Please!!!!

Number 3: My first ever RC airplane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a very basic RC plane. Controls for power and rudder only. A good plane to enter the hobby of RC flight with. As soon as favorable RCing weather hits, I will be like and then I will be like because when it comes to RC flying it's not "if you crash, it's when you crash". The plane sort of kind of looks like a P-51D...close enough to know that it is supposed to be a P-51D. Electric powered.......average flight time on a full charge is 8 minutes...like I said, a good entry level RC plane to begin the hobby with. I just hope that Deb knows that she has opened a can of worms with the present and that the new hobby she has given me will prove to be a LOT more expensive than flight simming ever was for me.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

merryCHRistmas OBIO!

:ernae:THATSwhat the season is all aboutgringeHYAALL AVE,AGOODUN!,AICH
    DONT CRY WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE
    SMILE BECAUSE YOU KNEW THAT PERSON
    IN ABOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    First off....Merry Christmas to all SOH members and their families!

Snippage....

Number 2: The tin-boxed Band of Brothers set.....all ten episodes on 6 DVDs! Yes sir! My next three day weekend will find me kicked back in my comfy chair, wearing my flannel jammie lounger pants, a sweat shirt, my big hairy monster feet house shoes, munching on pizza and chips, watching all 10 episodes back to back.

More snippage !!
    OBIO
    Heh, I have that one. Watched it all several times and still see new things. The "back side" second dvd in each set has a wealth of info about the making of BoBs. Was fun watching those Hollywood types sweatin' a little in the "boot camp" to get them up to making authentic soldier noises.

and to 'em all.
    Hmm, insert your own witty saying here --

Great gifts to be sure Obio. Band of Brothers is an excellent series and probably one of the best ever made. My platoon sergeant in VN was with the 101st in WWII and made the jumps at Normandy and Market Garden.
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

good stuff...my favorite gift this year was a 4 dvd set of Ms Marple movies with Margert rutherford as miss marple....she was the best...my ex brother inlaws mother...odd thing this ,,,mike..my ex brother inlaw,who told my sister two weeks after marrying her..i dont love you,i married you because i love your brother and want to be close to him....i freaked when she told me...but they stayed together for 13 years,until he died of brain cancer...she (my sister is now remarried to a real nice guy ( who LIKES to work) mike was "allergic" to work it seemed...but mikes mother is still close to all of us and she still spends holidays with us,instead of her own family...and my new brother inlaw goes to her house daily to help her with daily chores as shes in her late 80s.......odd..........anyway..she gave me 25 bucks and told me to buy a plane for flight sim......i didnt know she even knew i had FSX...guess she does listen...lol

Suggestion for Obio

Obio,

If you like the "Band of Brothers," you'll also like the 1974 movie based on the book of the same title by Cornelius Ryan:

A Bridge too Far

Read the book first if you can. There is so much going on that some background knowledge will help you enjoy the movie. Of course my alma mater, the 101st was there as well as the 82nd Airborne, the British 1st Airborne and the Polish Airborne Brigade. Wonderful acting, detailed and correct equipment, reasonable attempts at period armored vehicles and a sky full of C-47 Skytrains.

Another great movie based on a book by the same author is the 1962 movie: The Longest Day
    Keep your airspeed up,

Jagdflieger

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...me=Jagdflieger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
    to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
    deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Congratulations on the airplane Obio... I took the plunge a little while back.. And while my financial situation does not allow me to fly RC too often, I am trying to get better and better. I dove right in though, and my first plane was a 52" wingspan 4-Channel Cessna. I remembered I was terrified.... I had no help, no training, no teacher. I will tell you though, and I am never good at anything.... I held my own. And really, I don't know why I didn't crash my first few flights... I truly believe it has a lot to do with flying FS from the Tower view a lot, and I mean A LOT growing up....

I will tell you though, you will learn EXTREMELY fast the do's and don'ts of RC. It is a sport where its not optional to learn from your mistakes, it is imperative!!! I have learned from every accident/bang up/crash I have had. My brother lost his first plane because he flew into the sun, even after my urging of keeping the sun to your back. I had a close call when I flew over my head the first time... Don't do that anymore. DON'T get over confident and start doing inverted passes.... had my first catastrophic crash that way. Most imporatant, keep at it....

Which airplane did you get? I might be able to help you pick out your next plane from here!

Congratulations Obio... I'm here if you have questions, of course..... i'm almost as much of a noob as you...................

-witt
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

Charter Member 2016
    You made out like a bandit - she did a great job. Merry Christmas!

"Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

Welcome to the wonderfull world of RC flying. I fly everything from foam park flyers to 1/4 scale 38cc petrol (gas) engine planes.

Big money pit though.

Some of mine. And a link to some pictures of me and my mates flying RC http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinfairgrieve/
    Attachment 77878Attachment 77879Attachment 77880Attachment 77881Attachment 77890Attachment 77889Attachment 77891Attachment 77892

Here's the best (meaning least likely to give you a trojan or malware) that I could find for the RC plane my wife got me. On a scale from 1 to 10, this plane is maybe a 1.5. It really is a crappy RC plane and I really hope that she got it for a lot less than the prices I have seen listed for it......$80 to $150. Granted, Deb knows NOTHING about RC planes....so she did not know that this plane was way over priced and that for about the same money a much better RTF package could have been picked up from some of the dedicated RC vendors online. But, she knows that I have been wanting an RC plane for a long time and that I would not buy myself one......she took the steps to get me into the RC hobby and for that I am very grateful and thankful.

http://www.meijer.com/s/golden-brigh...ane/_/R-234806

I have been looking at some of the packages on various RC sites and really....getting my next plane will not be that much of a Bank Breaker. $130 will get me into a nice 3 or 4 channel RTF package.....once I use the current plane to get a bit of RCing experience. I know that once I step up from this 2-channel (motor and rudder controls only) to a 3- or 4-channel plane that I will have a lot to learn (and will crash the new plane many many times while learning to fly it)....but that's what comes with being in the RC hobby.

Tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    Congrats on your presents OBIO
    I thought this is the one you got:
    Ultra Micro P-51 RTF

Which is a really nice entry level R/C aircraft and is very sturdy due to it´s foam construction, i got it, and while i really didn't catch in the R/C hobby(some moons ago my wife gave me an R/C chopper) i still fly both from time to time.
    Enjoy it, dude..

Best regards

Prowler

It's the thought that counts Obio! at least she went out on a limb and did that for you! Unfortunately, if she only knew what kind of doorway she just opened....

I have heard a lot of good things about folks learning on this little bug... You CANNOT fly it on a windy day though.. So here in Ohio, we must wait until a nice calm evening in the summer/fall.... but it will be a good 'next' step for you... and it comes RTF for about $89....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/champ-rtf-HBZ4900

-witt
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.